Ping - Victor

Old May 6th 09, 08:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

Default Ping - Victor

I flew to LA yesterday to visit 'the cousins'.

We all went to lunch at a small local Mexican restaurant. They were
very busy and the food was quite good. But they served something I've
never seen before. It may be authentic, but I suspect it was their
own invention for when tomato prices are high. In addition to the
usual baskets of chips and dishes of salsa they served a kind of
'salsa slaw' It was hot and spicy like salsa, with peppers, but the
rest of it was shredded cabbage and grated carrots. Very likely
packaged cole slaw mix.

It was great on chips and would be good on anything with fish.

Just wondering if it was something authentic, or if it was like the
local salsa with the celery in it.

Jo

Old May 6th 09, 08:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

"Jofirey" wrote in message
I flew to LA yesterday to visit 'the cousins'.

We all went to lunch at a small local Mexican restaurant. They were very
busy and the food was quite good. But they served something I've never
seen before. It may be authentic, but I suspect it was their own
invention for when tomato prices are high. In addition to the usual
baskets of chips and dishes of salsa they served a kind of 'salsa slaw'
It was hot and spicy like salsa, with peppers, but the rest of it was
shredded cabbage and grated carrots. Very likely packaged cole slaw mix.

It was great on chips and would be good on anything with fish.

Just wondering if it was something authentic, or if it was like the local
salsa with the celery in it.

Jo

it is a take off from the way they make Tacos de pescado aka fish tacos.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taco

Old May 6th 09, 10:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Victor Martinez

Jofirey wrote:
usual baskets of chips and dishes of salsa they served a kind of
'salsa slaw' It was hot and spicy like salsa, with peppers, but the
rest of it was shredded cabbage and grated carrots. Very likely
packaged cole slaw mix.

While shredded cabbage is a common topping for a few dishes (pozole,
tostadas, enchiladas in some places), I've never seen it served like a
salsa in Mexico. Come to think of it, I've never seen anything like it
before.
I make an asian-style slaw that is spicy and it goes great with pretty
much anything.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old May 7th 09, 09:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
wafflycat[_2_]

"Victor Martinez" wrote in message
Jofirey wrote:
usual baskets of chips and dishes of salsa they served a kind of 'salsa
slaw' It was hot and spicy like salsa, with peppers, but the rest of it
was shredded cabbage and grated carrots. Very likely packaged cole slaw
mix.

While shredded cabbage is a common topping for a few dishes (pozole,
tostadas, enchiladas in some places), I've never seen it served like a
salsa in Mexico. Come to think of it, I've never seen anything like it
before.
I make an asian-style slaw that is spicy and it goes great with pretty
much anything.

And if I may, Victor... I'd like to pick your brain for an authentic Mexican
recipe or two for the chilli plants I am growing in my greenhouse. Something
suitable for family cooking?

I have growing for a bit of heat:-

Cayenne

http://www.mr-fothergills.co.uk/cata...product/344-1/

Razzamatazz

http://www.mr-fothergills.co.uk/cata...roduct/1387-1/

Apache

http://www.suttons.co.uk/Shop/Vegeta...eds+159883.htm

For a bit of colour & sweetness:-

Californian Wonder

http://www.mr-fothergills.co.uk/cata...product/214-1/

Minimix

http://www.mr-fothergills.co.uk/cata...roduct/1408-1/

Over here they pretty much have to be grown in a greenhouse, warm, sunny
windowsill, outside only if hot & sunny.

So far, with my beginner's effort, the Apache are coming away nicely -
plants nearly a foot tall, and some buds showing
Cayenne - not as far on, about six inches tall
Same for the Californian Wonder
The others still at seedling stage.

I'm actually quite chuffed as I've got them to grow from seed without having
a propogator or heating. Just had them in homemade paper pots filled with
compost on a windowsill.

Old May 7th 09, 01:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Victor Martinez

Chris H wrote:
Sounds like a variant of "curtido", which is usually associated
with pupusas (Salvadoran), and can be made with or without hot peppers.

Absolutely! I love pupusas...

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old May 7th 09, 01:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Victor Martinez

wafflycat wrote:
And if I may, Victor... I'd like to pick your brain for an authentic
Mexican recipe or two for the chilli plants I am growing in my
greenhouse. Something suitable for family cooking?

I have growing for a bit of heat:-

For the hot peppers I like a nice roasted tomato salsa. You can char the
veggies on a dry skillet or under the broiler, whatever works for you. I
use one white onion, cut in half, 4-5 tomatoes, depending on the size, a
few cloves of garlic, unpeeled, and as many peppers as you want. Char
them until nice and toasty, then process them in the blender or food
processor. I like to leave mine a bit chunky. Season with salt and
pepper and you're done! Use it to top grilled meats.

For a bit of colour & sweetness:-

Sweet peppers are somewhat unusual in Mexico, bell peppers being the
more common and typically eaten in kabobs. I would make a nice relish
type salsa that would go great with fish. Start by chopping some purple
onion and setting it aside with the juice of 2 limes in a non-reactive
bowl. Then chop some nice tomatoes of different colors, the peppers, a
sweet fruit like mango and some cilantro. Mix all the ingredients and
season with salt and pepper. Let sit in the refrigerator for a couple of
hours to let the flavors blend.

I've found that chile plants do best with as much soon as possible.
Also, they do not like cold at all.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old May 7th 09, 03:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
LadyJane

On May 6, 5:33*pm, Victor Martinez wrote:
While shredded cabbage is a common topping for a few dishes (pozole,
tostadas, enchiladas in some places), I've never seen it served like a
salsa in Mexico. Come to think of it, I've never seen anything like it
before.
I make an asian-style slaw that is spicy and it goes great with pretty
much anything.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he
Email me he

Victor, you can't mention that slaw without posting the recipe!

Pretty please?

Jane
- owned and operated by the Princess Rita
Old May 7th 09, 06:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
wafflycat[_2_]

wafflycat wrote:
[...]

Thanks, Victor. Much appreciated.

Old May 8th 09, 12:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Chris H[_2_]

Victor Martinez wrote:
Chris H wrote:
Sounds like a variant of "curtido", which is usually associated
with pupusas (Salvadoran), and can be made with or without hot peppers.

Absolutely! I love pupusas...

One of my co-workers is Salvadoran, and has located every restaurant
within a few miles that serves pupusas. It's become a payday lunch
tradition...

We love 'em too!
Old May 8th 09, 02:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Victor Martinez

LadyJane wrote:
Victor, you can't mention that slaw without posting the recipe!

As is typical of me, these aren't exact quantities, adjust to match your
taste.

1 piece of fresh ginger, about 1" or so, peeled and grated
2 garlic cloves, grated
1 stalk of fresh lemongrass, the bulb very finely minced. If you can't
find this, substitute the peel of 1 lime
about 1/4 cup lime juice
about 1/4 cup soy sauce
about 1/4 cup ponzu
1 tbsp sesame oil
1/4 cup neutral oil, like canola or peanut
a couple of tablespoons of honey, to taste
salt and pepper, to taste

Mix all the ingredients of the marinade and pour over shredded cabbage.
Let sit for a couple of hours in the refrigerator before serving.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

PING VICTOR jmcquown[_2_] Cat anecdotes 14 October 29th 08 04:21 AM
Ping: Victor Ann Cat anecdotes 0 April 2nd 08 05:22 PM
Ping Victor bonbon Cat anecdotes 4 July 30th 07 08:21 PM
Ping Victor gracecat Cat anecdotes 0 October 9th 06 03:16 AM
PING - Victor wafflycat Cat anecdotes 3 February 16th 05 08:27 PM