They really talk

Old January 29th 06, 01:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default They really talk

Tinùviel and Teti, my two indoor Devon Rex cats, are the world's best
friends, I think. Of course they fight and chase eachother from time to
time, sometimes it looks very serious, but... After a while they get a bit
tired, and one of them will go up to the other and sort of say: "Hey, that
was fun! How about some lunch?" And the other one replies "Mmmrrr..."
(Something like "Yeah, why not?"), and they both head for the food bowl,
standing side by side eating.

I always have dry food out for them, so they can eat whenever they want, but
they almost always go together. Tonight I could observe this again. They had
been meatloafing in different parts of the living room for about an hour or
more, when suddenly Tinùviel got up, went over to Teti and asked
"Mmmrrriii?" Teti answered "Mrrr!" and they went off together to have
supper. After the meal, Tinùviel retired to the bathroom, while Teti found a
pile of clothes where he laid down to do ... absolutely nothing.

They are so cute when they do this, and it's obvious to me that they talk to
eachother, sometimes with sound, most of the time without. Do your cats
communicate in the same way?

--
Hans Schrøder

Old January 29th 06, 01:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Hans Schrøder" wrote in message
[...]

With my two, it's usually Nanki-Poo saying, "Come on! Let's play!" and/or
Lindy saying, "Go away and leave me alone!"

Usually if one of them is on my lap, or lying on top of me in bed, and the
other tries to come up, Lindy objects vocally, and one of them goes away.

This morning I woke up and Nanki-Poo was lying on top of me. Lindy is more
inclined to lie next to my legs, but this time she climbed up and laid down
facing Nanki. I was amazed, but even more so when she leaned toward
Nanki-Poo. He responded by washing her face thoroughly. A few minutes
later, Lindy left, but I was really pleased by her gesture.

Joy

Old January 29th 06, 03:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 02:07:27 +0100, "Hans Schrøder"
wrote:

Tinùviel and Teti, my two indoor Devon Rex cats, are the world's best
friends, I think. Of course they fight and chase eachother from time to
time, sometimes it looks very serious, but... After a while they get a bit
tired, and one of them will go up to the other and sort of say: "Hey, that
was fun! How about some lunch?" And the other one replies "Mmmrrr..."
(Something like "Yeah, why not?"), and they both head for the food bowl,
standing side by side eating.

(snip)

They are so cute when they do this, and it's obvious to me that they talk to
eachother, sometimes with sound, most of the time without. Do your cats
communicate in the same way?

Silver and Scouty talk to each other too... Silver's the vocal one,
and every now and then she stops and gives her 'meow of command' and
Scouty will look up and usually get up and go to her and they sniff
noses... she's obviously saying 'hey, Sissyfur, where ARE you?! Come
and play!'

--
~Karen aka Kajikit
Crafts, cats, and chocolate - the three essentials of life
Old January 29th 06, 03:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

wrote:

[...]

Mine don't speak the same language.

Cali squeeks and meeps with the occaisonal meh, but almost never a meow.
Smokey yowls in basic cat speak. Cleo mrrrs (nickname MrrrMrrr) and trills a
lot, with the occaisonal meow. In fact Cleo objects to Smokey's dialect; if
Smokey is yowling for her bowl Cleo will walk up to her and smack an ear.
"Stop that undignified Hoomin speak". But then she also smacks Smokey for
the way she smells.

One morning a few weeks ago I was laying on my side in bed and Cleo was
perched on my bicep purring in my ear. So I started telling her what a good
girl she was and she reached out and put her paw on my lips. "Stop talking
now Pa!"

Old January 29th 06, 04:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Hans Schrxder" wrote in message
Tinyviel and Teti, my two indoor Devon Rex cats, are the world's best
friends, I think. Of course they fight and chase eachother from time to
time, sometimes it looks very serious, but... After a while they get a bit
tired, and one of them will go up to the other and sort of say: "Hey, that
was fun! How about some lunch?" And the other one replies "Mmmrrr..."
(Something like "Yeah, why not?"), and they both head for the food bowl,
standing side by side eating.

I always have dry food out for them, so they can eat whenever they want,
but they almost always go together. Tonight I could observe this again.
They had been meatloafing in different parts of the living room for about
an hour or more, when suddenly Tinyviel got up, went over to Teti and
asked "Mmmrrriii?" Teti answered "Mrrr!" and they went off together to
have supper. After the meal, Tinyviel retired to the bathroom, while Teti
found a pile of clothes where he laid down to do ... absolutely nothing.

They are so cute when they do this, and it's obvious to me that they talk
to eachother, sometimes with sound, most of the time without. Do your cats
communicate in the same way?

I read somewhere that cats not only vocalize in a range humans can hear, but
also in a range that they can hear each other but we cannot hear them. At
least that would explain some of the things I see my two do.

Jo

Old January 29th 06, 04:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 02:07:27 +0100, "Hans Schrøder"
yodeled:

[...]

This reminds me of the cartoon characters "The Goofy Gophers" who are
always so excessively polite to each other.

Theresa

Make Levees, Not War
Old January 29th 06, 09:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

[...]

Oh yes. When I put out breakfast in the morning, if Ripley is asleep or
merely taking his time about ambling into the kitchen, Cav will seek him out
and loudly and excitedly vocalise to him before coming back for his
breakfast.

Before we had Cav, we had Izzi and Fenda. Izzi was vocal with humans, but
never 'spoke' to other cats. Fenda wasn't vocal at all, and neither was
Ripley. When we lost Izzi and Fenda, we adopted Cav, and he is one of the
most chatty cats I've ever known. He doesn't just talk to humans, he talks
to Ripley too. At first Ripley seemed to be completely bemused by all this,
but he's getting the hang of it, and is getting quite chatty himself! The
poor old chap used to sit outside the back door waiting to be noticed and
let in, but now he uses his voice to wail and let us know that he's there.

Jeanette

Old January 29th 06, 02:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Bill Stock" wrote in
snip
One morning a few weeks ago I was laying on my side in bed and Cleo
was perched on my bicep purring in my ear. So I started telling her
what a good girl she was and she reached out and put her paw on my
lips. "Stop talking now Pa!"

Or she didn't like your morning breath ;-)

Old January 29th 06, 07:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Hans Schrøder wrote:
Tinùviel and Teti, my two indoor Devon Rex cats, are the world's best
friends, I think. Of course they fight and chase eachother from time
to time, sometimes it looks very serious, but... After a while they
get a bit tired, and one of them will go up to the other and sort of
say: "Hey, that was fun! How about some lunch?" And the other one
replies "Mmmrrr..." (Something like "Yeah, why not?"), and they both
head for the food bowl, standing side by side eating.

Persia is my only cat so the only experience I've had with her talking to
another cat has been to fling herself at the window and scream bloody murder
when she sees one. She does, however, sometimes slip up and talk to me in a
way I most definitely understand. It also makes me chuckle to see her
marching ahead of me when I go in the direction of the kitchen and she comes
to a standstill when I say, "Not time yet!" She knows this means she's not
tricked me into feeding her again before it's time so she doesn't bother to
even approach her bowl or the kitchen. (She's on a diet, twice a day
prescription kibble.) Doesn't stop her from trying, though She's a very
bright cat; she understands a lot more than she lets on.

Jill

Old January 30th 06, 12:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"jmcquown" wrote in message
Hans Schrøder wrote:
[...]

With Cali, it's "toooo soon Cali, toooo soon". She's got some very devious
techniques for scamming extra meals. We had to start leaving notes, in order
to prevent the double breakfast.