Holiday Cards (Felinitations)

Old August 21st 09, 06:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

Default Holiday Cards (Felinitations)

I know, I know, its *miles* away from the holidays and most of you are still
happily enjoying your summer and not thinking remotely about snow and ice.

Still, as any of you have previously organised The List, it needs alot of
organising, and so I may as well get started. Those of you subscribed to
Felinitations have just been sent a "PING". Please reply to it so I know
your e-mail is valid. No need to write anything in particular, just reply
and send will do- the replies don't get broadcast to the whole group, they
only go to me (I'm the only one who can post.... bwahahahaha).

Those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about:

Every year for the past at least 7 years, we've exchanged Holiday Greeting
Cards with each other during the December holidays. This year, like last
year, I'm managing the List via Yahoo Groups, with a group name of
Felinitations. The only difference between using Yahoo Groups and the old
way is that I no longer have to keep a list of e-mail addies, and you folk
can update your e-mail addies without having to notify me.

If you would like to join, please send me an e-mail (mind the spamtrap) and
I will send you the link to the group that you can then subscribe to.

Feel free to ask any questions - this year should be far less confusing than
last yer (she says confidently.....)

Yowie

Old August 24th 09, 10:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Yowie wrote:
[...]

I did not like this new way at all last year and don't like it now.
I will continue with the "old" list for Christmas cards.
Not "holiday cards" what's that supposed to mean?

Tweed

Old August 24th 09, 11:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Victor Martinez

Christina Websell wrote:
Not "holiday cards" what's that supposed to mean?

It means that not everybody in the group is a christian or celebrates x-mas.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old August 24th 09, 11:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default The "holiday season" (was: Holiday Cards (Felinitations))

Christina Websell wrote:

I did not like this new way at all last year and don't like it now.
I will continue with the "old" list for Christmas cards.
Not "holiday cards" what's that supposed to mean?

(NOTE TO YOWIE: I do not mean to trash your idea in the least. I'm just
going off on a tangent - see change of subject line.)

Ah, "holiday cards". Or the "holiday season" in general. That's where
people pretend they're being inclusive and "multicultural" by wishing
each other "happy holidays" and having "holiday" parties. But let's
face it, it's really all about Christmas. So yeah, I agree with you -
why not just call it what it is?

The only really big, major holiday in late December is Christmas.
Other holidays that just happen to occur around the same time, such
as Chanukah or Solstice, are not variations on Christmas. (Well, one
could easily argue that Christmas is a variation on the Solstice, but
I digress...) They may be important holidays in their own right, but
they're not a major holiday in those other religions the way Xmas is
in Christianity.

So as far as I'm concerned, when someone wishes me "happy holidays",
they're really wishing me a Merry Christmas - so why not just do that?
I don't celebrate Christmas, but I don't get offended if someone wishes
me a good one. It's certainly better than that bland "holiday" stuff.

(Tangent to the tangent: I'd much rather listen to traditional carols,
which are beautiful, than to insipid modern Christmas pop music. But
you never hear carols anymore because they mention the J-word. Instead,
you have to hear about bells jingling and rocking, white Christmas
dreams and mommy kissing Santa Claus, ad nauseum. One more chestnut roasted
on an open fire and I'm gonna barf! )

Joyce - who really doesn't need to be worked up about this in August!

--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand
binary and those who don't.
Old August 25th 09, 01:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^..^=[_2_]

"Victor Martinez"
Christina Websell wrote:
Not "holiday cards" what's that supposed to mean?

It means that not everybody in the group is a christian or celebrates
x-mas.

Thank you Victor, I was going to say the same thing.
I'm a Christian but I don't get offended if someone wishes me 'Happy
Holidays'
Kyla

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old August 25th 09, 03:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Victor Martinez wrote:
Christina Websell wrote:
Not "holiday cards" what's that supposed to mean?

It means that not everybody in the group is a christian or celebrates
x-mas.

It may also cause some confusion that what is called holidays in the UK
is called vacation in the US.

--
Marina, Miranda and Caliban.
In loving memory of Frank and Nikki.
Old August 25th 09, 08:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

ictor Martinez wrote:
Christina Websell wrote:
Not "holiday cards" what's that supposed to mean?

It means that not everybody in the group is a christian or celebrates
x-mas.

Yes, I realised that already.
But the fact remains that if you send out cards in December they are
Christmas cards, whether or not you celebrate Christmas, that's what they
are.

Tweed

Old August 25th 09, 09:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

Christina Websell wrote:
ictor Martinez wrote:
Christina Websell wrote:
Not "holiday cards" what's that supposed to mean?

It means that not everybody in the group is a christian or celebrates
x-mas.

Yes, I realised that already.
But the fact remains that if you send out cards in December they are
Christmas cards, whether or not you celebrate Christmas, that's what
they are.

Tweed

Absolute nonsense, if you don't believe in the existance of Christ how can
they be Christmas cards?
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old August 25th 09, 09:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Victor Martinez

Adrian wrote:
Absolute nonsense, if you don't believe in the existance of Christ how can
they be Christmas cards?

Agreed. I really don't get people who insist on shoving their beliefs
down other people's throats.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he