King prawns from Thailand OT

Old December 11th 12, 06:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default King prawns from Thailand OT

"Judith Latham" wrote in message
In article , Christina Websell
wrote:

"Judith Latham" wrote in message
In article , Christina Websell
wrote:
I will never eat them again. I saw a Tv program. There they are all
in their tanks, seeming happy, mating. Swimming. Next day the females
are in another tank on the bottom, not moving. The journalist asked
what was the matter with them. The person there refused to answer.
It turned out that they'd removed one eye from the female prawns as
somehow it makes them lay more eggs. Last prawns from Thailand I ever
eat.

I thought they were got from the sea. I had no idea about this.

I hate the way some people think that they can torture any live being.
My father in law has given me a bag of whole king prawns as a thank
you for something, I can't remember what. He just doesn't think about
the fact that I would find it unpleasant to say the least to shell
them. He's only known me for 41 years, he only realized I was
religious last year. I didn't want the prawns before and want them
even less now. He wouldn't know where they came from anyway. I shall
have to use them as I need the room in my freezer for Christmas and
don't want to cause a row with DH by throwing them away.

I am happy to eat them if they are caught wild in the sea (naively, I
thought they all were.) I am not happy to eat them if they are farmed
and have the eye plucked off the end of their antennae to make the girls
lay more eggs. No wonder the worker didn't want to reply to the
question "why don't they seem happy now?" The difference between how
those female prawns were in the mating tanks - swimming about happily -
and when we saw them in the laying tanks - it hurt my heart. They lay
on the bottom of the tank and hardly moved, as you would yourself if
you'd just had one of your eyes plucked out. It's disgusting and I am
grateful it has been brought to my attention via this TV programme
otherwise I would have continued to buy them. Tweed

It hurts my heart too. I'm glad you brought it to my attention too.

I'm going to have to use the ones I've been given, (he thought he was
being nice) but that's it. No more king prawns in my house as there is no
lobster, crab, veal or suckling pigs. my father in law had a suckling pig
once and said he didn't enjoy it, I thought good, you won't be buying
another then, you baby eater.

I recently discovered that the asian restaurants around here use Halal
meat. Dh told me this after I'd ordered my meal. I knew I couldn't eat it
then so I asked to change my order, I said that I would pay for the two
meals, they wouldn't let me do that. I had a lovely meal without meat.
When we then went to our favourite restaurant, Harry's, next, (we're well
known there and I really like the owner and the staff) DH, without my
knowledge went to the owner, Harry, and explained how I felt. He came over
and explained how it all happens, he was so concerned that I was happy.
The friends we were with and the people around us were a bit surprised to
hear such a conversation. It's not as bad as I thought but I'm still not
happy about it as they don't stun the animal. I eat a lot of fish in these
restaurants now. Harry has told me where they get their fish from just in
case I was worried. Bless him. Maybe I've made him think about it, which
is good. He's known me so many years he knows I don't make trouble for the
sake of it. As I said, I love the place and not just because I often get a
kiss there.

Halal meat is also something I will never eat. The animals get their
throats cut when they are fully conscious and it takes minutes for them to
bleed out and die. Imagine those terrifying minutes. Why can't they be
rendered unconscious first, so they are not aware?
I have no problem eating meat, providing they are reared and killed
humanely. I don't consider halal slaughter humane, even if a priest says a
prayer over them when they are dying as apparently happens.
Tweed

--
Judith Latham
Stourbridge, West Midlands. UK.

Old December 11th 12, 10:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Christina Websell wrote:

When I said I didn't want my cat to eat anything from China, I was accused
of being a racist. I don't care. When China put melamine in cat food to
boost the protein and not care how it killed them, yes, call me a racist if
I say The Chinese killed cats in America by introducing melamine to their
diet,
They did.

This is not racist, it's a fact.

As is the fact a lot of toys made in China for human children contain
harmful paint, etc. (What's wrong with keeping those manufacturing jobs
in countries where such factors are not a problem?)
Old December 11th 12, 11:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Chak

"Christina Websell" wrote in
:

Halal meat is also something I will never eat. The animals get their
throats cut when they are fully conscious and it takes minutes for
them to bleed out and die. Imagine those terrifying minutes. Why
can't they be rendered unconscious first, so they are not aware?
I have no problem eating meat, providing they are reared and killed
humanely. I don't consider halal slaughter humane, even if a priest
says a prayer over them when they are dying as apparently happens.

Kosher is the same.

Chak

--
I say, if your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to
seriously re-evaluate your life.
Old December 12th 12, 10:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Chak" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote in
:

Halal meat is also something I will never eat. The animals get their
throats cut when they are fully conscious and it takes minutes for
them to bleed out and die. Imagine those terrifying minutes. Why
can't they be rendered unconscious first, so they are not aware?
I have no problem eating meat, providing they are reared and killed
humanely. I don't consider halal slaughter humane, even if a priest
says a prayer over them when they are dying as apparently happens.

Kosher is the same.

Chak

But why?
Why is it important in any religion for the animals to be aware that they
are being killed?
Why can't they be rendered unconscious beforehand so they don't know
anything about it?

Maybe it's in the Bible, or the Koran.

Slit the throat of a goat or sheep and let it watch it's lifeblood flowing.
Should be illegal but it still happens.

Old December 13th 12, 02:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Chak

"Christina Websell" wrote in
:

Slit the throat of a goat or sheep and let it watch it's lifeblood
flowing. Should be illegal but it still happens.

I agree completely. If we ever meet another intelligent species, I wonder
what they will think of us.

Chak

Old December 13th 12, 02:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Chak wrote:

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote in

I just read an article today (I think in the NY Times) that now that
the unions have been gutted and transportation costs are so high,
lots of manufacturers are bringing their jobs back to the US again.

But do you think reducing the American workman's wages and benefits to
"coolie" status is the correct solution?

I absolutely don't. The unions were never a good solution to the
problem of worker exploitation, but they were a workable one.

Why do you say they're not a good solution? What do you think is a
better one?

It's thanks to the unions that we work only eight hours a day and we
get two weeks paid vacation.

As the bumper sticker says: "The Labor Movement - The People Who Brought
You The Weekend."

--
Joyce

Who ever thought up the word "Mammogram"? Every time I hear it, I think
I'm supposed to put my breast in an envelope and send it to someone.
-- Jan King
Old December 13th 12, 04:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Chak" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote in
:

Slit the throat of a goat or sheep and let it watch it's lifeblood
flowing. Should be illegal but it still happens.

I agree completely. If we ever meet another intelligent species, I wonder
what they will think of us.

Chak

Some religions should be reminded that this is the 21st century. We can eat
animals but should do it humanely.
How can it be OK to allow an animal to know it's throat is cut? Normally
they are shot in the head before this
so won't know.
Yes, this is what happens to your meat. They do have to be bled out but
usually we kill them with what's called a captive bolt beforehand.
I am not in favour of cutting the throat without stunning in the name of any
religion. I regard that as cruelty.

[BW] King Of... Yowie Cat anecdotes 5 August 29th 08 02:02 PM
Cat Ala King Billy Colburn Cat anecdotes 0 March 31st 08 04:05 AM
It's winter in Thailand - OT badwilson Cat anecdotes 36 December 23rd 05 12:00 AM
Violence in Thailand Victor Martinez Cat anecdotes 2 April 28th 04 02:29 PM
Deo is still King Bev Cat anecdotes 16 April 19th 04 07:42 PM