[OT] Arrgghhh! Flipping insurance companies

Old June 2nd 05, 04:42 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

Default [OT] Arrgghhh! Flipping insurance companies

I get a chiro adjustment every week. I've been doing so for well over
a year. This year, I switched to DH's insurance policy instead of
having my own.

On March 22, I was rear-ended and went to the chiro to get myself
checked out. This is the only incident that had anything to do with
an accident.

We just received, by mail, a sheaf of papers representing every chiro
visit since January. For some reason, they are all marked uncovered
because I haven't sent information about the related accident. Well,
of course not -- there is no accident! Certainly there is no earthly
reason why they would think that a chiro visit in January had anything
to do with an accident in March, but actually I think it has nothing
to do with the actual accident.

The customer service for the insurance company seems to be
completely useless. Bleh.

Now I'm steeling myself for an argument with an insurance company.
And we know how fun those are. And I'm worried, because I thought
DH's coverage would be the same as mine was -- you get chiro coverage
as part of routine care -- but now I'm not sure.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old June 3rd 05, 02:38 AM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

Now I'm steeling myself for an argument with an insurance company.
And we know how fun those are. And I'm worried, because I thought
DH's coverage would be the same as mine was -- you get chiro coverage
as part of routine care -- but now I'm not sure.

I don't know what the "rules" are for normal health
insurance (and they may vary). Medicare only allows you
twelve visits a year. However, there WAS a time (not so
long ago) when most medical unsurance did not cover
chiropratic at all - or any other form of "alternative" care.

Old June 3rd 05, 03:22 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-06-03, EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) penned:

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

Now I'm steeling myself for an argument with an insurance company.
And we know how fun those are. And I'm worried, because I thought
DH's coverage would be the same as mine was -- you get chiro
coverage as part of routine care -- but now I'm not sure.

I don't know what the "rules" are for normal health insurance (and
they may vary). Medicare only allows you twelve visits a year.
However, there WAS a time (not so long ago) when most medical
unsurance did not cover chiropratic at all - or any other form of
"alternative" care.

Sure, but the issue is that they're *supposed* to cover chiro as part
of regular care, up to so many visits, and now they're making a big
deal out of it.

I talk to my chiro office and she said they like to scare people by
sending lots of forms to fill out; that it's just a way of delaying
payment.

The issue isn't whether or not I'm lucky the insurance does cover
chiro (I know I am); it's that they said they would cover it, and now
they're making it a pain.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old June 3rd 05, 03:40 PM
CatNipped

On 2005-06-03, EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) penned:

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

[...]

Great West Health Insurance went one better than that. They "protested"
every single medical claim made no matter *what* it was for - *EVERY*
*SINGLE* *ONE*! And then they sent you a form letter saying you could
counter this protest (but it never did any good). They would d*ck around so
long with it that you had to pay for the services yourself (if you wanted to
keep a good credit rating and on good terms with your health provider) and
then they would never get around to reimbursing you for what you paid.

They also did stupid things like... I am on Ambien for my Fibromyalgia and
the doctor told me to take one every night, no exception, to get a sound
enough sleep so that the pain would not be so bad in the mornings. He gave
me a prescription for 30 pills every month, no break - when the pills run
out immediately get more. But GW Health would only pay for 14 pills in any
30 day period. Then if you got the rest of the pills by paying for them
yourself, under pharmacy rules that counted as a refill. So from the
doctor's point of view I was using up my refills twice as fast as I should
have (until I got my pharmacy to call him and let him know what was
happening).

I was *SO* glad when the company merged and they used the other company's
insurer, CIGNA. But they pretty much all suck compared to how insurance
companies *used* to be.

Hugs,

CatNipped

--