Shadow & IBD

Old February 4th 04, 03:45 PM
Betsy

Default Shadow & IBD

This is mainly to Cheryl, as she has become the "expert" on IBD, but I
welcome any and all advice!

Hi, Cheryl. I have a cat that I suspect has IBD.

He has been losing weight. He lost all his fat and when I pet him he feels
bony to me.

He passes a lot of gas and has smelly loose, yellowish stools, but no blood
or pus. He eats like a pig and hovers over the water bowl.

I've been to the vet several times. He's had tests for thyroid, and a full
blood panel. Diabetes was ruled out. The blood panel showed elevated white
blood cells. When I quizzed the first vet, she said this meant an infection
and put him on clavamox, which did nothing. She said the next step was a
bone marrow test!!!!!

She also indicated that the particular kind of white blood cell (which kind
I forget) contraindicated lymphoma. As I had a cat with lymphoma, I would
concur with this. He doesn't exhibit the same kind of symptoms as she had
at all.

She also did a FIV/FLV test, which I could have predicted would come back
negative as this was done when he was a kitten and he's been vaccinated
since then. I was pretty POd to have to spend money on this, but she had me
scared.

Anyway, when I went back to the regular vet, he said that his white blood
cell count wasn't all that high, and it could get elevated just because of
the stress of going to the vet!

I am quite maxed out financially this year because of pet crises (multiple
surgeries and hospitalizations for other pets to the tune of several $K) and
haven't followed through with Willie, although I am quite concerned.

His behavior is totally normal, other than what I've described. His coat is
good, and he is hydrated.

SO--I suspect that he "simply" has an irritable bowel. If so, how do I
tell? How do I convince the vet there is something wrong--he has been
looking at me cross-eyed over this! He recently gave me a pill for Willie's
tummy, but that didn't solve the problem at all. I've forgotten what it
was, but know it is a temporary fix, kind of like an antacid (but not that).

I don't want my kitty to get any thinner! Help!

Old February 4th 04, 04:11 PM
Karen

Betsy's post made me want to ask this question. I have a question because
she mentions gas. Everytime Pearl has been to the vets, she mentions that
Pearl is gassy. She asks if stool is ok, and usually it is. For a little
while there last year, she seemed to have diarrhea but everytime I see her
go, it is well formed. *I* cannot tell she has gas. She eats almost
completely premium wet catfood. What other reasons might a cat have gas? I'm
wondering if this adds to her somewhat cranky nature (it would make ME
cranky). Any ideas? The vet has even x-rayed her but seen no real
abnormalities (though that is when we found the cause of her leg problems-
arthritis).

Karen

Old February 4th 04, 04:53 PM
Betsy

Thanks for the replies.

He did not say anything about the bowels. How is this determined? Just a
physical exam, or x-ray, or both?

What I've done is switched to the highest quality food I can find. I am
avoiding all mystery meats and preservatives, and have recently found a
source for Wellness and Innova, and am feeding that, in addition to Chicken
Soup dry.

It's possible that the dietary switch in and of itself is bothering him, as
I have another really fat cat who has developed a flatulence problem!

Also, I was using Swheat Scoop, and switched back to regular clumping on the
off chance he was allergic to wheat (and I have another cat with skin
problems and wanted to see if the wheat was the problem there, as well).
I'm sure some of the wheat is still in the environment.

What caused you to suspect your cat was sick? I.E., what were his symptoms
when diagnosed with lymphoma?

"Laura R." wrote in message
.. .
circa Wed, 4 Feb 2004 10:45:49 -0500, in rec.pets.cats.health+behav,
Betsy -0) said,
[...]

P.S. Have you switched the cat to a food with a different (read:
unusual) protein source, such as rabbit or deer to see if it affected
his symptoms at all? This was the first thing we tried with my Alex
when the vets were trying to determine whether he had lymphoma or
IBD. Unfortunately, in Alex's case, it was lymphoma, and his
bloodwork did not show any signs indicating that he had cancer. I'm
not saying that your kitty does, just that I'm wondering if your vet
tried the alternate food route to help diagnose.

Laura
--
I am Dyslexia of Borg,
Your ass will be laminated.

Old February 4th 04, 05:00 PM
PawsForThought

From: "Betsy" -0

This is mainly to Cheryl, as she has become the "expert" on IBD, but I
welcome any and all advice!

Hi Wendy,
Have you joined the Yahoo IBD list yet? They have some great information and
advice.

Best wishes for you and your kitty,

Lauren
________
Old February 4th 04, 05:00 PM
PawsForThought

Old February 4th 04, 05:01 PM
PawsForThought

From: "Betsy" -0

Ack, sorry Betsy that I referred to you in my reply as Wendy.

Lauren
________
Old February 4th 04, 05:01 PM
PawsForThought