Cat in early kidney disease

Old February 11th 06, 02:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Cat in early kidney disease

John Doe wrote:

Why keep her stools small? Do you mean avoid constipation?

Perhaps I should have said "high digestability" instead. Lower quality food
usually isn't utilized as well, resulting in the need to feed more of it,
and more waste in the litterbox.

For example, when I brought my newest puppy home a couple years ago, I was
able to gradually switch her from Pedigree to Innova, and feed half as much.
Her stools were also significantly smaller. (She was also healthier, with a
better hair coat, blah blah blah.)

Corey

Old February 11th 06, 03:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

I"m sorry to hear about your kitty. I also have found that better
ingredients result in better health. No matter what some petfood
salesman says, it definitely is true. I had tried Science Diet food
with my previous cats but they did poorly on it. I"m sure Steve Crane

My 14 year old has been eating Hill's her whole life and is very healthy.
She just had a blood and urine test a few months back and all is okay. I
have a 13 year old cat whose been eating mostly Hill's canned k/d and also
dry Medi-Cal for the past 4 years and her numbers have barely budged. I have
a 7.5 year old cat that has been eating Hill's for almost 6 years. In 2000,
someone had convinced me to try a "holistic" food (Wysong). He got a total
urinary blockage and was rushed to vet where a cathetar was inserted into him.
I'll never forget it - him lying there after the urine was drained with his
little tongue hanging out of his mouth as if to say "ahhh", then 3 painful
days in clinic with cathetar. It was horrible! Hill's food has been keeping
him healthy since then; he's never had a UTI again. I thought when I tried
the "holistic" (whatever that word means anyway!) food I was going to have a
super healthy cat for life; they make it sound so good. Now I think all
those holistic companies do is tell you scare stories about the big
companies' foods - it's the only way they can sell their food in this
competitive market. I was a fool for trying it when I had a healthy cat
eating Hill's and should have known better.

Anna

Old February 11th 06, 04:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

IVD and Medi-Cal have never
published a single clinical trial for any of their products, ever in
their entire history. Obviously Mars/Royal Canin isn't going to

The only reason I get dry Medi-cal is because of the shape and texture
(flatter (sort of star-shaped) than k/d and easily breakable). She won't
have anything to do with round, hard kibbles; that's why she couldn't have
Hill's dry food growing up (which was a shame) - had to raise her on Iams
Lamb & Rice. If the shape of k/d changed I'd get that instead.

Anna

Old February 11th 06, 02:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Anna via CatKB.com wrote:
I"m sorry to hear about your kitty. I also have found that better
ingredients result in better health. No matter what some petfood
salesman says, it definitely is true. I had tried Science Diet food
with my previous cats but they did poorly on it. I"m sure Steve Crane

My 14 year old has been eating Hill's her whole life and is very healthy.

Every food will have different results on different animals. I'm glad
it worked for you. Unfortunately, many people I know had the same
experiences with Hill's that I did. Once they switched to a better
brand, their animals improved. I have a friend who thought Hill's was
a great food for her pet. One day they were out of the flavor of
Hill's that she was feeding, so she decided to try another brand
(Petguard or Wellness, I can't remember which it was). Anyway, after a
bit of time on the new food, she remarked to me how much better her cat
was doing on the new food, with a shinier coat and not as voluminous
stools in the litterbox.

Old February 11th 06, 08:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Every food will have different results on different animals. I'm glad
it worked for you. Unfortunately, many people I know had the same
experiences with Hill's that I did. Once they switched to a better
brand, their animals improved. I have a friend who thought Hill's was
a great food for her pet. One day they were out of the flavor of
Hill's that she was feeding, so she decided to try another brand
(Petguard or Wellness, I can't remember which it was). Anyway, after a
bit of time on the new food, she remarked to me how much better her cat
was doing on the new food, with a shinier coat and not as voluminous
stools in the litterbox.

Yes, I agree, some foods will have different results on different animals.
I'm sure every pet food company has customers who love their product and
swear by it. I've also had the same experience as you - many people have
remarked to me how silky soft my cats' coats are and they have switched to
Hill's as a result. Their cats do not have voluminous stools from eating
this food either - they say it is more compact. But I don't just go by what
kind of coat a food produces, I go by how healthy it keeps my pets on the
inside; healthy organs make for healthy animals.

Anna

Old February 12th 06, 10:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Anna via CatKB.com wrote:
But I don't just go by what
kind of coat a food produces, I go by how healthy it keeps my pets on the
inside; healthy organs make for healthy animals.

Well of course coat condition is just one part of it, although in my
experience a cat with a really good coat will be generally in good
health, although it is not the only indicative factor.