will 110V kill a 1 1/2 pound kitten?

Old August 15th 05, 12:40 AM

Default will 110V kill a 1 1/2 pound kitten?

Hi, I have seen some discussion here on how to stop cats chewing
electrical cords. I have a slightly different question on the subject.

I have a 6 week old kitten, 1 1/2 pounds now, and he loves to bite and
scratch electrical cords. I sprayed lots of some bitter-tasting
deterrent from a pet store, I tried to taste it, it is awful, but he
seems unfazed by it. I tried educating the kitty, but there are simply
too many cords for him to "get it".

OK, I personally don't really mind have cords chewed through and have
to periodically replace some of them. What I do mind having a dead cat
from 110 volts of electricity.

So, my question is: can biting on an electrical cord, if he touches
both wires at the same time that is - there are carpets on the floor so
he is insulated from ground, so the only way is to touch both wires...,
can that kill a 1 1/2 pound kitten? The electricity will presumably
just go from one tooth through the mouth to the other. Will that kill?

Thank you,

Mark

Old August 15th 05, 12:54 AM
MaryL

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Yes, it can kill. Some people have had success with bitter apple. I don't
know if that's what you tried, or not. You could also try threading your
cords through the type of flexible protectors that are sold in computer
stores, and there are some flat protectors to use if the cords have to
stretch across the floor. I even visited one home where the had used very
thin PVC conduits for their cords.

MaryL
Mark

Old August 15th 05, 02:19 AM
Karen

in article dRQLe.1073$Ix4.601@okepread03, MaryL at
AKE-OUT-THE-LITTER wrote on 8/14/05 6:54 PM:

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

On another group an adult cat was just electrcuted biting into a 110v cord.
Her hip was dislocated and her mouth burned. What I did when my cats were
kittens is duct taped down all cords on the floor and bound together any
hanging ones. You could also get some flexible tubing and split it down one
side to cover cords. It's pretty important to get this under control if your
kitten is really fascinated by cords.

Old August 15th 05, 03:13 AM
Betsy

Not only can it kill but it can start a fire in your house if the puncture
gets wet. Been there, and just managed to avoid it.

Moreover, you risk shorting out and ruining expensive equipment like
computers and phones. Been there.

Deal with it.

ups.com...

Old August 15th 05, 04:54 AM
Charlie Wilkes

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 22:13:29 -0400, "Betsy" wrote:

Not only can it kill but it can start a fire in your house if the puncture
gets wet. Been there, and just managed to avoid it.

Moreover, you risk shorting out and ruining expensive equipment like
computers and phones. Been there.

Deal with it.

Got any videos? A couple of the ladies here get off on that kind of
thing. They've been playing kill-the-cat on a web site and bragging
about their high scores. One of them is a KKK type and the other is a
seriously ****ed-off alcoholic.

Charlie

oups.com...

Old August 15th 05, 06:48 AM
Joske

Charlie Wilkes wrote:
"Betsy" wrote:

Not only can it kill but it can start a fire in your house if
the puncture gets wet. Been there, and just managed to avoid it.

Moreover, you risk shorting out and ruining expensive equipment
like computers and phones. Been there.

Deal with it.

Got any videos? A couple of the ladies here get off on that kind
of thing. They've been playing kill-the-cat on a web site and
bragging about their high scores. One of them is a KKK type and
the other is a seriously ****ed-off alcoholic.

Charlie, Charlie... ;-)

Joske

Old August 15th 05, 10:55 AM
John Doe

You need to stop it.

Old August 15th 05, 07:40 PM
Jennifer

MaryL wrote:
Some people have had success with bitter apple.

Bitter apple spray worked for my cat for a while, but she's recently
decided that she doesn't mind it so much.

Brought my laptop home last week - the cord had never been sprayed.
Within 30 minutes of plugging in, I got a "Save your work and shut down
your computer or change power sources" alert. She'd completely ruined
the cord already - I didn't even see her come into the room. Luckily I
had a spare, which I completely coated with bitter apple spray before
plugging back in. I turned around 5 minutes later, and there she was,
happily gnawing away at the just-sprayed cord.

Essence of Orange is next, I guess. I don't want to wrap every cord in
the house with tinfoil, but I will if I have to. She's been really
lucky so far, but that can't last forever.

I tried a skinny little rawhide chew this weekend, too, just to see if
it would interest her in any way. She did chew on it, for about 10
seconds. Maybe if I plugged it into an electrical outlet, she'd find
it more interesting

--
Jennifer

Old August 15th 05, 08:49 PM
MaryL

"Jennifer" wrote in message
oups.com...

MaryL wrote:
[...]

Have you tried one of those flexible conduits (not sure of the correct term)
that are sold in computer stores? They come in various diameters, so they
can hold one cord or the larger ones will contain several cords. The
cord(s) are inserted in a slid in the side of the conduit. They are
actually designed as a way to organize the many cords that come with
computers, but they also work very well to protect cords from cats (and cats
from cords). They are inexpensive.

MaryL

Old August 15th 05, 10:01 PM
Jennifer

MaryL wrote:

Have you tried one of those flexible conduits (not sure of the correct term)
that are sold in computer stores?

We have some of those for out larger bundles of cords, like behind the
desks in our office, but it actually winds up being really awkward
(cords from the peripherals into the power management block, from the
block to the UPS, from the UPS to the outlet. Cords from the machines
to the router, from the router to the walls. We run some of the cords
through holes, but it's a real pain any time we need to plug and unplug
or more anything, and parts of the cords alway stick out anyway.
Scout is particularly adept at fishing out slack. Plus, power cords are
not the only problem. Keyboards and mice are perpetual targets as well.

We have a ridiculous amount of cords in ones and twos and threes and
tens all over the house, including ones in weird locations that only a
cat can get into, like between the aquarium and the wall, behind the
stereo components, and running up beside a doorframe.

Training hasn't worked, sprays haven't worked, and cord managers only
sort-of work and are really awkward. If/when I ever find a complete
solution that works well in all situations, I will post We still
have orange essence and chili pepper/vegetable oil to try (though the
last one sounds sticky and unpleasant).

Working on it...

--
Jennifer