Armistice Day

Old November 11th 04, 12:11 AM
Yowie

Default Armistice Day

The 11th minute of the11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month.

We will remember them.

Lest we forget.

Yowie

Old November 11th 04, 06:00 PM
Enfilade

It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the
press.
It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech.
It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us freedom
to demonstrate.
It is the soldier, not the lawyer, who has given us the right to a
fair trial.
It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves under the flag, and
whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn
the flag.

- Charles Province

When you go home, tell them of us and say, for your tomorrow, we gave
our today.

- Inscribed on the British 2nd Division memorial at Kohima

--Enfilade

Old November 11th 04, 09:18 PM
Stormin Mormon

It's the politician, not the soldier, who is trying to take freedom away.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

om...

Old November 12th 04, 12:47 AM

Stormin Mormon wrote:

It's the politician, not the soldier, who is trying to take
freedom away.

True.

And I consider it very depressing to think of our rights and freedoms
as coming primarily from the barrel of a gun. What kind of society is
that? Not a very free one, IMO.

Soldiers certainly help to protect those rights. But some very great
minds and revolutionary thinkers created them, and we as a population
choose to keep them - or throw them away - with our votes, our bodies,
our words, our attitudes, our culture, our lives.

Joyce