I'd Appreciate Some Advice

Old March 15th 06, 05:16 PM
wmdiscenza wmdiscenza is offline
Junior Member

Default I'd Appreciate Some Advice

I have had a male cat, ELLIOTT, for nearly 2 years; he will be 3 years old this fall. I work days and Elliott is home alone all day, M-F; he is an indoor cat with all his claws intact. He is a well adjusted cat and is affectionate; he does not scratch furniture, carpet and so forth. Lately he seems to follow me around and want a lot of attention, especially in the mornings before I go to work. He likes to be petted and when I do he sometimes bites and then licks me, purring all the while. I do not think he is mad because he is purring loudly. When I walk away he chases and grabs my leg, he then lets go and runs away into his cat tunnel. I have never disciplined the cat, which is probably part of the problem. Anyhow some friends have encouraged, others have discouraged, me to get Elliott a friend. Those encouraging suggest he needs company; those discouraging say he'd miss being number one and have behavior problems. Perhaps I need to spend more time with Elliott playing. I'd appreciate any advise or thoughts. Thanks
Old March 15th 06, 10:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc

[...]

Sounds like Elliott loves to play and could use a little friend to run around
with. You could get a young cat (perhaps 6 months to a year old - any
younger than that might be too energetic - tiny kittens take so long to tire
out!) who has a lot of energy for Elliott to romp around the house with.
Just show him he's still number one if you get another - give him more
attention than the other at first. If he has someone to play with, it'll
also keep him in better shape due to the extra exercise.

--
wmdiscenza

Old March 15th 06, 10:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc

On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 16:16:40 +0000, wmdiscenza
wrote:

[...]

I've never had any problem introducing kittens up to about nine months
or so old to my clowder, or in the past when I had only one or two
cats. Adults, especially not yet neutered males, are another story
entirely ... a sometimes violent story.

I do find that beyond two or three, the amount of space per cat
becomes important: there seem to be problems with less than about 100
square feet (9 square meters) per cat. In bad weather mine have less
than that and things get tense - in good weather when they go out,
they have essentially infinite reasonably safe space.

--
T.E.D. )
Old March 15th 06, 10:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc

In article 5d4eed99d7c41@uwe, "Kelcey via CatKB.com" u18214@uwe
wrote:

[...]

This is excellent advice, IMO. He needs a playmate/tusslemate.

Priscilla
Old March 29th 06, 05:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc

Take Elliott to the vet first. There may be something else causing the
change in behaviors. If all is well, then get another cat for him to
play with.

It may be separation anxiety, but there may also be something else.
Have you had someone come in while you were out lately? Cable person,
utilities, landlord? That may be part of it, as well. He may be
saying that he doesn't feel as safe with you gone.

Check out these other ideas before you take on another cat, which could
make the situation worse.

Morgen