How much space for a cat?

Old February 23rd 04, 01:52 PM
Bob Brenchley.

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 04:30:39 +0100, "Hans Schrøder"
wrote:

Heard you the first time, doesn't change the facts. I could scan in
pics of my cats, the adoption contracts and forward the names of the
women who fostered and approved me at the vetting stage - but you'd
still not believe me, would you? You're the strangest troll I've ever
encountered in all the years I've been using Usenet!

Well, the only thing I found on the Cats Protection pages on indoor cats was
this about fresh air:
"Fresh air and sunshine are necessary to us all so if your cat or kitten is
confined to a flat without an enclosed balcony, fit a wire frame into one
window to admit air and sunshine without the risk of his falling from a
height."

I wouldn't call that a negative attitude against the idea of having indoor
cats.
Source: http://www.cats.org.uk/html/index.ph...id=54#exercise

But what does that matter to Brenchley and his lies?

Hans

The FACT is that none of the UK's major shelters, including Cats
Protection which is by far the largest, nor most of the smaller ones
that for various reasons affiliate with the big boys, will normally
rehome a healthy cat to an indoor only environment. This has been
confirmed on numerous occasions by people who work at the grass roots
level - actually finding homes for cats.

Old February 23rd 04, 01:52 PM
Bob Brenchley.

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 11:01:16 +0000, Jacqueline
wrote:

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 04:30:39 +0100, "Hans Schrøder"
wrote:

"Jacqueline" wrote in message
. ..
Cats Protection do not home healthy cats indoors only.

[...]

Indeed. I know what the facts are, I've been a member of Cats
Protection for about 7 years and have had plenty of experience at
'grass roots level' as he puts it. Silly man.

You are one of two things. Either a liar or just a troll. Which is it?

Cats Protection are full of dedicated people who work long hours to
better the lives of cats that come into their care. CP do not, except
as a desperate last resort, rehome healthy cats to indoor only
situations.

--
Bob.

How to become immortal: Read this signature tomorrow and follow its advice.

Old February 23rd 04, 03:27 PM
Jacqueline

wrote:
Indeed. I know what the facts are, I've been a member of Cats
Protection for about 7 years and have had plenty of experience at
'grass roots level' as he puts it. Silly man.

You are one of two things. Either a liar or just a troll. Which is it?

Neither, you hideously obnoxious man, I have no reason to lie, nor the
time nor inclination to troll anyone. You said CP never rehome healthy
indoor cats, I have the evidence to the contrary which I'm happy to
forward to you or anybody else.

Cats Protection are full of dedicated people who work long hours to
better the lives of cats that come into their care. CP do not, except
as a desperate last resort, rehome healthy cats to indoor only
situations.

I know who they are, I've been a member for years, have helped rehome
cats myself, AND currently have 3 of my own. If you're happy to go on
peddling your own agenda on these newsgroups, fair enough, but don't
insult me for pointing out the bias in your argument. The CP *do*
rehome indoor cats - fact.

Old February 23rd 04, 05:41 PM
Fan

The FACT is that none of the UK's major shelters, including Cats
Protection which is by far the largest, nor most of the smaller ones
that for various reasons affiliate with the big boys, will normally
rehome a healthy cat to an indoor only environment. This has been
confirmed on numerous occasions by people who work at the grass roots
level - actually finding homes for cats.

This is an exact copy of two e-mail replies that I got from the Cats
Protection League which you keep referring to in this thread. I got
tired of one side saying the policy was one thing and the other side
saying it was the exact opposite so I went to the source.

One may debate what is "best", but what the policy of CPL is should
not be in dispute. Many posts in this thread concerned what that
policy is. This should end that portion of the debate.

There are two e-mails because there was some confusion over my goal in
asking the question. Originally, they thought I was applying to adopt
a cat. The answers are essentially the same. The discussions about the
number of animals and adoption procedures were in reply to other
questions that I was interested in personally. They have nothing to do
with this discussion, but I didn't want to be accused of blanking out
anything significant.

I believe they prove, beyond any doubt, that indoor-only cat homes are
acceptable to CPL. In some, if not many cases, they are discouraged,
but they indeed are acceptable. This is total fact, no opinion, no
conjecture, no theory, but 100% fact. My personal intrepretation is
that a non-petigreed cat that is used to being indoors only would also
be allowed in an indoor-only home.

Only the personally identifying information has been blanked out.

Subject: Query
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 09:39:58 -0000
From: "Lesley Bxxxxxxxxx"

Hi Xxxxxxxx

Your enquiry has been passed to me. The definitive answers are as
follows:-

Cats Protection do rehome cats as indoor-only under certain
circumstances and if we think it is in their best interest.

We rehome approximately 60,000 cats nationwide in a year but do not
have the figures to break it down into cities at this time; we do
however
carry out prehome checks as a matter of course, followed up by post
home when possible.

I would be interested to know which organisation you work for?

Lesley Bxxxxxxx
Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Subject: Adoption Policies
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 10:33:23 -0000
From: "Tracey Axxxxx"

Dear Xxxxxxxx,

policies, we carry out home checks primarily to establish beyond doubt
that it is a genuine home and that we are not in danger of handing
over a cat to an uncertain future.

How to assess a 'good' home and a 'good' owner is difficult, we ask a
number of questions to try and aid the decision. One of which is
location for example living near busy roads, railway crossings, works
entrances etc. In cases such as these we would not be able to home a
kitten or a nervous or deaf cat, however it may be that we are able to
home an indoor cat in such places.

In some circumstances we do rehome indoor cats, the main reason for
this is medical but there are occasions where we have Pedigree cats
which would need to kept indoors. If a cat is used to going outside,
then we would not home it to someone who wants an indoor cat, hence
the reason behind doing home checks we try and match the cats
requirements to that of the prospective new owners.

I hope this helps answer your questions, if I can help any further
then please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards

Tracey Axxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Old February 25th 04, 07:46 PM
Bob Brenchley.

wrote:
Indeed. I know what the facts are, I've been a member of Cats
Protection for about 7 years and have had plenty of experience at
'grass roots level' as he puts it. Silly man.

You are one of two things. Either a liar or just a troll. Which is it?

Neither, you hideously obnoxious man, I have no reason to lie, nor the
time nor inclination to troll anyone.

Well the choice is there, you have to be one or the other. I'm tending
towards troll.

You said CP never rehome healthy
indoor cats, I have the evidence to the contrary which I'm happy to
forward to you or anybody else.

The FACTS (as often given) are simple. None of the UK's major shelters
(Cats Protection, RSPCA/SSPCA, Battersea) which account for an
estimated 80% of rehomings in this country, nor most of the smaller
ones that for various reasons affiliate with the big boys, will
normally rehome a healthy cat to an indoor only environment.

Now this has been confirmed on numerous occasions by people who work
at the grass roots level - actually finding homes for cats.

Cats Protection are full of dedicated people who work long hours to
better the lives of cats that come into their care. CP do not, except
as a desperate last resort, rehome healthy cats to indoor only
situations.

I know who they are, I've been a member for years, have helped rehome
cats myself, AND currently have 3 of my own. If you're happy to go on
peddling your own agenda on these newsgroups, fair enough, but don't
insult me for pointing out the bias in your argument. The CP *do*
rehome indoor cats - fact.

Of course little moron, CP do home old, disabled and sick cats
indoors. What they do NOT do, except as a last resort (which they see
as an admission of failure) is home a healthy cat to an abuser like
yourself who finds it acceptable to keep a normal healthy cat indoors
only.

Now stick that in your pipe and smoke it.

--
Bob.

Alas, your intelligence qualifies you more for the primordial soup
than for the "master race." Recognize your limitations. Then shut
up.

Old February 25th 04, 07:50 PM
Bob Brenchley.

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 11:41:19 -0600, Fan wrote:

This is an exact copy of two e-mail replies that I got from the Cats
Protection League which you keep referring to in this thread. I got
tired of one side saying the policy was one thing and the other side
saying it was the exact opposite so I went to the source.

One may debate what is "best", but what the policy of CPL is should
not be in dispute. Many posts in this thread concerned what that
policy is. This should end that portion of the debate.

[snip]

In some circumstances we do rehome indoor cats, the main reason for
this is medical but there are occasions where we have Pedigree cats
which would need to kept indoors. If a cat is used to going outside,
then we would not home it to someone who wants an indoor cat, hence
the reason behind doing home checks we try and match the cats
requirements to that of the prospective new owners.

Thank you, I think that paragraph in particular sums things up very
well and I hope that put an end to the claims that Cats Protection
would normally home a healthy cat to an indoor only situation.

Sick, Yes. Disabled, Yes. Normal healthy cat, NO WAY except as an
admission of failure.

--
Bob.

In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, "Let there be
Light." And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.