[OT] Safety alert

Old February 14th 07, 12:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

Default [OT] Safety alert

I awoke to the sound of the Yowlet's panicked screams last night, and went
to see what was wrong. A thread from the cotton-weave 'hospital' blanket had
seperated and was wrapped very tightly around his arm, to the point where
his hand had started to go blue. I removed the thread, massaged the
circulation back, and got him back to sleep (eventually). But I kept
thinking... I had got that blanket over a 'regular' blanket because I had
been lead to believe that said blankets presented less of a risk of
suffocation. But if it had been his neck rather than his arm....

Please regularly check those type of blankets for loose threads, and if
there are any, its probably best just to chuck the blanket away. Even if
this particular one is Cary's precious "blankie", it was far too close a
call for me to keep the thing.

Yowie

Old February 14th 07, 12:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian A

Yowie wrote:
I awoke to the sound of the Yowlet's panicked screams last night, and
went to see what was wrong. A thread from the cotton-weave 'hospital'
blanket had seperated and was wrapped very tightly around his arm, to
the point where his hand had started to go blue. I removed the
thread, massaged the circulation back, and got him back to sleep
(eventually). But I kept thinking... I had got that blanket over a
'regular' blanket because I had been lead to believe that said
blankets presented less of a risk of suffocation. But if it had been
his neck rather than his arm....

Please regularly check those type of blankets for loose threads, and
if there are any, its probably best just to chuck the blanket away.
Even if this particular one is Cary's precious "blankie", it was far
too close a call for me to keep the thing.

Yowie

OMG! I'm so glad you got to Cary before any real harm was done.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart.

Old February 14th 07, 01:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Yowie" wrote in message
[...]

What an awful thing! Sometimes it seems as though there isn't anything you
can count on. I'm glad it had a happy ending, and I hope you can find
something Cary will accept in place of his "blankie".

Joy

Old February 14th 07, 01:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Susan M

"Yowie" wrote in message
I awoke to the sound of the Yowlet's panicked screams last night, and went
to see what was wrong. A thread from the cotton-weave 'hospital' blanket
had
seperated and was wrapped very tightly around his arm, to the point where
his hand had started to go blue.

That must have been very scary. Yikes.

Susan M
Otis and Chester

Old February 14th 07, 01:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin - bogus address

I awoke to the sound of the Yowlet's panicked screams last night, and went
to see what was wrong. A thread from the cotton-weave 'hospital' blanket
had seperated and was wrapped very tightly around his arm, to the point
where his hand had started to go blue. I removed the thread, massaged
the circulation back, and got him back to sleep (eventually). But I kept
thinking... I had got that blanket over a 'regular' blanket because I had
been lead to believe that said blankets presented less of a risk of
suffocation. But if it had been his neck rather than his arm....
Please regularly check those type of blankets for loose threads, and if
there are any, its probably best just to chuck the blanket away.

We had a kitten nearly hang herself on a fringed chair cover - the
loops were big enough for her to get her head through and then she
twisted round. After cutting her free I snipped all the fringe loops
open. Wasn't a risk I'd ever imagined. (Then again, I wouldn't
have imagined "hair-thread tourniquet syndrome" either - google for
it and you will never entirely trust your undies again).

Old February 14th 07, 02:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

"Jack Campin - bogus address" wrote in message
[...]

I had hair almost down to my waist when Cary was born. I had it cut really
short once I saw "hair-thread tourniquet syndrome" on one of his fingers
when he started to crawl. Thankfully I got the offending hair loose in time
to save his finger.

Personally, I am amazed that anyone actually reaches adulthood!

Yowie

Old February 14th 07, 04:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

"Yowie" wrote in message
[...]

I'm convinced that is why so many people believe in God and Angels. I see
no other explanation for the survival of humans to adulthood.

Jo