newbie and a question about fostering

Old October 8th 03, 08:38 AM
Aphrodite's Cat

Default newbie and a question about fostering

G'day.
New around these parts. Might even become a regular poster...

I work at the local SPCA down here and the animal control officer brought in
a box of 5 3-week old kittens. The mother's deceased from being killed by a
stray dog or two. Seems like mummy taught them the basics about kitty boxes
and cleaning/grooming.

Needless to say, they are really the cutest things and the SPCA I work for
is in the business of fostering adoptable kittens (we take anything from 2-3
weeks, usually anything under that, we have to euthanise since the chance of
them living is low and we can't really afford to keep them), so I've become
the proud foster mum of 5 adorable kittens: 2 ginger tabbies, 1 torti, 1
gray and 1 cream tabby.

I just want to make sure that I'm doing the right thing when I feed them.
Right now, I'm giving them kitten milk (lactose-free, plus vitamins, etc).
every 6 hours on advice from the local SPCA inspector.

Questions:
1- Should I feed them closer to every 4 hours than every 6 hours?

2- Should I move them to wet food within the next few days, since their
teeth seem to be poking through and how do I wean them off the milk?

3- Do I substitute milk with food every second feeding or start out once a
day or move them to food all in one sitting?

I've never had to foster kittens before- most of the ones that I've gotten
(23 or so in the last 17 years) have been weaned and litter trained.
--
Aphrodite's Cat

Old October 8th 03, 01:36 PM
Joe Pitt

GOOD FOR YOU.
My group does 'bottle babies' a lot. The way we wean them from the bottle is
to mix the kitten milk (we use KMR) with canned kitten food to start. Then
decreas the amount of KMR in the mix over a week or so. Then add dry food to
the cage for 'at will eating' at about 5 weeks to supplement and decrease
the amout of canned food/milk. Always have water available also. Make sure
you handle them alot as they get older so they become used to people. Do
they seem hungry every 4 hours? If not then go to every 6.

Good luck. Since this is your first 'bottle babies' I wouldn't be surprised
if you keep one.
--
Joe
http://www.jwpitt.com/cats.htm

Old October 8th 03, 08:46 PM
Aphrodite's Cat

My husband was pretty reluctant to even let me foster these. We've got an
Alsatian and 2 kittens (6-7 months and 4-5 months) already. He said we
couldn't keep one. (

The animal control officer who dropped them off is getting either 2 or 3 and
we're getting the rest. Kitten season is right around the corner and people
are already looking for them.

Thanks for the advice... will try and see how it goes. With any luck, in a
few weeks, I'll have 5 healthy kittens ready to be homed.
--
Aphrodite's Cat
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"Joe Pitt" wrote in message
.. .
GOOD FOR YOU.
My group does 'bottle babies' a lot. The way we wean them from the bottle

is
to mix the kitten milk (we use KMR) with canned kitten food to start. Then
decreas the amount of KMR in the mix over a week or so. Then add dry food

the cage for 'at will eating' at about 5 weeks to supplement and decrease
the amout of canned food/milk. Always have water available also. Make sure
you handle them alot as they get older so they become used to people. Do
they seem hungry every 4 hours? If not then go to every 6.

Good luck. Since this is your first 'bottle babies' I wouldn't be

surprised
if you keep one.

---