Another cat hoarder

Old May 20th 05, 05:31 PM
Elizabeth Blake

Default Another cat hoarder

http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/jersey...5548185690.xml

I'm not going to copy the whole article, except for this part:

*****************************
Kess is well-known in cat rescue circles in Manhattan, where KittyKind
operates a shelter within a Petco at Union Square. A longtime resident of
Greenwich Village, she has been quoted frequently in small community
newspapers about her efforts -- and struggles -- to care for cats that
nobody else wants.

"Animal overpopulation is a big problem," she told one community newspaper,
the New York Resident, in 2002. "People are very irresponsible."

Despite the difficulty placing cats, she has criticized New York City's high
euthanasia rate, and she has championed the idea of seeing cats through even
terminal illnesses.

**********************************

Six years ago, when my boss told me that I could get two cats for work, I
went to this Petco to inquire about adopting two cats. There werre no
volunteers there at the time but I took down the number and left a message.
A woman called me back and I explained that the cats would be living in a
store that had been in business for a long time; that the cats would receive
good food and health care. I even offered to bring in all of Tiger's vet
records (Tiger, who lives with me now, used to be our work cat until I
retired her) but they didn't want to hear it.

I guess that the woman would rather just hoard the cats and let them suffer.
I'm really torn now about giving them any money in the future. I'd always
drop a few dollars in the collection jar when I went to that Petco, and have
also donated a couple of extra small carriers I had and towels for the cats.

--

Liz

Old May 20th 05, 06:54 PM
Philip

Elizabeth Blake wrote:
snip
Six years ago, when my boss told me that I could get two cats for
work, I
went to this Petco to inquire about adopting two cats. There were no
volunteers there at the time but I took down the number and left a
message.
A woman called me back and I explained that the cats would be living
in a
store that had been in business for a long time; that the cats would
receive good food and health care. I even offered to bring in all of
Tiger's vet records (Tiger, who lives with me now, used to be our
work cat until I retired her) but they didn't want to hear it.

I guess that the woman would rather just hoard the cats and let them
suffer. I'm really torn now about giving them any money in the
future. I'd always
drop a few dollars in the collection jar when I went to that Petco,
and have also donated a couple of extra small carriers I had and
towels for the cats.

In the recent month, I've had similar experiences with four pet adoption
outfits. I've posted here some of the highlights. "Cat Hoarders" is a very
accurate description. Lyn and I had a meeting of minds on the fact that
these adoption people with their Byzantine screening processes pass up a lot
of perfectly adequate accommodations largely because the fosters are looking
for cat fanatics like themselves to place their cats in. Even some people
HERE couldn't pass muster.

Old May 21st 05, 02:19 AM
bigbadbarry

they ought to be shot with **** and whooped for stinking

Old May 22nd 05, 07:52 AM
Phil P.

"Philip" wrote in message news:dvpje.4728

of perfectly adequate accommodations largely because the fosters are

looking
for cat fanatics like themselves to place their cats in. Even some people
HERE couldn't pass muster.

You sure as **** couldn't pass mine! You'd kill the cat if she became
disabled and needed special care, you decrepit old turd.

Old May 22nd 05, 08:02 AM
-L.

Elizabeth Blake wrote:

Six years ago, when my boss told me that I could get two cats for

work, I
went to this Petco to inquire about adopting two cats. There werre

no
volunteers there at the time but I took down the number and left a

message.
A woman called me back and I explained that the cats would be living

in a
store that had been in business for a long time; that the cats would

receive
good food and health care. I even offered to bring in all of Tiger's

vet
records (Tiger, who lives with me now, used to be our work cat until

retired her) but they didn't want to hear it.

That's just freaking insane.

I guess that the woman would rather just hoard the cats and let them

suffer.
I'm really torn now about giving them any money in the future. I'd

always
drop a few dollars in the collection jar when I went to that Petco,

and have
also donated a couple of extra small carriers I had and towels for

the cats.

Honestly, the organizations that need your donations more than any
others are the county-run or city-run shelters. They have *no*
operating funds. many people don't even think to donate to them, and
others refuse to donate to a "kill" shelter.

-L.

Old May 28th 05, 09:50 PM
Arjun Ray

On Fri, 20 May 2005 12:31:09 -0400, Elizabeth Blake wrote:

http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/jersey...5548185690.xml

I'm not going to copy the whole article, except for this part:

*****************************
Kess is well-known in cat rescue circles in Manhattan, where KittyKind
operates a shelter within a Petco at Union Square.

Yes, Marlene is well-known. The accuracy of the story in the Star-Ledger
has not been vouched for; e.g., I've been informed privately that Marlene
was cited with 1 violation, not 38.

Six years ago, when my boss told me that I could get two cats for work, I
went to this Petco to inquire about adopting two cats. [...] I even
offered to bring in all of Tiger's vet records (Tiger, who lives with me
now, used to be our work cat until I retired her) but they didn't want
to hear it.

KK has a reputation for being very meticulous about their adoptions (in
depth interviews, follow-up visits, etc.) That's one of the reasons I
"showed" my foster kittens through them, at their Petco space. (on which,
more below). See, e.g.

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...203&uid=514878

I guess that the woman would rather just hoard the cats and let them
suffer. I'm really torn now about giving them any money in the future.

There's a much bigger problem. Petco now wants the KK adoption space in
their store shut down. Marlene's problems are one thing, the loss of an
adoption outlet is another, a disaster for an entire network of foster
caretakers associated with the KK organization. There's a letter campaign
to get Petco to reconsider their decision, and leave the adoption space
functioning, probably with another organization in charge.