R.I.P. Peewee (1991-2007)

Old April 14th 07, 02:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Patty

Default R.I.P. Peewee (1991-2007)

On 13 Apr 2007 12:42:10 -0700, -L. wrote:

By sweet boy is gone. I euthanized him today. He went pretty
quickly. This morning I took him out and sat on the steps with him,
and held him, petting his head and ears which he loved. He was
purring pretty heavily and really seemed to enjoy it. The vet came a
couple hours later, gave him a sed, and I held him and stroked him as
he went under, and told him how much I loved him and that he was a
good kitty. Then he was injected with the euth solution, took a final
breath, and that was it. I'm glad I chose today because it was
becoming more and more difficult for him to function. He was weak and
wobbly, and just a shell of his former self - he used to weigh 22lb,
and was barely 5 now, if even that. His meow was weak. It was time.

I still remember the day I chose him - a cage full of little black
kittens, maybe 5 weeks old, playing with each other, beating each
other up. Peewee was the biggest and had a really big head and wide
nose - he looked really funny, but I knew he would grow to be the
handsome boy that he was. He was the only kitten that didn't have a
home, and he kept reaching his little black paw out between the bars,
and grabbing my fingers, so that sealed the deal. That was in April,
16 years ago. He had a good life, and I miss him terribly. Give your
fur babies an extra kiss today.

love,
-L.

My heart goes out to you. I know exactly how you feel. Please know that
you did the best for PeeWee and that your love for him was strong enough to
let him go. I know he's waiting at the Rainbow Bridge for you now. Best
wishes.

Patty

Old April 14th 07, 04:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Elizabeth Blake

I'm very sorry to hear about Peewee. I'm going to give my little black guy
an extra hug & scritch right now.

--
Liz

Old April 14th 07, 06:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-L.

Default Thanks (was R.I.P. Peewee (1991-2007))

Elizabeth Blake wrote:
I'm very sorry to hear about Peewee. I'm going to give my little black guy
an extra hug & scritch right now.

--
Liz

Thanks to all who responded. I'm still in shock. I have dreaded this
day for 16 years and I finally had to make the decision. It's killing
me, but I know it was the right thing to do.

-L.

Old April 14th 07, 07:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"-L." wrote

Thanks to all who responded. I'm still in shock. I have dreaded this
day for 16 years and I finally had to make the decision. It's killing
me, but I know it was the right thing to do.

Lyn,

You gave Peewee a great gift, hard as it was to do. I know it will hurt
for a long time, but you're right--you did the right thing and the kind
thing.
The best thing for your sweet boy. Be good to yourself. I love you.

Cyber and the girls.

Old April 14th 07, 07:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-L.

cybercat wrote:

Lyn,

You gave Peewee a great gift, hard as it was to do. I know it will hurt
for a long time, but you're right--you did the right thing and the kind
thing.
The best thing for your sweet boy. Be good to yourself. I love you.

Cyber and the girls.

Thanks. A couple of things came out of this for me: Don't wait too
long to euthanize a pet. If you notice they are going down hill
rapidly, make a decision, because the next day might be too late. I
think I chose the exact right day for Peewee because I honestly think
he wouldn't have lasted another day, yet he was still able to purr. I
initially tried to get the vet to come Wednesday, but they couldn't
come until Firday morning. He seemed a bit perkier Wed PM, so kept my
Firday appointment, instead of going in some place to have it done,
which he would have hated. When I did my dog Tosh a couple years ago,
I had so many doubts as to whether or not it was the right time. With
Peewee I didn't have those doubts - he was ready, and needed relief.

The second thing that I got out of this is that I'm not sure I could
ever have another indoor-only cat. The joy Peewee got out of being
outside his last couple weeks of life were astounding. I sort of feel
that unless I lived in a place where I could have an enclosed or
femced outdoor area for my cats, I wouldn't ever get another cat.
Mind you, this is my personal feeling about it, having just gone
through what I have over the last few weeks, and is in no way
reflective of what I think other people should do.

Anyway, that's just my musings at this day's end. I hope tomorrow
will bring some happiness to replace my sorrow.
..
-L.

Old April 14th 07, 12:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

On 14 Apr, 07:56, "-L." wrote:
cybercat wrote:

[...]

.
-L.

Our sincere condolences to you. I wish we could take the pain away
from you, but it is one of those things that we have to bare alone...

Each day will become a little bit easier as time goes by, because you
will know that deep in your soul, you gave him the best gift a slave
can give..rest from the pain...
He will wait for you @ the Rainbow Bridge on the day when we meet all
of our loved ones,

With Sympathy,

Sheelagh & Family

Old April 14th 07, 01:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
kraut

[...]

My an my Furbabies prayers and purrs are with you and your.

God bless.

E-mail address altered to foil spam.
Reply to news groups for all to see please.

_
/ )
(\__/) ( (
) ( ) )
={ }= / /
) `-------/ /
( /
\ |
,'\ , ,'
`-'\ ,---\ | \
_) ) `. \ /
(__/ ) )
(_/

(\__/)
)oo(
={ }=

Old April 14th 07, 05:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"-L." wrote

Thanks. A couple of things came out of this for me: Don't wait too
long to euthanize a pet.

I second this. I did this with my first cat, and still regret it.

The second thing that I got out of this is that I'm not sure I could
ever have another indoor-only cat. The joy Peewee got out of being
outside his last couple weeks of life were astounding. I sort of feel
that unless I lived in a place where I could have an enclosed or
femced outdoor area for my cats, I wouldn't ever get another cat.

I might get an enclosure for my cats one day, but I have to say, they
seem so happy inside, looking out their windows, playing and taking
naps. Maybe it depends on where you live--we are in the city and close
enough to the beltline that Gracie sometimes gets spooked by the truck
sounds sitting in her window! Also, the rabbits and chipmunks and birds
are so used to hanging out and playingi in the yard, they'd be hating life
if I let the cats out. (We have a fenced yard but it is chain link and I
have
no doubt they could jump it.)

Mind you, this is my personal feeling about it, having just gone
through what I have over the last few weeks, and is in no way
reflective of what I think other people should do.

Anyway, that's just my musings at this day's end. I hope tomorrow
will bring some happiness to replace my sorrow.

I really hope so too, Lyn. {hug}

Old April 14th 07, 08:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Patty

On 13 Apr 2007 23:56:43 -0700, -L. wrote:

The second thing that I got out of this is that I'm not sure I could
ever have another indoor-only cat. The joy Peewee got out of being
outside his last couple weeks of life were astounding. I sort of feel
that unless I lived in a place where I could have an enclosed or
femced outdoor area for my cats, I wouldn't ever get another cat.
Mind you, this is my personal feeling about it, having just gone
through what I have over the last few weeks, and is in no way
reflective of what I think other people should do.

Anyway, that's just my musings at this day's end. I hope tomorrow
will bring some happiness to replace my sorrow.

Mine have always been outdoor cats. I tried to make Rusty an indoor only
cat and, well, when he nearly destroyed my house I finally relented and let
him outside. Since he came from generations of farm cats, I think it was
in his genes. He needed to roam and hunt and, now in his old days, has
finally slowed down, but even at 16, he still needs to go out and sit on
the deck and explore his close neighborhood (our yard and a few close to
us).

Best wishes to you.

Patty