(OT) Hawk in a Puddle

Old September 21st 09, 10:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default (OT) Hawk in a Puddle

I was driving back from the store, I'd gotten on the island about to make
the turn into my neighborhood when I spotted a large red-tailed hawk
standing in a puddle on the corner! I was so astonished I had to pull to
the side of the road so I could look at it. What magnificent birds! I
don't know if it was just thirsty or maybe it wanted to take a bath to get
the dust off its feathers It apparently didn't like me watching it,
though, because after about 30 seconds it flew off into some trees across
the street.

I love all the wildlife here. I get to see it up close and personal,
usually when I least expect it. But those hawks are a good reason not to
let cats roam around loose here.

Jill

Old September 22nd 09, 04:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_2_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message
I was driving back from the store, I'd gotten on the island about to make
the turn into my neighborhood when I spotted a large red-tailed hawk
standing in a puddle on the corner! I was so astonished I had to pull to
the side of the road so I could look at it. What magnificent birds! I
don't know if it was just thirsty or maybe it wanted to take a bath to get
the dust off its feathers It apparently didn't like me watching it,
though, because after about 30 seconds it flew off into some trees across
the street.

I love all the wildlife here. I get to see it up close and personal,
usually when I least expect it. But those hawks are a good reason not to
let cats roam around loose here.

Jill

They are breathtaking, aren't they? There are a lot of them here in New
York City (including the famous Pale Male and his family). I got close to
one a few years ago, in the park near my house-- a big juvenile female. She
was enormous, and silent, flying short hops between low branches of the
trees. Really awe-inspiring.

--
Theresa and Dante

Stinky Forever: http://pets.webshots.com/album/125591586JWEFwh

Old September 22nd 09, 06:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

jmcquown wrote:
I was driving back from the store, I'd gotten on the island about to
make the turn into my neighborhood when I spotted a large red-tailed
hawk standing in a puddle on the corner! I was so astonished I had to
pull to the side of the road so I could look at it. What magnificent
birds! I don't know if it was just thirsty or maybe it wanted to take a
bath to get the dust off its feathers It apparently didn't like me
watching it, though, because after about 30 seconds it flew off into
some trees across the street.

I love all the wildlife here. I get to see it up close and personal,
usually when I least expect it. But those hawks are a good reason not
to let cats roam around loose here.

Jill

Are you concerned for the safety of the hawks or the cats?
Old September 22nd 09, 07:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christine BA[_2_]

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) kirjoitti:

jmcquown wrote:
I was driving back from the store, I'd gotten on the island about to
make the turn into my neighborhood when I spotted a large red-tailed
hawk standing in a puddle on the corner! I was so astonished I had to
pull to the side of the road so I could look at it. What magnificent
birds! I don't know if it was just thirsty or maybe it wanted to take
a bath to get the dust off its feathers It apparently didn't like
me watching it, though, because after about 30 seconds it flew off
into some trees across the street.

I love all the wildlife here. I get to see it up close and personal,
usually when I least expect it. But those hawks are a good reason not
to let cats roam around loose here.

Jill

Are you concerned for the safety of the hawks or the cats?

According to Wiki on these hawks:
Prey range in size from beetles to White-tailed Jackrabbits, which are
double the weight of most Red-tails.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red-tailed_Hawk#Diet

A smaller cat can well be in danger from these hawks.

--
Christine in Finland
christal63 (at) gmail (dot) com
Old September 22nd 09, 08:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

m...

jmcquown wrote:
I was driving back from the store, I'd gotten on the island about to make
the turn into my neighborhood when I spotted a large red-tailed hawk
standing in a puddle on the corner! I was so astonished I had to pull to
the side of the road so I could look at it. What magnificent birds! I
don't know if it was just thirsty or maybe it wanted to take a bath to
get the dust off its feathers It apparently didn't like me watching
it, though, because after about 30 seconds it flew off into some trees
across the street.

I love all the wildlife here. I get to see it up close and personal,
usually when I least expect it. But those hawks are a good reason not to
let cats roam around loose here.

Jill

Are you concerned for the safety of the hawks or the cats?

The cats, silly! The hawks are big enough to carry off an average size cat
no problem.

Jill