Holiday Cards (Felinitations)

Old August 28th 09, 07:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default Holiday Cards (Felinitations)

MLB wrote:

Jofirey wrote:

"MLB" wrote in message

I read someplace that intense dislike of a food indicated an allergic
reaction. Has ANYONE ELSE EVER HEARD ABOUT THAT? mlb

No, I have heard the equally odd, 'you will crave the foods that you are
allergic to'

I have heard that also. MLB

Me, too. Didn't make any more sense to me than it does to you.

Joyce
--
Cats are rather delicate creatures and they are subject to a good
many ailments, but I never heard of one who suffered from insomnia.
Old August 28th 09, 09:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin - bogus address

I read someplace that intense dislike of a food indicated an
allergic reaction. Has ANYONE ELSE EVER HEARD ABOUT THAT?

No, I have heard the equally odd, 'you will crave the foods that
you are allergic to'

Both of those are sometimes true (cravings for wheat and dairy
products often suggest an intolerance). More often you have no
preference either way.

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === http://www.campin.me.uk ====
****** I killfile Google posts - email me if you want to be whitelisted ******
Old August 28th 09, 09:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Christina Websell" wrote in message
Adrian wrote:
Christina Websell wrote:
ictor Martinez wrote:
Christina Websell wrote:
Not "holiday cards" what's that supposed to mean?

It means that not everybody in the group is a christian or
celebrates x-mas.

Yes, I realised that already.
But the fact remains that if you send out cards in December they are
Christmas cards, whether or not you celebrate Christmas, that's what
they are.

Absolute nonsense, if you don't believe in the existance of Christ
how can they be Christmas cards?

So why send cards out at that time ? Ignore it then.
Also, please do not say that my views are "absolute nonsense." You can
disagree with me, that's fine, I have no problem with that but to say what
I think is "absolute nonsense" I find quite insulting.
I have been trained in political correctness ad nauseum through my job.
I refuse to give up Christmas or referring to it like it was a bad word.

Tweed

You've obviously never been told at work the term is "holiday party". To
call it anything else is politically incorrect.

Jill

Old August 28th 09, 09:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin - bogus address

The American Halloween is very closely based on the Scottish
one, as it was in the 18th and 19th centuries, except you guys
discovered that pumpkins were a helluva lot easier to carve
than turnips (= rutabagas in American). Any explicit pagan
content had long been lost before the British colonized North
America.

Turnips here are turnips there.
Rutabagas here are swedes there.
They look about the same.

I guess you mean the US by "here" and England by "there".

Nobody in Scotland says "swede". Scottish turnips (i.e. your
rutabagas) are yellow; what the English and the Americans call
a turnip is white.

Turnip (what we czll a turnip, or more often "neep" for short)
is one of the usual accompaniments to haggis.

Old August 28th 09, 11:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_5_]

Christina Websell wrote:
"Victor Martinez" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:
So why send cards out at that time ? Ignore it then.

There you go again, telling people what to do. Who do you think you are?

I'll tell you who I am. I am a white British person whose culture is
disappearing in my home town and it concerns me.
Tweed

Well...I don't know you or your hometown, but the culture I grew up with
is disappearing, just through the passage of time. That's a natural
process. Christmas celebrations, for example, have changed a lot just in
my lifetime, among people of exactly the same ethnicity as I am, and the
further back I go historically, the more changes I can find.

And that's because as younger generations come along, they keep some
things and leave others behind, resulting in a changed culture that I,
for one, often don't like the result. So I keep what I want and try to
be polite about the rest. If my friends and relatives and neighbours
want to call it 'winter holidays' and celebrate a secular shopping
extravaganza with Santa as a centrepiece, that's their choice.

I don't like people telling me what I can and can't call holidays, but I
can accept Happy Holiday greetings as I extend my Merry Christmas ones.

I do sometimes think that maybe some people have lost more than they've
gained through these cultural changes when I see people who seem
overstressed and anxious and frantic through the whole season, but some
of them probably think my quiet holiday means that I'm missing out on
all the fun, so the two reactions probably balance each other out.

--
Cheryl
Old August 28th 09, 11:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_5_]

hopitus wrote:

Turnips are very good for you.
Kids hate turnips.
Two USA facts of life.
I found out, once a grownup, that somethng similar that *looks* like
little turnips, *is* tasty...parsnips.

Even as a child, I loved our 'turnips', which were really
swedes/rutabagas - the big yellow-fleshed ones. We ate them often,
boiled and mashed with salt, pepper and butter.

When I eventually came across real turnips, the white ones, I found them
a bit bland. I don't like parsnip all that much, although my sister
roasts them, and they're better that way. Anything she cooks is good,
anyway.

--
Cheryl
Old August 28th 09, 11:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_5_]

Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:
The American Halloween is very closely based on the Scottish
one, as it was in the 18th and 19th centuries, except you guys
discovered that pumpkins were a helluva lot easier to carve
than turnips (= rutabagas in American). Any explicit pagan
content had long been lost before the British colonized North
America.

Turnips here are turnips there.
Rutabagas here are swedes there.
They look about the same.

I guess you mean the US by "here" and England by "there".

Nobody in Scotland says "swede". Scottish turnips (i.e. your
rutabagas) are yellow; what the English and the Americans call
a turnip is white.

Turnip (what we call a turnip, or more often "neep" for short)
is one of the usual accompaniments to haggis.

In Newfoundland, we always call the big yellow ones 'turnips'. I was an
adult before I realized that not everyone did! I wonder why we had that
term? Most Newfoundlanders' ancestors came from the West Country of
England or southeastern Ireland, neither of which is very close to
Scotland. Maybe the Scots who immigrated to Nova Scotia had an influence.

--
Cheryl
Old August 28th 09, 01:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Wayne Mitchell

hopitus wrote:

One of the oddest I recall was the ability to skillfully and
ladylike
deal with a lobster (huge Maine, not the cheap FL variety) dinner,
where
you select your prey from the tank and without spilling a drop of
butter,
consume the seafood from its carcass in small, neat morsels.

Yeah, well...that's Maryland for ya. Here in Maine, it is a crime,
punishable by banishment, to show disrespect for the lobster by failing
to cover all parts of the face and hands with the holy juices. One is
also expected to drip butter generously along the path as one conveys
each morsel to the mouth, and to allow it to run freely down the chin.

(When celebrating among the ultra-orthodox, one may also be sent to
Coventry for failing to open up the cephalothorax and winkle out all the
hard-to-get stuff which is edible but not really worth the effort.)
--

Wayne M.
Old August 28th 09, 01:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Wayne Mitchell

Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:

Nobody in Scotland says "swede". Scottish turnips (i.e. your
rutabagas) are yellow; what the English and the Americans call
a turnip is white.

You have to allow for the size and plurality of the States. Growing up
in Maine, I never saw a white turnip or knew such existed. All turnips
were yellow and no other term was ever used for them. I never heard the
term "swede", and "rutabaga" was something I heard of in folk songs but
didn't relate to anything I knew.
--

Wayne M.