Good/bad medicine

Old April 18th 09, 07:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Default Good/bad medicine

I've been giving the cats their antibiotics a few days now. It turned
out exactly opposite to what I anticipated. I thought I'd have trouble
with Caliban, while Miranda would be easy. Naturally, they had to
contradict me completely.

The pills are fairly small, and I only have to give 1/4 pill per cat
twice a day, so the piece is very small. I remembered I had this German
cat snack, a soft stick that you can wrap around a pill, tucked away in
a drawer (I never managed to fool either Frank or Nikki with it).

As it turns out, Caliban loves this treat. I mean, he loves all food and
treats and some stuff that is not supposed to be eaten by cats, but he
*really, really* loves this treat. Maniacally. I've never seen him so
eager and crazy for anything, and that's saying a lot when it comes to
Caliban. I have to shut him in the bathroom while I hide the pill, not
so he doesn't see me hiding the pill but because he would interfere too
much while I'm handling the treat.

He doesn't even notice the one-fourth pill hidden inside when he hoovers
the treat. Then he's very disappointed that he doesn't get more than a
small piece of the treat. He then supervises while I crush the meds for
Mir and mix it into water and draw it into the syringe. And I mean
supervise. His nose is in the way all the time while I do this, since he
thinks there are more treats to be had. No matter how many times I let
him smell the concoction I'm making, he still suspects I'm trying to
hide more treats from him.

I've mentioned in another post how Mir is laying a guilt trip on me for
daring to insult her with the medicine. I think she's gradually getting
used to it, but she's not happy about it. I wish she'd like the treats,
but she just sniffs it and walks away. sigh

--
Marina, Miranda and Caliban.
In loving memory of Frank and Nikki.
Old April 18th 09, 10:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Marina wrote:

As it turns out, Caliban loves this treat. I mean, he loves all food and
treats and some stuff that is not supposed to be eaten by cats, but he
*really, really* loves this treat. Maniacally. I've never seen him so
eager and crazy for anything, and that's saying a lot when it comes to
Caliban. I have to shut him in the bathroom while I hide the pill, not
so he doesn't see me hiding the pill but because he would interfere too
much while I'm handling the treat.

That's great. Licky was similar, although I gather from your stories that
Caliban is an order of magnitude more intense about it - about anything
that is food related. Licky did meow for his "treats" (I have Pill
Pockets, which are similiar, except that instead of a stick of the pliable
stuff, it's been pre-molded into tiny little "cups". You stick the pill
inside the cup and then moosh it all together. Same idea. Licky is very
polite about it all, but he definitely enjoyed his medicine treats. I'm
almost sorry he's done with the meds because now I'm not giving him treats
anymore. I don't want to give him the pill pockets without the pills,
because I don't want him to get used to *that*. Then he won't like it when
it has a pill inside!

He doesn't even notice the one-fourth pill hidden inside when he hoovers
the treat. Then he's very disappointed that he doesn't get more than a
small piece of the treat. He then supervises while I crush the meds for
Mir and mix it into water and draw it into the syringe. And I mean
supervise. His nose is in the way all the time while I do this, since he
thinks there are more treats to be had. No matter how many times I let
him smell the concoction I'm making, he still suspects I'm trying to
hide more treats from him.

He's hilarious! I love the image of his nose being in the way. Sorry,
I'm sure it's less than amusing when you're trying to prepare Miranda's
medicine.

--
Joyce ^..^

Old April 18th 09, 11:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lisa Katt[_2_]

"Marina" skrev i meddelandet
[...]

I must have missed something, what is the matter with your kitties?

Elisabet

Old April 18th 09, 11:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Lisa Katt wrote:

I must have missed something, what is the matter with your kitties?

Caliban tested positive for mycoplasma. Mir hasn't been tested, but she
is getting a short course of the antibiotics, just in case. She doesn't
have any symptoms. Caliban has been coughing (now and then) and has an
ulcer on his tongue.

Old April 18th 09, 05:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_2_]

"Marina" wrote in message
[...]

\

Silly Cali! Purrs that Mir learns to cooperate.

--
Theresa and Dante

Stinky Forever: http://pets.webshots.com/album/125591586JWEFwh

Old April 18th 09, 10:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christine Burel[_2_]

Location: Albuquerque, NM, USA

Loved reading this post, Marina -- that's so cute how Caliban gets
fanatically interested in his "treat!"
Here's hoping Miranda will "let you make it up to her." ;o)
Christine