older pet cat attacked by feral....help

Old April 2nd 04, 11:24 AM
quilterhusband

Default older pet cat attacked by feral....help

Out old 17 calico female got out tonight and got attacked by another cat.
We interrupted before the feral cat could kill her.
She is small, deaf and bit senile I think. It 2am and there is not a vet
with emergeny in our area.

I grabbed her and brought her in the house and inspected. There were clumps
of her fir on the ground at the fight seen. Look like she had a puncture
wound in her neck but it had stopped bleeding. She would hiss and growl if
we came near her. When she tries to walk, she has much trouble on her back
legs although there is no outwordly sign of injury thereImmediately after
the fight. After 45 minutes she was not frightened of us any more and we
could touch her. She wobbled over to a favorite spot she feels safe
in...its dark and confined. We are just letting her rest now and checking
every 1/2 hour. She seems to be alert, but just laying with her eyes open.
Everyonce in a while will do a pitiful meow and when I appear she stops and
settle back down. Im not sure if she is waiting to die or in some sort of
cat shock. She wont eat when offered cat snacks.

Any experience with this sort of cat shock?

PS. how does one trap a feral cat?

Old April 2nd 04, 12:48 PM
Karen Chuplis

in article a8bbc.68197$1I5.21719@fed1read01, quilterhusband at
wrote on 4/2/04 4:24 AM:

[...]

Get her to a vet first thing in the a.m. Rest is probably good. She may be
terribly sore and just in a bit of shock. Try to keep her warm. Call the
shelter and borrow a have a heart trap for the feral cat. Sorry to hear
about this. Keep us posted.

Karen

Old April 2nd 04, 01:40 PM
RobZip

"quilterhusband" wrote in message
When she tries to walk, she has much trouble on her back
legs although there is no outwordly sign of injury

The most likely thing - especially after a fight - would be bite injuries.
And you'd be surprised at how hard they can be to find. When my older cat
was a kitten of 8 months she irritated another cat and there was some
furious thrashing and thumping around. From the sounds of them banging about
and the young one's resultant limp, I could have sworn her leg was broken.
She laid quite still, panting heavily - obviously in pain. The vet found a
pair of punture wounds on each side of her leg and concluded from their size
that the teeth of the biter penetrated to the point of the teeth meeting.

The big problem in bite injuries is infection from saliva borne bacteria.
Definitely a case that your vet needs to see as soon as possible.

Old April 2nd 04, 02:12 PM
Mary

"RobZip" wrote

The big problem in bite injuries is infection from saliva borne

bacteria.
Definitely a case that your vet needs to see as soon as possible.

So if you really are a cat man, why the hell did you
include this group in the line of your crossposted
bs? Both the morgue photo and the spam bait?

Hmm? It is reasonable for people to want to
know if you are here to troll or to discuss
cats, I think. Of course "both" is a possible
answer. But it cannot be a good idea to
troll a group that you also have an interest
in beyond disruption, can it?

Old April 2nd 04, 04:24 PM
RobZip

"Lotte" wrote in message
I would question your committment to animal welfare, even with your
credentials, if you can derive joy from the death of any being, no matter
how you may judge their lives. -- L.

Depends on your personal experience and context doesn't it? At risk of going
OT again, I'll put it like this: Nursing and nurturing a wild rabbit litter
orphaned by human carelessness requires an appreciation for life. When mom
gets sucked out of the nest and butchered by a lawnmower, my commitment to
seeing days old, hairless infants released a few weeks later as thriving
adolescents is job one.

Taking pleasure in the extermination of one whose sole mission on this
planet was to create and perpetuate an organization devoted to killing and
human suffering requires appreciation for human life on a far different and
much more discriminating level. To equate one with the other is odious and
simply wrong on the most fundamental level. If only humans shared the same
spirit of purity and purpose animals have.....

Old April 2nd 04, 04:26 PM
RobZip

"Mary" wrote in message
m...