Just adopted a Cat, but he's not eating... Help Please...

Old February 13th 06, 08:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Just adopted a Cat, but he's not eating... Help Please...

I have lots to say about the unwanted , lost , forgoten adult animals
that get left at shelters but well i get very opinionated. ever think
of what happens to the animals that sit there day after day month after
month they can only keep them so long.

Good job anyone how has found it has worked in their life to adopt an
adult animal, it takes a lot more patience than a baby, but the reward
of unconditional love and a companion is well worth it.

Old February 13th 06, 08:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

how is your cat doing?

Old February 14th 06, 03:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

chas wrote:
It's admirable that you want to adopt a cat but I would have thought having
such very young, and undoubtedly gorgeous but boisterous/exicteable children
would be a nightmare for any new cat to contend with, especially if it has
not grown up with the children.

The poor thing is probably scared stiff and wishing he was back in a
peaceful cattery.

This is not meant to sound nasty and I'm sorry if it does - but cats and
such young children are not normally a good combination.

Don't we have enough cats and dogs in shelters because people think
they have to give them up to have a baby?

Can you imagine how many more animals would lose homes if all families
with children under 2 years of age suddenly gave up their cats and
dogs?

Why do so many people think it is a bad idea? Do they not know how to
supervise or separate? Is it so hard to make a safe place that a cat
can retreat to that a dog or smild child cannot reach? Is it so hard to
keep a dog away from a toddler when a toddler should be supervised at
all times anyway?

How do we expect to raise the next generation to be kind to animals and
think of them as permanent members of the family, rather than
disposable, if we believe that kids and animals do not mix?

I am so glad that my parents never believed it was a problem. They had
dogs and cats before I was born (before my older brother and sister
too), and that is how we ended up with 3 kids who all love animals. We
grew up with them.

Old February 14th 06, 04:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

The poor thing is probably scared stiff and wishing he was back in a
peaceful cattery.

Doubt that - catteries are noisy and stressful. Many, many more people there
than a family of 5. And that 2 x 4 cage I'm sure he doesn't miss.

Parents can supervise and teach children about kindness to animals. The more
kids who have pets, the more people who will grow up loving animals. These
parents have already told the kids they need to give him space for now so
they're doing a great job.

NanCe