static!

Old December 17th 04, 03:30 PM
ceb

Default static!

Greetings:

Maybe this is an annual thread, I don't know, but I'm wondering if anyone
has ideas about minimizing those awful static shocks that become so common
in the winter. I don't want Rosalie to get afraid of touching me!

--Catherine
& Rosalie the calicohead
Old December 17th 04, 04:03 PM
Phil P.

"ceb" wrote in message
Greetings:

Maybe this is an annual thread, I don't know, but I'm wondering if anyone
has ideas about minimizing those awful static shocks that become so common
in the winter. I don't want Rosalie to get afraid of touching me!

Use a humidifier.

Phil

--Catherine
& Rosalie the calicohead

Old December 17th 04, 05:26 PM
Rene S.

Hi Catherine,

I use a humidifier (12 gallon floor model). You can purchase
inexpensive tabletop models for under $30 too. Also, you can leave out
jars or containers of water (hidden or up higher) for added moisture.

I usually try and "deshock" myself by touching something before petting
one of the cats, too.

Rene

Old December 17th 04, 05:35 PM
Jmagerl

use one of these.
http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/s...sp?T1=116+0125
THey are available at most good computer stores. Search on cordless anti
static wrist strap.
Uses a bunch of very fine pointy needles (in a box) to drain the charge off
of you. THere will be a metal plate held to your skin by the strap. A dab of
lotion on it (yes they make special antistatic lotion) will insure better
contact.
There are also antistatic sprays you can spray fabrics with but downey
fabric softner works just as well. Don't spray anything you can't wash.

Old December 17th 04, 10:35 PM
Suzie-Q

In article ,
ceb wrote:

- Greetings:
-
- Maybe this is an annual thread, I don't know, but I'm wondering if anyone
- has ideas about minimizing those awful static shocks that become so common
- in the winter. I don't want Rosalie to get afraid of touching me!
-
- --Catherine
- & Rosalie the calicohead

I have heard that you can use those fabric softener sheets that
go in your dryer -- you rub them on the cats.

HOWEVER I have no idea if this is a good idea or not, since the
cats will no doubt be cleaning themselves and, therefore, licking
the stuff that's on the sheets.

Does anyone know?
--
8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~

http://www.suzanne-eckhardt.com/
***Revelation 22:12*** ICQ: 349878998
http://www.intergnat.com/malebashing/
Old December 18th 04, 12:31 AM
Darmok

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 14:30:27 +0000 (UTC), ceb
wrote:

Greetings:

Maybe this is an annual thread, I don't know, but I'm wondering if anyone
has ideas about minimizing those awful static shocks that become so common
in the winter. I don't want Rosalie to get afraid of touching me!

--Catherine
& Rosalie the calicohead

Best solution is to have a heating contractor install a humidifier
onto your furnace. Aprilaire makes a whole line of them, and they are
probably the most popular. When I had a new furnace installed in my
home about 4 years ago (along with central A/C), I had them install an
Aprilaire humidifier and electrostatic air cleaner. Being able to
keep the humidity in your home at about 40% not only ends the static,
but it also means that you will use less heating energy. You will
feel just as warm at say 70 deg. with 40% humidity, as you would at 75
degrees with 10-15% humidity. There's not much to installing a unit,
and they aren't terribly expensive. If you have a SO who is handy with
tools and metal work, he could likely install it. Otherwise, go the
route of the contractor.

Bill & the boys
Old December 20th 04, 05:12 PM
ceb

[...]