Do cats smile?

Old March 7th 04, 02:40 PM
jmcquown

Default Do cats smile?

I sincerely think they do. When Persia is in my lap and looks at me with
those big, green eyes... tilts her head back and blinks slowly... and I
swear, she's smiling. Of course she's probably just laughing at my hair LOL

Jill

Old March 7th 04, 04:07 PM
Sherry

They certainly know how to frown!!

Karen

Oh, absolutely! Yoda has thhis "look"" when he''s very displeased, ears are
sliightly back and his brow is actually furrowed. Cats really do have facial
expressions, they're just a little more subtle than dogs..

Sherry
Old March 7th 04, 05:15 PM
RoseTower

jmcquown wrote:
I sincerely think they do. When Persia is in my lap and looks at me with
those big, green eyes... tilts her head back and blinks slowly... and I
swear, she's smiling. Of course she's probably just laughing at my hair LOL

Jill

Someone told me that slow blinks like that are cat kisses. Sometimes I
will return the blink and the purrs increase.

Eve

Old March 7th 04, 07:03 PM
Tanada

jmcquown wrote:

I sincerely think they do. When Persia is in my lap and looks at me with
those big, green eyes... tilts her head back and blinks slowly... and I
swear, she's smiling. Of course she's probably just laughing at my hair LOL

I've known my cats to smile, laugh, sneer, frown, glare, chuckle, and
show sadness. I really believe that cats have all the same emotions we
do, including embarrassment. They're just better at hiding it than we are.

Pam S.

Old March 7th 04, 10:37 PM
m. L. Briggs

On Sun, 7 Mar 2004 08:40:32 -0600, "jmcquown"
wrote:

I sincerely think they do. When Persia is in my lap and looks at me with
those big, green eyes... tilts her head back and blinks slowly... and I
swear, she's smiling. Of course she's probably just laughing at my hair LOL

Jill

Indeed they do -- doggies too. This most recent Best Friends
Magazine has a picture of a dog who is smiling. There is no
mistaking that look!
Old March 7th 04, 11:21 PM
Gwenhwyfaer de Tierveil

Quoth Tanada:

jmcquown wrote:

I sincerely think they do. When Persia is in my lap and looks at me
with those big, green eyes... tilts her head back and blinks
slowly... and I swear, she's smiling. Of course she's probably just
laughing at my hair LOL

I've known my cats to smile, laugh, sneer, frown, glare, chuckle, and
show sadness. I really believe that cats have all the same emotions
we do, including embarrassment. They're just better at hiding it than
we are.

I don't know; mine always feign disgust to conceal embarrassment, and
it's always so obvious.

All my cats have very expressive faces and body language. When I fuss
Firstborn, he gives me a gorgeous big grin! Blackie can look positively
fiendish when he's chasing a shoelace... and Calli has expressions that
I can only describe as "come hither". Even though she's neuter.
--
Gwenhwyfaer (emails need [Private] in the subject)

some girls wander by themselves
Old March 8th 04, 12:17 AM
Steve Touchstone

wrote:

I sincerely think they do. When Persia is in my lap and looks at me with
those big, green eyes... tilts her head back and blinks slowly... and I
swear, she's smiling. Of course she's probably just laughing at my hair LOL

Jill

Don't know about the smile part, but they certainly can express their
emotions with their eyes, ears, whiskers, etc ;-)
--
Steve Touchstone,

[remove Junk for email]
Home Page:
Old March 8th 04, 12:53 AM
Seanette Blaylock

"jmcquown" had some very interesting things
to say about Do cats smile?:

I sincerely think they do. When Persia is in my lap and looks at me with
those big, green eyes... tilts her head back and blinks slowly... and I
swear, she's smiling. Of course she's probably just laughing at my hair LOL

I'm sure Felix does. I've seen his little mouth curl up at the corners
when he's very content.
Old March 8th 04, 02:29 AM
Hans Schrøder

"jmcquown" wrote in message
.. .
I sincerely think they do. When Persia is in my lap and looks at me with
those big, green eyes... tilts her head back and blinks slowly... and I
swear, she's smiling. Of course she's probably just laughing at my hair

LOL

Jill

Sure they do! The expression you describe is their way to express a feeling
of happiness and peacefullness. If you return the same expression, you will
get a good response. Cats use this to communicate to other cats that they
are not aggressive or hostile.

My cats are Devon Rex cats, and they have got another expression in addition
to the cat smile: The wag their tails! Not from side to side, that means a
couple of other things, but up and down! I think this is a speciality for
the Rex breeds. If I take Teti for a "walk", grabbing his rear legs and
leads him around on the floor, he will always wag his tail and give me the
"eye smile" when I put him down.

Hans