what is wrong with my cat?

Old August 21st 05, 07:31 PM
Sarah H via CatKB.com

Default what is wrong with my cat?

can anyone help me with this? my black cat is female and about 4 yrs old. she
had kittens when she was younger and has since been spayed. since she was
spayed she has put on quite a lot of weight. she doesn't really seem to like
cat food from tins so eats a complete dry food. recently she has started
having these episodes when she stands on the stairs in the house and howls
loudly. she runs around meowing and saliva drips from her mouth. she also
urinates at quite high speed and sometimes poos as well. this appears to be
uncontrolable.she bites you if you pick her up and hisses and growls while
she does all of this. afterwards she eats cat biscuits really fast like she
is starving and purrs. she is also very affectionate and rubs against my legs.
she knows how to use a litter tray and there is always one available .she
does this sometimes three days in a row and then not again for about 3-
5weeks. yesterday i came into the house and found her sitting on a chair
resting but she had urinated on the chair and frothy spit was dripping off
the edge of the chair. she seemed obvlivious to what shed done .she then
continued to eat and purr as usual. she goes outside a lot and seems to enjoy
the garden. we have 3 other cats and a quiet dog. could this be behaviourable?
hormonal?. im not sure . the vet said to get more of a dairy together first
before they decide to check anything out. i think this is common with fitting
but can a fitting cat really run about at the same time? any help/general
comments much appreciated.

--
Sarah
Old August 21st 05, 07:36 PM
Sarah H via CatKB.com

i must correct my above thread. the vet did of course tell me to get a diary
together not as i wrote a dairy!!

--
Sarah
Old August 21st 05, 07:49 PM
Candace

Sarah H via CatKB.com wrote:
[...]

I'm kind of surprised the vet didn't do bloodwork. Mine usually wants
to do it for virtually everything. Some of it sounds like
hyperthyroidism but she seems too young for that as it is generally
older kitties who get it. Or else some sort of neurological disorder
but I don't know why it would only happen every 3-5 weeks. I wonder if
it is that hyperesthesia syndrome that I have read about here. Maybe
you could google that.

I would want bloodwork done.

I'm sorry but what is a "fitting cat"?

Candace

Old August 21st 05, 07:50 PM
Newbie

Sarah H via CatKB.com wrote:

[...]

Stay with the vet. Doe snot seem like a case to for newsgroup diagnosis.
Old August 21st 05, 09:57 PM
(WebElder)

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 18:31:55 GMT, "Sarah H via CatKB.com"
wrote:

[...]

Does she have these episodes after being outside?? Watch and see if
she is eating any grass (possible pesticides) or plants that she
should not be eating. The saliva from the mouth could be from
attempting to vomit up from a dry stomach. The fact that she seems
fine the rest of the time makes me think she is ingesting something or
having a toxic reaction to something.

I'm not a Vet,so please don't take what I suggest as more than just a
possibility.

Ray
WebElder
I don't "Suffer" from Insanity..I rather enjoy it!

CATTS
http://members.tripod.com/~thewebster/catts.html

Home Page
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Laby...6/meshead.html
Old August 21st 05, 10:09 PM
Sarah H via CatKB.com

by a fitting cat i meant a cat having a fit or seizure.

--
Sarah

Old August 22nd 05, 02:45 PM
JQ

Sounds like hyperthyroidism foresure, or hypertension of some kind. Get
a blood test.
Good luck!
JQ

Old August 24th 05, 05:37 PM
JQ

I just found this online about causes for howling cats:
High toxins sometimes the cause or old age. Or high blood pressure or
stomach acid, hypertensive

Old August 24th 05, 05:37 PM
JQ

Old August 26th 05, 08:23 PM
Kalyahna

"Sarah H via CatKB.com" wrote in message
can anyone help me with this? my black cat is female and about 4 yrs old.

she
had kittens when she was younger and has since been spayed. since she was
spayed she has put on quite a lot of weight.

Not unusual for a fixed cat to gain weight. Might want to talk to your vet
about a reduced calorie diet or scheduled feedings to help her lose some of
the chunk.

[...]

One of my cats has ideopathic epilepsy - they don't know why, she just has
seizures from time to time. First, I would suggest keeping her inside for a
few weeks. If this eliminates her "fits," it may well be that she's getting
into something outside that she's reacting to. Bloodwork would certainly be
a good idea either way (whether the fits stop or continue). If she's having
epileptic seizures... that may explain the foaming at the mouth, or the
urination, or the vocalising (purrs or howls), but I don't know about moving
around that much. The only time my cat has had a grand mal seizure, she was
in a carrier. She certainly thrashed around and foamed at the mouth, but as
she wasn't loose, I can't say if she was capable of movement. During her
petit mal seizures, she isn't.