Flat Nosed Cats

Old November 1st 03, 05:20 PM
Gigi

Default Flat Nosed Cats

Instead of lambasting the flat nosed cats why not come up with some constructive
ideas to help the owners of these cats? We have a Persian with a somewhat flat
face and we purchased him as a kitten. We wanted a Persian because they are
noted for their docile and loving nature, their ability to adjust to indoor
living and of course, their beauty. Yes, we would have been happier if he
hadn't developed quite such a flat face but we adore him and have figured out
ways to help him eat comfortably. My husband built a platform that is raised
off of the floor about 2 inches. This helps Archie to eat without having to
stick his whole face into his food and water bowls. Also, we feed him his wet
food on a flat saucer. Archie is very intelligent (another trait of Persians)
and can sit up on command, walks on a leash, travels well in our motorhome and
has generally added greatly to our lives. We searched the various pet rescue
centers, humane societies, etc. but just couldn't find a likely candidate for
our mobile life style. In our younger days we rescued many cats. All of them
had some trait that made them less than enjoyable. This time we purchased a cat
and are very satisfied with the results.
Gigi

Old November 1st 03, 07:36 PM
Mary

"Gigi" itchyfeet(no wrote in message
k.net...
Instead of lambasting the flat nosed cats why not come up with some

constructive
ideas to help the owners of these cats? We have a Persian with a

somewhat flat
face and we purchased him as a kitten.

I do feel sorry for the cats, but I am inclined to let those of you
who have
actively supported the breeding in of this deformed face by ACTUALLY
PAYING THE BREEDERS for them to solve your problems yourselves.

If there was no demand for these pitiful creatures there might be less
of them
bred.

Old November 2nd 03, 11:17 PM
PawsForThought

From: "Gigi"

Instead of lambasting the flat nosed cats why not come up with some
constructive
ideas to help the owners of these cats?

We weren't lambasting the flat nosed cats, but rather the practice of breeding
them.

We have a Persian with a somewhat flat
face and we purchased him as a kitten. We wanted a Persian because they are
noted for their docile and loving nature, their ability to adjust to indoor
living and of course, their beauty.

My cats having very loving natures and are beautiful, and I didn't have to buy
them. I'd rather give a good loving home to cats from a shelter. But that's
just me I guess.

Yes, we would have been happier if he
hadn't developed quite such a flat face but we adore him and have figured out
ways to help him eat comfortably. My husband built a platform that is raised
off of the floor about 2 inches. This helps Archie to eat without having to
stick his whole face into his food and water bowls. Also, we feed him his
wet
food on a flat saucer.

I'm glad you've figured out a way for your cat to eat comfortably. But I feel
it's sad that a cat has been bred where it's necessary to do this.

Archie is very intelligent (another trait of Persians)

I'm sure Archie is very intelligent. My cats are very intelligent too shrugs

We searched the various pet rescue
centers, humane societies, etc. but just couldn't find a likely candidate for
our mobile life style. In our younger days we rescued many cats. All of
them
had some trait that made them less than enjoyable. This time we purchased a
cat
and are very satisfied with the results.
Gigi

I'm glad you're satisfied with your purchased results. Personally, I'm very
satisfied with my rescued kitties

Lauren
________
Old November 2nd 03, 11:17 PM
PawsForThought

Old November 3rd 03, 02:51 PM
kaeli

In article t, "Gigi"
itchyfeet(no enlightened us with...
Instead of lambasting the flat nosed cats why not come up with some constructive
ideas to help the owners of these cats?

We have.

We have also given the advice to STOP BUYING THEM so people stop
breeding the poor things. Or at least contact the breeders and request a
classic. The more people who do that, the more the breeders will get the
point. Until people want the classics, the breeders will keep breeding
the deformities they call cats.

You want a persian? Adopt one. There are many rescues out there, many of
which are breed-specific.

Until people stop buying them, they won't stop breeding them.
And Persians certainly aren't the only playful, intelligent cats there
are. I have one dumb cat, but the other two are pretty smart. *g*

~kaeli~
Jesus saves, Allah protects, and Cthulhu
thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

Old November 3rd 03, 03:18 PM
Sherry

We have.

We have also given the advice to STOP BUYING THEM so people stop
breeding the poor things. Or at least contact the breeders and request a
classic. The more people who do that, the more the breeders will get the
point. Until people want the classics, the breeders will keep breeding
the deformities they call cats.

You want a persian? Adopt one. There are many rescues out there, many of
which are breed-specific.

Until people stop buying them, they won't stop breeding them.
And Persians certainly aren't the only playful, intelligent cats there
are. I have one dumb cat, but the other two are pretty smart. *g*

Good post, kaeli. I didn't like the line the OP wrote about shelter cats having
problems, and finally getting a cat she liked by buying one. Maybe this is true
for her, but I *guarantee* the people who buy cats at mall pet stores and such
are taking as big a risk getting a cat that's been raised under horrid
conditions as street cat or relinquished cats that land in shelters. start
kitten/puppy mill rant...there's a puppy mill here who takes *just* good
enough care of their dogs to stay within legal limits. They "liquidated"
Saturday--sellling 250 breeding stock at auction. It was awful but licensed and
legal and not a damn thing we could do about it. They used to ship the puppies
across the country as soon as they were 8 weeks to wholesalers. Imagine. 250
dogs living their *entire lives* in a small cage. Don't buy from a pet store,
anyone, ever. Please. puppy mill rant over

Sherry