using a blacklight to find kitty pee

Old August 15th 05, 04:18 AM
Rona Y.

Default using a blacklight to find kitty pee

I'm quite certain my cat has been peeing somewhere other than her
litter boxes. I have found the general area, but think there might be
more spots. I bought a blacklight, but have been having problems using
it. Anyone have experience using these things? I know I have to use
them in the dark, but do I have to hold them a certain distance from
the area being checked? Does it have to be held for a specific period
of time?

Another question...I didn't buy one of those blacklights marketed
specifically to cat owners. Instead, I bought an indoor 75W blacklight
bulb and have been using it with a hanging lamp kit without the shade.
Was this a mistake? I was told that it should work the same way one of
those more expensive specific-use-marketed models.

It looks so much easier on CSI!

Old August 15th 05, 11:20 AM
Wendy

"Rona Y." wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm quite certain my cat has been peeing somewhere other than her
litter boxes. I have found the general area, but think there might be
more spots. I bought a blacklight, but have been having problems using
it. Anyone have experience using these things? I know I have to use
them in the dark, but do I have to hold them a certain distance from
the area being checked? Does it have to be held for a specific period
of time?

Another question...I didn't buy one of those blacklights marketed
specifically to cat owners. Instead, I bought an indoor 75W blacklight
bulb and have been using it with a hanging lamp kit without the shade.
Was this a mistake? I was told that it should work the same way one of
those more expensive specific-use-marketed models.

It looks so much easier on CSI!

My experience with black light bulbs (if it's one that is the shape of a
regular incandescent bulb but purple) is they are very weak and not good at
getting stuff to fluoresce. We tried using them in the charity haunted house
the youth group at church puts on and they didn't cut it. You'd be better
off picking up a 'stink finder' at a pet store like Pet Smart. If you hold
the light a foot or two off the floor it should show up anything that is
there immediately.

Old August 15th 05, 01:41 PM

Rona Y. wrote:
I'm quite certain my cat has been peeing somewhere other than her
litter boxes. I have found the general area, but think there might be
more spots. I bought a blacklight, but have been having problems using
it. Anyone have experience using these things? I know I have to use
them in the dark, but do I have to hold them a certain distance from
the area being checked? Does it have to be held for a specific period
of time?

Another question...I didn't buy one of those blacklights marketed
specifically to cat owners. Instead, I bought an indoor 75W blacklight
bulb and have been using it with a hanging lamp kit without the shade.
Was this a mistake? I was told that it should work the same way one of
those more expensive specific-use-marketed models.

It looks so much easier on CSI!

I've never used a bulb, but I did buy a "Super Stink Finder" from
Petsmart. If you're pretty sure your cat has used that area, it should
immediately light up. Remember, if it's thick carpet, a small surface
spot might light up, not the large area that's down in the pad. I
bought the really small blacklight, so it's not very powerful; you have
to hold it right down on the spot. I'd recommend buying the size larger
one.

Sherry

Old August 15th 05, 03:15 PM
Wendy

"Barb from before" wrote in message
o.verio.net...
I bought the black light for pet purposes, used it on my off white, almost
new at the time, carpet and I almost passed out. If you've handed a cat a
piece of chicken and they put it on the carpet that will show up. Spilled
soup, whatever. So much appeared suspect that I put the light away and
never used it again! I have my carpets cleaned twice a year and am told
my
house smells fine.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

The black lights are good if you smell something and can't find it.
Depending on the color of the carpeting, it's not always obvious where the
cat peed.

Old August 15th 05, 04:20 PM
Jmagerl

Rona Y. wrote:
I'm quite certain my cat has been peeing somewhere other than her
litter boxes. I have found the general area, but think there might be
more spots. I bought a blacklight, but have been having problems
using it. Anyone have experience using these things? I know I have
to use them in the dark, but do I have to hold them a certain
distance from the area being checked? Does it have to be held for a
specific period of time?

Another question...I didn't buy one of those blacklights marketed
specifically to cat owners. Instead, I bought an indoor 75W
blacklight bulb and have been using it with a hanging lamp kit
without the shade. Was this a mistake? I was told that it should
work the same way one of those more expensive specific-use-marketed
models.

It looks so much easier on CSI!

I have a 12 inch fluoresent Halloween black light. I figured if anything
would show up, it would be in the litter box. Nada. Nothing. zippo. I then
took it over to the carpet and what a mess. Everything I ever spilled showed
up (as a previous poster noted). So...I don't recommend it for pee locating.
Not that Mr. Bonkers has ever peed on the rug. THis thread just tickled my
interest and I thought I'd try it out.

Old August 15th 05, 07:58 PM
animzmirot

"Jmagerl" wrote in message
Rona Y. wrote:
[...]

I have to agree. I borrowed my son's black light he uses for psychedelic
posters (he's 13.) The light is about 18" long, and when I shone it on the
floor, EVERY SINGLE THING flouresced. I was in shock. I thought the kitty
had been peeing over my entire house and it must REALLY stink. I don't have
much of a sense of smell, so I can't tell. But much of what flouresced
wasn't pee at all. The big lights are too much, I think.

Marjorie

Old August 16th 05, 10:18 PM
Rona Y.

Interesting! I thought I was being frugal by making my own blacklight,
but now it looks like I'll have to spend more to get one that actually
works! The only ones I've found at the pet store were little 4" ones.
I didn't think they'd be strong enough. Home Depot only had 24" and up
ones and I thought those might be too big. I'll have to do a bit more
of a search to find a good-sized, but not too large, one. Although I'm
trying to locate her pee-spots, I'm really doing it more for fun...I
should have been a CSI!

Old August 17th 05, 03:21 AM
Jmagerl

Rona Y. wrote:
Interesting! I thought I was being frugal by making my own
blacklight, but now it looks like I'll have to spend more to get one
that actually works! The only ones I've found at the pet store were
little 4" ones. I didn't think they'd be strong enough. Home Depot
only had 24" and up ones and I thought those might be too big. I'll
have to do a bit more of a search to find a good-sized, but not too
large, one. Although I'm trying to locate her pee-spots, I'm really
doing it more for fun...I should have been a CSI!

FYI: Halloween is coming up. You can usually find blacklights for less than
$10 in the after halloween close outs. Thats where I got mine. ITs a foot
long flourescent and puts out plenty of light. I just can;t find any cat pee
with it (I see everything else though)

Old August 21st 05, 06:45 PM
Anna

Diane wrote:

In article
aHlwYXRpYQ==.3889945db2b8e9beec1bb27bdf94310d@112 4588033.nulluser.com,
"Anna" wrote:

Can't you smell?

Believe it or not, sometimes cat urine doesn't smell that noticeable
until it accumulates. I know, hard to believe, but it can be true.
--

Yes it is hard to believe. I think it is more likely
that there is something wrong with the nose that cannot

Luck Kitty Rescue xxxxx Cats - misc 0 December 26th 04 09:02 PM
A Gift from Mai Kitty David Cat anecdotes 20 May 2nd 04 09:50 PM
Yu noze, I furgotz tu tellz yurownselfz abowt da TROODUR KITTY... Amelia T Cat Cat community 6 February 28th 04 11:13 AM
Took in Adandon Kitty, What Have I DONE??? Charles Cat health & behaviour 57 January 21st 04 10:17 PM
Took in Adandon Kitty, What Have I DONE??? Charles Cats - misc 40 January 13th 04 01:03 AM