A truly dedicated cat slave

Old February 5th 14, 03:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Default A truly dedicated cat slave - UPDATE

Joy wrote:

"Bastette" wrote in message
Joy wrote:

That was very brave of her. I'm sure that the police released her too,
probably with a warning but they did get her cat to the vet.

Even if she has to pay a fine, I'm sure she feels it was well worth it
get her cat treated.

Jail seems a bit excessive, though. Maybe a citation would have been more
appropriate.

Another good thing about the cops taking the cat to the vet is that I'm
sure he got there much sooner than if she'd had to walk 20 miles!

--
Joyce

Cats' hearing apparatus is built to allow the human voice to easily
go in one ear and out the other. -- Stephen Baker

I called my sister and brother-in-law today to find out how the story came
out. The woman did spend the night in jail, but then she was released. The
judge said she did break the law, but there were extenuating circumstances.
In the meantime, the cat was treated for a very serious condition. I can't
remember what it was, but the vet said that it probably would have died if
it hadn't gotten immediate treatment. It's doing well now.

To top it off, there was a lot of publicity for the story. There was not
only a story in the Valdez paper, but also in the Anchorage newspapers.
Apparently the woman lives in Anchorage, but she didn't have the money the
vet there wanted to treat her cat. However, the vet in Valdez has a fund
for treating animals whose owners can't afford the needed treatment. They
told her they'd treat the cat if she could get it there. She did, and they
did.

Not only is the woman free and the cat doing well, but the publicity
generated donations of thousands of dollars to the fund for treating animals
belonging to people with limited income.

I love happy endings!

That is a happy ending - but my stomach clenched a little to think that if
the cat hadn't gotten to the vet as quickly as it did, it probably would've
died. Thank god she didn't get some jerk cop on a power trip. It could have
ended much worse. Whew!

--
Joyce

No one should try to hit another's bumper. But bumper bumpage is a part of
life. Yawn and get on with it. -- Gene Weingarten
Old February 5th 14, 03:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Joy wrote:

I called my sister and brother-in-law today to find out how the story came
out.

[snip]

I love happy endings!

A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going somewhere.
- Groucho Marx

I love this sig! (I have that quote, too.)

Old February 5th 14, 03:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Default A truly dedicated cat slave

Jack Campin wrote:

They were using dynamite to try to clear the highway, and what she did was
both dangerous and illegal. She didn't care; she was determined to get her
cat to the vet. She was picked up by the police, who put her in the Valdez
jail, where she is now.

The Land of the Free is probably the only place in the world where
you can get arrested and jailed for walking along a public road.

(Having been stopped and questioned by an armed cop in Pennsylvania
for simply walking along a country road like I was used to doing in
New Zealand, I am not one bit surprised).

To be fair, she was walking through an area that was scheduled to be
dynamited and she ignored the warnings. I still think putting her in
jail is pretty excessive, but I understand why the cops were upset.
She (and her cat) could have been killed.

But I probably would have done the same thing.

Old February 5th 14, 03:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 2/4/2014 9:20 PM, Bastette wrote:
Jack Campin wrote:

They were using dynamite to try to clear the highway, and what she did was
both dangerous and illegal. She didn't care; she was determined to get her
cat to the vet. She was picked up by the police, who put her in the Valdez
jail, where she is now.

The Land of the Free is probably the only place in the world where
you can get arrested and jailed for walking along a public road.

(Having been stopped and questioned by an armed cop in Pennsylvania
for simply walking along a country road like I was used to doing in
New Zealand, I am not one bit surprised).

To be fair, she was walking through an area that was scheduled to be
dynamited and she ignored the warnings. I still think putting her in
jail is pretty excessive, but I understand why the cops were upset.
She (and her cat) could have been killed.

But I probably would have done the same thing.

Yep. They were trying to clear an avalanche blocking the road.

Jill
Old February 5th 14, 08:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Bastette" wrote in message
Joy wrote:

"Bastette" wrote in message
Joy wrote:

[...]

Actually, I learned a little more. The police actually took the cat to the
local animal shelter. However, the man in charge there not only loves
animals, he is good friends with both the vet and my brother-in-law, who
used to be the vet's assistant. He called the vet, who arranged to take
care of the cat.

Joy

Old February 5th 14, 03:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 2/5/2014 2:05 AM, Joy wrote:
Actually, I learned a little more. The police actually took the cat to the
local animal shelter. However, the man in charge there not only loves
animals, he is good friends with both the vet and my brother-in-law, who
used to be the vet's assistant. He called the vet, who arranged to take
care of the cat.

Joy

Serendipity!

(I'd hate to think what might have happened if the man at the shelter
was a flunky who didn't care.)

Jill
Old February 8th 14, 12:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"jmcquown" wrote in message
On 2/5/2014 2:05 AM, Joy wrote:
Actually, I learned a little more. The police actually took the cat to
the
local animal shelter. However, the man in charge there not only loves
animals, he is good friends with both the vet and my brother-in-law, who
used to be the vet's assistant. He called the vet, who arranged to take
care of the cat.

Joy

Serendipity!

(I'd hate to think what might have happened if the man at the shelter was
a flunky who didn't care.)

Jill

Yes. I think that particular serendipity is one of the benefits of living
in a fairly small town. It's not so small that everybody in town knows each
other, but most of the people in related areas of work do. That shelter is
not officially a no-kill facility, but they seldom put down an animal unless
it is incurably ill or dangerous.

Joy