[OT] fridge life of cooked mushrooms?

Old June 3rd 06, 02:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default [OT] fridge life of cooked mushrooms?

On 2006-06-02, Christina Websell penned:

I had an awful experience with a two day old prawn which I would not like to
repeat. Ever.

Two? Wow.

It's true that I try not to have leftovers for shrimp meals.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old June 3rd 06, 02:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

wrote in message
Joy wrote:

Another thing that will keep longer if you don't keep it tightly sealed
is
lettuce. I buy the prepared salads that come in bags. If I seal the
bag,
it gets slimy in two or three days. If I leave the bag open, it will
keep
for as much as a week.

I just learned this lesson with fresh basil leaves. They were in a
semi-hard plastic box that had holes in it, and were fine. Then I
transferred them to a ziploc bag to make a little more room in the
veggie crisper, and they got all slimy in a day!

Joyce

The holes allow the moisture to escape. You can buy plastic bags with holes
in them that are designed specifically for storing produce.
Another way is to use paper bags. The paper absorb the moisture. But my
problem is I forget about them as, unlike plastic bags, you can't see
through
them.

Winnie

Old June 3rd 06, 02:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default fridge life of cooked mushrooms?

On 2006-06-02, EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) penned:

And I closer to TWO weeks! (Or longer, if it gets shoved to the
back of the shelf.) So long as it looks and smells okay, tastes all
right, and hasn't grown a white fur coat, heating it thoroughly
before using it will take care of any potential problems.

I tend to agree with you, but I do have this thing about tomato sauce
because as a kid I guess a teacher mentioned an experiment involving
growing mold on tomato sauce, and I don't think we were supposed to do
it, but anyway I thought we were and left it in the basement for a few
months and ... ew.

White fur coat, indeed. With grey spots.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old June 3rd 06, 02:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-06-02 17:43:36 -0500, "Christina Websell"
said:

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message
About a week ago we added sauteed green onions and mushrooms, as well
as grilled bell peppers and zucchini, to spaghetti sauce (the kind in
a plastic jar).

I was thinking that with no meat, it would still be good, but someone
told me that mushrooms go bad in 2-3 days.

Thoughts? Do I need to toss all that sauce?

Dunno, It's up to you. I don't keep these meals-type-of thingies in my
fridge for more than 3-4 days. Cheese is fine for ages.
I tend to freeze meals/sauce leftovers.
I think you need to toss it, Monique, there is no way I would eat a
meal that had been in my fridge for a week. It would go to the
chickens. 3 days is max for me.
I had an awful experience with a two day old prawn which I would not
like to repeat. Ever.

Tweed

Have to agree. 4 days would be absolute tops for me.

Old June 3rd 06, 02:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"W. Leong" wrote in message
.. .

wrote in message
Joy wrote:

[...]

Sometimes there seems to be a lot of moisture in the bag, in which case, I
crumple up a paper towel and insert it after I've removed the first serving.

Joy

Old June 3rd 06, 03:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Matthew wrote:

I learned my lesson also growing up. MY MOTHER was the type to keep food
for weeks after expiration date. Here words were always oh it is still good
even though the date was months out.
I got food poisoning so many times growing up and eating at her house that
it got to the point when we ate there I demanded to see the box or cans that
she cooked and if they were out of date more than a couple days.

Well, some people have exceedingly sensitive stomachs - even
a change in drinking water sets them off, but "expiration
dates" on some foods are purely arbitrary, with no
relationship to the real world! (My mother's rules, back
before canned goods bore such things were "If it bulges,
throw it out." and "Don't use it if it smells bad, and
always boil canned food at least ten minutes to kill any
bacteria." (And of course "Never use any canned food
straight from the can - you should heat it thoroughly first".)

Old June 3rd 06, 03:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Matthew wrote:

rule of thumb is less than a week in a frig depending on the traffic in the
frig personally 5 days is tops for any cooked food in the frig unless you
have it in a real vacuum seal product than two to 3 weeks depending on the
food.

......Or reheat it in the interim? I can understand why
these youngsters who've never know a world without electric
refrigerators would be so paranoid, but I had the impression
you and I were about the same generation! ....Or have you
always lived in Florida? Climate does make a difference,
and the old-fashioned "ice box" probably didn't solve
problems so well there as it did in Minnesota's summers.
(In wintertime, there, we just put food between the storm
window and the sash window - often it froze, even when we
didn't want it to.)

Old June 3rd 06, 04:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Jo Firey wrote:
"Irulan" wrote in message
I've kept cooked mushrooms for at least a week in the 'fridge with no
adverse reactions. Most cooked foods will last at least that long as long
as they are kept in tight containers.
Raw mushrooms don't look or smell too good after a few days in the 'fridge
though.

Fresh mushrooms will keep a lot longer if you don't store them in a tightly
sealed bag. And always buy ones where the gills aren't showing yet. They
will keep longer.

The best way to store raw mushrooms is in a paper bag or a perforated
box. I just bought a small box of morels and am trying to figure out
what to make of them. Our morels are very poisonous, so they have to be
parboiled several times in a well-aired location before you can use
them. If you don't hear from me again, I will not have done it enough
times. ;o)

Old June 3rd 06, 06:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-06-02, Joy penned:

Another thing that will keep longer if you don't keep it tightly
sealed is lettuce. I buy the prepared salads that come in bags. If
I seal the bag, it gets slimy in two or three days. If I leave the
bag open, it will keep for as much as a week.

Those bagged salads seem to last forever -- like multiple weeks -- for
me. Maybe the arid climate?

As long as you try to buy them with a long "sell by" date and as long as you
don't open the bag they keep pretty well. Isn't there some sort of gas in
the bags that works as a preservative? Like what they have in cold storage
warehouses?

Jo

Old June 3rd 06, 09:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Matthew wrote:

I learned my lesson also growing up. MY MOTHER was the type to keep food
for weeks after expiration date. Here words were always oh it is still good
even though the date was months out.
I got food poisoning so many times growing up and eating at her house that
it got to the point when we ate there I demanded to see the box or cans that
she cooked and if they were out of date more than a couple days.

Oh my god, Matthew, I feel your pain!! My mother was the same way!

I didn't actually get food poisoning as a kid, so your mother must have
been worse. But my mom's a pack rat, can't throw anything out, and that
includes food. We often had moldy food in the fridge or cabinets, sour
milk, etc. She didn't feed this to us at least! It would just sit in
there for months.

Even when I was visiting her a few months ago to help her move, there
was a bunch of old stuff in her fridge. My sister had the unenviable job
of cleaning it out. Every time she came across something out of date, we
all had to hear the details: "DECEMBER 2001, Mom???" and so forth.

The absolute worst episode I've ever had with my mother's inability to
throw away bad food happened only two years ago. But first: GROSSNESS
WARNING. This really could turn your stomach.
..
..
..
..
..
.... a bit of spoiler space for the weak-stomached ...
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
OK, you've been warned. I was hungry, and my mother offered me some
raisins. They were in a little tiny box, a single serving's amount. So
I ate it, thinking that the worst thing that could happen to raisins
was mold, and I'd be able to taste that. No mold. However, the consistency
was a bit grainy. I thought maybe there was sugar on it or something.
But then I looked at a few of them in my hand, and noticed that the
little grains were *black*. Not sugar.

And then I realized that the box of raisins had been kept in a cabinet
of dry foods that was overrun with some sort of grain moth infestation
or other small flying insect. And then it dawned on me... I was eating
BUG POOP!!! EWWWWWWWW!!!! Bleccccccchhh!!

I have never since accepted anything from my mother unless it's in a
sealed package and I'm opening it for the very first time!

Joyce