OT - What's wrong with my DVD player?

Old June 8th 06, 03:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default OT - What's wrong with my DVD player?

This problem has been getting worse and worse. At the beginning, the
video and audio match up, but as the DVD plays on, the audio gets ahead
of the video and it gets pretty awful to watch. It's not the individual
DVD's because it's also doing it on ones that didn't do it a few months
ago when I first watched them.
What could the problem be?
I guess it's probably time to get a new player sigh
--
Britta
Purring is an automatic safety valve device for dealing with happiness

Old June 8th 06, 03:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Thu, 8 Jun 2006 10:30:15 +0800, badwilson wrote:

This problem has been getting worse and worse. At the beginning, the
video and audio match up, but as the DVD plays on, the audio gets ahead
of the video and it gets pretty awful to watch. It's not the individual
DVD's because it's also doing it on ones that didn't do it a few months
ago when I first watched them.
What could the problem be?
I guess it's probably time to get a new player sigh

That's pretty bizzare. I've seen software dvd players exhibit that behavior,
but never a real dvd player.

Time to spend the $30 for a new player, it sound like.
Old June 8th 06, 04:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-06-07 21:45:19 -0500, AZ Nomad said:

On Thu, 8 Jun 2006 10:30:15 +0800, badwilson wrote:

This problem has been getting worse and worse. At the beginning, the
video and audio match up, but as the DVD plays on, the audio gets ahead
of the video and it gets pretty awful to watch. It's not the
individual DVD's because it's also doing it on ones that didn't do it a
few months ago when I first watched them.
What could the problem be?
I guess it's probably time to get a new player sigh

That's pretty bizzare. I've seen software dvd players exhibit that behavior,
but never a real dvd player.

Time to spend the $30 for a new player, it sound like.

My DVR will do that sometimes, but if i rewind a bit and play they sync
back up again.

Old June 8th 06, 04:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Wed, 7 Jun 2006 22:16:08 -0500, Karen wrote:

My DVR will do that sometimes, but if i rewind a bit and play they sync
back up again.

I've had the same thing with software mpeg4 video players, but I've
never heard of it happening to a consumer DVD player. About the
only way I can imagine it happening is if the clock rate is running
way slow and the audio processing is lagging behind.

Old June 8th 06, 10:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

badwilson wrote:
This problem has been getting worse and worse. At the beginning, the
video and audio match up, but as the DVD plays on, the audio gets
ahead of the video and it gets pretty awful to watch. It's not the
individual DVD's because it's also doing it on ones that didn't do it
a few months ago when I first watched them.
What could the problem be?
I guess it's probably time to get a new player sigh

One good thing, multiregion DVD players are the norm in Australia and some
are really cheap now, it may be a blessing in diguise.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart.

Old June 8th 06, 12:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"AZ Nomad" wrote in message
On Wed, 7 Jun 2006 22:16:08 -0500, Karen wrote:

My DVR will do that sometimes, but if i rewind a bit and play they sync
back up again.

I've had the same thing with software mpeg4 video players, but I've
never heard of it happening to a consumer DVD player. About the
only way I can imagine it happening is if the clock rate is running
way slow and the audio processing is lagging behind.

Yeah, I would agree with that. The audio and the visual are completely
separate entities on a DVD, which is why it's difficult to rip (steal) one -
you have to have software to decode both and try to put them back together.

kili

Old June 8th 06, 04:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

kilikini wrote:
"AZ Nomad" wrote in message
On Wed, 7 Jun 2006 22:16:08 -0500, Karen wrote:

My DVR will do that sometimes, but if i rewind a bit and play they
sync back up again.

I've had the same thing with software mpeg4 video players, but I've
never heard of it happening to a consumer DVD player. About the
only way I can imagine it happening is if the clock rate is running
way slow and the audio processing is lagging behind.

Yeah, I would agree with that. The audio and the visual are
completely separate entities on a DVD, which is why it's difficult to
rip (steal) one - you have to have software to decode both and try to
put them back together.

kili

I have no clue what's going on with it. Tonight I watched a DVD of TV
shows that my dad recorded for me while we were moving and sent to me
for my B-day. Worked just fine.
I tried the pausing and/or stopping and/or rewinding with one that was
doing it badly yesterday and that didn't help. However, I tried it with
turning off the whole DVD player and starting it up again and it worked.
Hmmm. Very odd. Ya can't get nothing decent for $50 nowadays! ;-)