Dataw's Feral Cats are Fine

Old October 18th 16, 04:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Dataw's Feral Cats are Fine

Feral cats are apparently very resourceful little creatures!

DIFF (Dataw Island Feline Foundation) volunteers made sure there was
plenty of food and water at the feeding stations before the evacuation
order due to Hurricane Matthew locked down the island.

I inquired last night on the Dataw Net, any word on the ferals?

All the cats have been accounted for except one shy little guy named
Mini-Peanut. By all accounts he never wanted to feed with the other
cats, preferring to eat by the tennis courts. Some county [shelter]
workers tried to check on him before the resident volunteers came back.
I'm told they couldn't get to the tennis courts due to storm debris.
Yeah, it's a big mess out there, folks.

It could be he Mini-Peanut is still being his usual reticent self and
simply hasn't been spotted yet. I hope!

Purrs that Mini-Peanut is okay.

Jill
Old October 19th 16, 03:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Tue, 18 Oct 2016 11:31:15 -0400, jmcquown
wrote:

[...]

I'm betting on Mini-Peanut being fine because they are so good at
surviving. I used to panic when we'd get a huge snow storm and the
cats all disappeared, then a few days later they showed up to eat.
Old October 19th 16, 05:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

We can only hope. Since he is already a cat who is rarely seen he could
just be hiding.

Jill
Old October 19th 16, 07:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

On 10/18/2016 10:31 AM, jmcquown wrote:
[...]

Great news! Thanks for letting us know. Sending purrs for Mini-Peanut.

MaryL

Old October 19th 16, 05:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 10/19/2016 2:14 AM, MaryL wrote:
[...]

It is good news! 43 feral cats. They've all had their ears notched so
they can be identified as having been trapped, neutered/released.

Buffy has a notched ear. She was one of the ferals until her former
owner scooped her up as a kitten. Who says you can't turn a feral into
a completely spoiled love bug? Introduce them to a life of luxury when
they're young, of course you can.

One idiotic woman wrote in reply to my post how they should stop
neutering the cats because it makes the marsh rat population increase.
Uh, what? How does a feral cat not having testicles relate to an
increase in the marsh rat population? (Maybe someone should be
neutering the rats.) The cats still hunt for food. I didn't understand
the correlation. Is she a proponent of letting the cat population
explode? Apparently.

In the nearly 9 years I've been living here I've only seen a marsh rat
once. That was while cleaning the gutters. They're no bigger than
hamsters. She made it sound like they were all over her house and yard.
Lady, if you have a problem with marsh rats, call an exterminator. Do
NOT tell people not to spay/neuter the feral cats. One does not have
anything to do with the other.

Jill
Old October 19th 16, 07:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

jmcquown wrote:

One idiotic woman wrote in reply to my post how they should stop
neutering the cats because it makes the marsh rat population increase.
Uh, what? How does a feral cat not having testicles relate to an
increase in the marsh rat population? (Maybe someone should be
neutering the rats.) The cats still hunt for food. I didn't understand
the correlation. Is she a proponent of letting the cat population
explode? Apparently.
Lady, if you have a problem with marsh rats, call an exterminator. Do
NOT tell people not to spay/neuter the feral cats. One does not have
anything to do with the other.

I don't agree with her suggestion, since in general feral cat populations
are barely under control. If it is well-controlled in your area, then
whatever you're doing there, it's working, so don't tamper with it!

But there is a correlation. The more cats there are, the more hunters
there are, and the more rats will be caught and killed. One cause when
a prey species (for example, deer) explodes is the absence, or small
number of predators. So I think that's what this woman had in mind. It's
not about cats requiring testicles (or ovaries!) to hunt, it's about
the relative sizes of the populations of predators and prey.

--
- Your mom and I are going to divorce next month.
- What??? Why! Call me please?
Old October 19th 16, 11:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin

One idiotic woman wrote in reply to my post how they should stop
neutering the cats because it makes the marsh rat population increase.
Uh, what? How does a feral cat not having testicles relate to an
increase in the marsh rat population?

And why the heck would anybody want to kill off marsh rats
anyway? They're cute little things, harmless (except for
carrying a few diseases you can get from a lot of other
things you're more likely be in contact with) and they
occupied your part of the world long before any humans.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marsh_rice_rat

Old October 20th 16, 12:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 10/19/2016 6:49 PM, Jack Campin wrote:
One idiotic woman wrote in reply to my post how they should stop
neutering the cats because it makes the marsh rat population increase.
Uh, what? How does a feral cat not having testicles relate to an
increase in the marsh rat population?

And why the heck would anybody want to kill off marsh rats
anyway? They're cute little things, harmless (except for
carrying a few diseases you can get from a lot of other
things you're more likely be in contact with) and they
occupied your part of the world long before any humans.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marsh_rice_rat

They are cute little things. It's not as if they're swarming all over
the place. In all the years I've lived here I've only ever seen ONE
marsh rat.

Jill

Old October 20th 16, 12:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

On 10/19/2016 11:23 AM, jmcquown wrote:
[...]

snip

Jill

My very first cat, many years ago, was feral. He was about 8 months old
when I adopted him. My neighbor was planning to trap the cats that were
running loose in that area and take them to a shelter. I was leaving
for my first semester in graduate school and would be about 1100 miles
from home. I wanted a cat for companionship, and the neighbor offered
to trap one of the cats for me. I was told later that 8 months was too
old to become a companion cat. Well, that is wrong! It took a lot of
time and work, but he became one of the most loving cats I have ever
seen. Within about 2 years, we were bonded and he was a lovebug. He
lived to be 20 years old, and those were 20 years with a most remarkable
cat. I trained him to walk on a harness and leash so he could still go
outdoors--although it was more like he took me for a walk than me taking
him for a walk.

MaryL

Old October 20th 16, 02:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 10/19/2016 7:34 PM, MaryL wrote:
[...]

Ah, what a wonderful anecdote! Thanks.

Jill