Ragdoll eating only a little bit

Old June 27th 03, 09:28 PM
Marcel

Default Ragdoll eating only a little bit

LS,
our 2 year old female Ragdoll has been eating very little for months now.
She used to have a healthy appetite, but since last February she doesn't
really like to eat.
We've been trying all kinds of food (only dry food, she never touched canned
food, even when she had an appetite).
We took her to the vet for all kinds of tests, none of which indicated any
kind of disease.
She eats a few pieces of dry food at a time, especially in the morning. Only
by giving a lot of attention to it we managed to keep her weight up.
She plays and looks healthy. We're sure she doesn't eat elsewhere. She's not
nurtured.
There are days that she eats better, but mostly it's definitely below
normal.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated,

Marcel
The Netherlands

Old June 27th 03, 09:39 PM
Joe Canuck

Take your cat to another vet for a 2nd opinion. Try to find one that
specializes in cats only if possible.

Has your Ragdoll lost any weight? I have a 2 year old female that is
steady at between 16 - 17 pounds.

When she had a healthy appetite what food was she eating? Maybe put her
back on that.

--
"Its the bugs that keep it running."
-Joe Canuck

Old June 28th 03, 07:42 PM
Helen

"Marcel" wrote in message
[...]

You don't mention exactly which tests you've had done, but if you haven't
had her heart checked, please take her back to the vet ASAP. My cat also
lost his appetite, and standard tests showed nothing. However, eventually we
discovered he had a form of heart disease called Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy
(HCM). This disease is more common in Ragdolls, so it has to be a
possibility. Please ask your vet to ultrasound her heart, that is the way to
diagnose this disease. More info he

http://www.felinecrf.org/related_diseases.htm#HCM1

HTH, good luck

Helen

Old June 28th 03, 11:04 PM

A cat not eating, showing a weight loss,
is ALWAYS a problem. Problems of that
nature should be dealt with immediately,
not allowed to go on for months. Don't hold back on
going to a second vet.

Good info below.