cat food question

Old November 3rd 10, 02:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc
Phyllis Stone

Default cat food question

I have a beautiful female cat who has adopted us. She hung around for a few
weeks and I tried to find her owners but never did. She had been spayed and
likes to sleep on the bed and does all the things that a well loved pet
does. She had some bad habits, love nips, furniture scratching but we have
mostly worked these out. The one persistent problem is the food. She is so
picky and will go without eating rather than eat something she dislikes. One
of her favorite things is those Kroger pouches, but only tuna. I doubt these
are good for her, I worry that they are even harmful. She will eat some dry
food. I don't know what her previous owners fed her. Is there anything that
all cats like that is good for them too? I have tried cooking for her,
chicken and fish but she rejects that too.

Old November 3rd 10, 11:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc
Gandalf[_2_]

On Wed, 3 Nov 2010 08:34:47 -0500, "Phyllis Stone"
wrote:

I have a beautiful female cat who has adopted us. She hung around for a few
weeks and I tried to find her owners but never did. She had been spayed and
likes to sleep on the bed and does all the things that a well loved pet
does. She had some bad habits, love nips, furniture scratching but we have
mostly worked these out. The one persistent problem is the food. She is so
picky and will go without eating rather than eat something she dislikes. One
of her favorite things is those Kroger pouches, but only tuna. I doubt these
are good for her, I worry that they are even harmful. She will eat some dry
food. I don't know what her previous owners fed her. Is there anything that
all cats like that is good for them too? I have tried cooking for her,
chicken and fish but she rejects that too.

I would post this question on the Usenet newsgroup

rec.pets.cats.health+behav

It gets more traffic than this group, and there are people who read it
who are more knowledgeable than I am.

I CAN tell you that tuna made for humans is VERY bad for cats: it is
deficient in MANY of the nutrients necessary for to maintain good
health.

Additionally, tuna is at the top of the ocean food chain, and tends to
concentrate the mercury that humans have released into the environment.

This mercury is retained and further concentrated in the small body of
your cat, with potentially very serious consequences.

My personal recommendation would be to buy some high quality canned cat
food, and put out small amounts of it for your cat.

Likely, she won't eat it.

You will become worried and upset, because she's not eating.

DON'T GIVE IN, as you have in the past!

Your cat WILL get hungry enough to eat what is available to her.

But, by all means, post your question in RPCH+B, and you will get
further, and probably some better advice.

Good luck with your cat, and thank you for taking her in, and giving her
a good home.
Old November 12th 10, 11:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc
snuffy

I am of the opinion that if the cat is hungry, he will eat. I know
which cans to avoid buying now. Have you tried the treats in the
little jars?