King prawns from Thailand OT

Old December 13th 12, 10:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_4_]

Default King prawns from Thailand OT

"Christina Websell" wrote:
"Chak" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote in
:

Slit the throat of a goat or sheep and let it watch it's lifeblood
flowing. Should be illegal but it still happens.

I agree completely. If we ever meet another intelligent species, I wonder
what they will think of us.

Chak

Some religions should be reminded that this is the 21st century. We can eat
animals but should do it humanely.
How can it be OK to allow an animal to know it's throat is cut? Normally
they are shot in the head before this
so won't know.
Yes, this is what happens to your meat. They do have to be bled out but
usually we kill them with what's called a captive bolt beforehand.
I am not in favour of cutting the throat without stunning in the name of any
religion. I regard that as cruelty.

All religions cause harm in one way or another. Hopefully the day will come
when people realise how ridiculous their beliefs are.

--
Adrian
Old December 13th 12, 10:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Christina Websell wrote:

"Chak" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote in
:

Halal meat is also something I will never eat. The animals get their
throats cut when they are fully conscious and it takes minutes for
them to bleed out and die. Imagine those terrifying minutes. Why
can't they be rendered unconscious first, so they are not aware?
I have no problem eating meat, providing they are reared and killed
humanely. I don't consider halal slaughter humane, even if a priest
says a prayer over them when they are dying as apparently happens.

Kosher is the same.

Chak

But why?
Why is it important in any religion for the animals to be aware that they
are being killed?
Why can't they be rendered unconscious beforehand so they don't know
anything about it?

Maybe it's in the Bible, or the Koran.

Slit the throat of a goat or sheep and let it watch it's lifeblood flowing.
Should be illegal but it still happens.

It's worse than just watching - they're choking to death, or drowning in
their own blood, and in terrible pain.

--
Joyce

Something you'll never hear an 8-year-old say:

"Nana, will you spit on your hankie and wipe the gravy off my face?"
Old December 14th 12, 09:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MatSav[_2_]

"Chak" wrote in message

... It's thanks to the unions that we ...get two weeks paid
vacation...

Does that include Public Holidays?

In the UK, we get a minimum of 20 days paid leave. Some companies
include Public Holidays in this allowance, which gives a
remaining twelve days.

Most don't - 20 days *plus* 8 Public Holidays is the norm. Many
workers are on much better terms. I get 30 days, plus 10.5 Public
and Priviledge days.

--
MatSav

Old December 14th 12, 08:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Adrian" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote:
"Chak" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote in
:

[...]

I have a set of beliefs that I live by. I call it my religion, but it's
isn't like any organised religion as such. It has some of the commandments
in it and quite a streak of Buddhism.
It's probably uniquely my own.way of living but it leaves my conscience
intact.
I respect and try not to challenge my aunt, uncle and their children's
religion. They are Mormons and they spend their life at it. I do not agree
with some of their views and my aunt and I have had several quite heated
debates about the role of wives and more especially homosexuality. She
confuses it with paedophilia. No matter how many times I've pointed out
that almost all people who sexually abuse children are heterosexual - and I
should know - she insists that she would never knowingly allow a homosexual
person near a child.
We had to agree to disagree before I lost my temper. We don't discuss it
now. Sometimes if we are watching TV together she will turn to me and say,
of someone on the screen "he looks like one of *them*"
I give her a stern glance and don't reply.

Tweed

Tweed

Old December 14th 12, 09:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Bastette" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

"Chak" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote in
:

[...]

IMO it should be made illegal, but we tiptoe around saying "it's important
for your religion" and allow it.
Why is it important to kill an animal in such a way that they know what's
happening? What would be the difference if they were stunned first, which
is the humane way?

I do eat meat but I would never eat anything killed by the halal method.
This is centuries back when we couldn't do anything better than to slit
their throats alive.
We don't need to do that any more, but still it continues.

Old December 14th 12, 10:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Judith Latham" wrote in message
In article ,
MatSav wrote:
"Chak" wrote in message

... It's thanks to the unions that we ...get two weeks paid
vacation...

Does that include Public Holidays?

In the UK, we get a minimum of 20 days paid leave. Some companies
include Public Holidays in this allowance, which gives a
remaining twelve days.

Most don't - 20 days *plus* 8 Public Holidays is the norm. Many
workers are on much better terms. I get 30 days, plus 10.5 Public
and Priviledge days.

I get similar, I get 30 days plus 9 days public and concessionary days.

I got similar too. Now every day is a holiday. My alarm clock is redundant.
Tweed

Old December 15th 12, 04:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Judith Latham wrote:

I don't think that all people's beliefs are ridiculous. I have my own,
they harm no one and I hope they benefit a lot of people. I do not force
them onto others.

If people want to criticize religion, then criticize the terrible things
that have been done in the name of this or that religion. Criticize
oppressive theocracies, wars, terrorist attacks and so on. Most of those
things aren't even about religion, primarily. Religion might be used as
a tool to gain support for various causes, but the real issue is power,
IMO. So criticize all the abuses of power that are committed in the name
of various religions. Besides, powerful secular organizations have done
just as much harm in the world.

It's small-minded and intolerant to criticize a religious person
merely on the basis of their beliefs not being provable by science.
That isn't even relevant. If religion gives someone inner strength,
then more power to them. I'm agnostic myself, which to me means that
I don't devote any time or energy worshipping a supreme being, but
at the same time, I don't devote time or energy trying to show that
such a being absolutely cannot exist. I prefer to "let the mystery
be," as Iris Dement says.

It bugs me when people say, "Your imaginary friend doesn't exist,
so you're an idiot to believe in it." That attitude is so smug and
disrespectful. And it's not even a valid basis for criticism, because
nobody can prove it either way. It just ends up devolving into "Doesn't
exist." "Does too." "Does not." "Does too." Give it up already.

And that's my rant for the day.

--
Joyce

Hi, this is the Sylvia stress reduction hotline. At the sound of
the beep, repeat after me: "This week, let someone else strive for
excellence." -- Nicole Hollander
Old December 15th 12, 05:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
JJ[_2_]

"Bastette" wrote in message
Judith Latham wrote:

[...]

"But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods
or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg."

-- Thomas Jefferson

Jay

Old December 15th 12, 12:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

JJ wrote:

"Bastette" wrote in message
Judith Latham wrote:

[...]

Much more succinct than I was.

--
Joyce

May the great galactic kitten always purr you to sleep.
Old December 19th 12, 06:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Chak

Bastette wrote in :

Why do you say they're not a good solution? What do you think is a
better one?

If I had a better one, I'd be pushing for it. Labor unions are not an
unalloyed good, but they're the best we've come up with so far.

Chak

--
I say, if your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to
seriously re-evaluate your life.

[BW] King Of... Yowie Cat anecdotes 5 August 29th 08 02:02 PM
Cat Ala King Billy Colburn Cat anecdotes 0 March 31st 08 04:05 AM
It's winter in Thailand - OT badwilson Cat anecdotes 36 December 23rd 05 12:00 AM
Violence in Thailand Victor Martinez Cat anecdotes 2 April 28th 04 02:29 PM
Deo is still King Bev Cat anecdotes 16 April 19th 04 07:42 PM