Help desperately needed

Old December 12th 04, 08:28 PM
Lois Reay

Default Help desperately needed

This morning I received a phone call from a woman who is desperately in need
of help, I did what I could do to try and solve her problem and then said I
would go to my ng to see if I could get further advice - I just know that
someone will have the answer.

Here is the problem the woman has a 3 year old Siamese cat which is going
over the back fence and upsetting an 18 year old cat, the owners of the 18
year old are understandably getting very annoyed, I don't think that the 3yr
old is actually beating up the old cat but is terrorising it to such an
extent that it has started soiling inside the house.

I did point out to the lady that the soiling could have something to do with
the cats age and could have a medical condition - but I also think that the
old cat should be able to live out the rest of it's life in peace.

This lady wants any tips on how to keep her cat on her side of the fence - I
did suggest leaving the hose sprinkler on (the 3yr old doesn't like water)
Keeping the 3yr old confined to the house during the day is not am option
(she is locked in at night)

Thanks in advance.

Lois

--
http://zeotropeburmese.kiwiwebhost.net.nz

Old December 12th 04, 08:34 PM
Zorin the Lynx

Can the cat simply be kept inside the house? Letting cats roam
unsupervised outside is dangerous to their well-being anyway, regardless
of the neighbors.

Cats can live a perfectly happy life indoors; mine does, and so do those
of many people here!

-Z

Old December 12th 04, 08:46 PM
Sherry

Thanks in advance.

Lois

I don't know, Lois, unless she can afford that cat-proof fencing. There's a
website for it I used to have the link but can't find it. It's going to be
hard, especially since the young cat is making a habit out of annoying the
older one. Anyway, good luck to your friend.
Sherry
Old December 12th 04, 09:27 PM
CatNipped

"Lois Reay" wrote in message
news
[...]

I don't see why the cat can't be kept inside - all four of mine do and are
perfectly happy, and Victor has *SEVEN* that all stay inside happily. As
long as they have enough toys, scratching posts, and litter boxes, there's
really no reason for them to be outside with all the dangers they encounter
(not to mention the dangers they sometimes cause as is the case here).

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old December 12th 04, 09:43 PM
Jo Firey

"Lois Reay" wrote in message
news
[...]

That is a tough one. We had a Siamese that got into fights with the
neighbor cats. Fortunately we all took full responsibility for our cats
being out and for cats being cats. We all paid our own vet bill for the
abscesses. And didn't much worry about it.

First, they need to check with their own vets to make sure this is safe.

The way I've kept unwelcome dogs out of my yard. (The big ones that seem to
want to take a dump here daily and no where else and the little one that
kept coming into the garage and peeing on the car tires) is to load a squirt
gun with mostly water and a little ammonia. I avoid their eyes. They don't
come back. Desperate times sometimes call for desperate measures.

Jo

Jo

Old December 12th 04, 09:44 PM
Jeanne Hedge

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 20:27:02 GMT, "CatNipped"
wrote:

I don't see why the cat can't be kept inside - all four of mine do and are
perfectly happy, and Victor has *SEVEN* that all stay inside happily. As

Natasha is *17* and stays inside happily, 24/7/365

long as they have enough toys, scratching posts, and litter boxes, there's
really no reason for them to be outside with all the dangers they encounter
(not to mention the dangers they sometimes cause as is the case here).

Not to mention the dangers they get themselves into as well (hello
Clyde....)

Jeanne Hedge, as directed by Natasha

============
http://www.jhedge.com
Old December 12th 04, 10:35 PM
Yowie

"CatNipped" wrote in message
"Lois Reay" wrote in message
news
[...]

Its a cultural thing - in the USA there are predators that will eat a cat,
plus large, wide roads with fast cars and "weird" neighbours. Culturally,
cats are considered indoor pets.

In Commonwealth countries (England, New Zealand and Australia), cats are
generally considered indoor/ourdoor pets, there are no predators, and most
of our streets tend to be suburbanised. The outside cat can live a good and
failry safe life in those places.

And once a cat starts to consider the outside as part of his or territory
(particularly if its a boy cat) then the cat will do all it can to patrol
and protect that territory, whether the owner wants it to stay inside or
not. Yes, you can get a formerly outside cat used to being indoors only, but
that depends on the cat, and the amount of time and patience the owner has.
Even Shmogg, whose only outdoor experience has been his mad escape attempts,
still sits and howls at the door, begging to go out. Making a cat that has
outside territory into an inside only cat is can be exceptionally hard ask,
and I can imagine that with a Siamese, it would be just about impossible.

The best I can suggest is a water squirt gun with a dash of vinegar added to
the water, installing a smooth, inward sloping, high fence, and trying to
negotiate with the neighbour a schedule of "safe" outside times for both the
young and the old cat.

Yowie

---

Old December 12th 04, 11:27 PM
Lois Reay

"CatNipped" wrote in message
..

I don't see why the cat can't be kept inside - all four of mine do and are
perfectly happy, and Victor has *SEVEN* that all stay inside happily. As
long as they have enough toys, scratching posts, and litter boxes, there's
really no reason for them to be outside with all the dangers they

encounter
(not to mention the dangers they sometimes cause as is the case here).

Hugs,

CatNipped

Thanks for the replies so far.
Keeping the young cat inside is not an option for this lady, the cat is used
to being outdoors during the day.
I do agree that keeping the Siamese inside would probably solve one problem
but create another, in that she is used to being outdoors.
My own cats are not free to roam outside and I am always happy when people
who buy my kitties want them to be inside cats. But I do recognise that
there are some who love their cats to be free to get out in the yard (it's a
pity that they want to go further) The slaves of outdoor kitties do have to
realizes that accidents and misfortunes can happen, which is often very
traumatic for all concerned, as we all know just by reading about the lost
and missing cats on this group.

Lois

Old December 12th 04, 11:34 PM
Stormin Mormon

Wonder if the two cats need to get to know each other a bit better? Can you
arrange a cats and hoomans social som etime? Mind, I've never had the
problem, and I'm quite clueless.

It's either that or ankle weights for the Siamese.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

news This morning I received a phone call from a woman who is desperately in need