Sick Kitty. Please help!

Old July 12th 04, 07:08 PM
Cameron Perry

Default Sick Kitty. Please help!

Hello,

We have a 5 year old spayed female who has a history rhinitus which is
caused by a cyst in her sinus. We cannot afford the price of an endoscophy
$5000.00 to have the cyst removed. A couple of times a year she gets a
sinus infection which is treated with antibiotics and she recovers. This
time however it got worse and she became dehydrated, we had three rounds
with the vets to hydrate her and stabilize her. The vet suggested
euthanasia at one point, when she began showing a little improvement we
decided to take her home for the weekend and see how she fares.

Thus far the cat is being force fed Nutrical and a high caloric diet as well
as water( sinus infection still ). She keeps this all down, she is
lethargic yet her interest in things around her has improved. In other words
she is mostly sitting hunched over in her box. Kitty will get up to pee and
she is making stool. I have no idea of a time line for kitty to judge her
progress, I have the time to watch her and feed her and water her every 90
minutes, so we don't have to rush to a decision.

Does anyone have any practical experience with cats who are down?

Thanks in advance,

Cameron Perry

Old July 12th 04, 10:14 PM
Electric Nachos

Why don't you do the humane thing and put her out of her misery? You might
have the time to watch her suffer, but does she have to suffer through time?

Old July 13th 04, 01:13 AM
Cameron Perry

This was the gist of my question. I am not certain kitty is suffering, she
is fairly inactive yet she has pulled out of this in the past. As it is
right now she has a sinus infection. I was asking how long I should wait
before making this decision. I have waited this long in the past and she
pulled through.

Last thing I want is kitty to suffer.

Thanks,

Cameron Perry

Old July 13th 04, 02:08 AM
JoJo

Cameron,

Ignore the previous poster - it's a troll.

Only you can make the call - and it's a tough one. You'll know when the
time is right. How long can you continue to give supportive therapy? It
can be tough on you, especially if no improvement is seen. What is the
quality of life your cat has?

I had a cat with reocurring URI's. At one point it was so bad his head was
so stuffy, he couldn't smell. Since he had no sense of smell he didn't want
to eat. I had to tube feed him (he had also had exploratory surgery, and
got the URI from being in vets) for a week and half. From then on he would
continue to get URI's. Have you tried putting the cat in a small room w/a
vaporizer (like the ones they use for kids)? It helped Z on many
occassions. You can get one at any pharmacy for as little as $10 - if it
doesn't produce enough steam, try adding some table salt to the water, it
works. You can use the menthol stuff and add it to the "well" too (the
vaporizer may come w/a sample).

Maybe this will help the cats sinuses clear up enough to become interested
in eating on her own. Try it a few times a day - it won't hurt anything.

I'm sorry I can't help you more. You can always go to another vet for
second opinion. And I'm sorry, but you are the only one who can determine
if it's time. I'm sure you will do whatever is best for your cat - only you
can truly judge quality of life. Not an outsider.

Good luck and please keep us posted. I hope she does improve.

JoJo

Old July 13th 04, 02:42 AM
~*Connie*~

also pediatric nose drops might help.
I would also recommend shopping around for the surgery.. that seems like an
extremely high price.