? about Kitty Dandruff. . .

Old August 18th 05, 10:51 PM
Christi Conley

Default ? about Kitty Dandruff. . .

Hiya!
My two male cats both have dandruff pretty badly - it doesn't
seem to bother them - they don't dig at themselves and they
let me brush and pet them with no problem. I was hoping that
there was some sort of all natural ingredient I can add to their
food to help them with this dry skin.

They do drink enough water - and they only get spring water -
nothing out of the tap, ever - and I even make the ice cubes I
put in the water are made from spring water. When I asked
the vet about this a few months back he basically said it was
nothing to worry about -

So, I guess I am just hoping for a little something that can
help alleviate the dry skin that causes the dandruff.

Thanks!!!
--
Christi
Art Without Anxiety

Have Stuff to Sell? Looking for Stuff to Buy?

Old August 19th 05, 01:11 AM
MaryL

"Christi Conley" wrote in message
Hiya!
My two male cats both have dandruff pretty badly - it doesn't
seem to bother them - they don't dig at themselves and they
let me brush and pet them with no problem. I was hoping that
there was some sort of all natural ingredient I can add to their
food to help them with this dry skin.

They do drink enough water - and they only get spring water -
nothing out of the tap, ever - and I even make the ice cubes I
put in the water are made from spring water. When I asked
the vet about this a few months back he basically said it was
nothing to worry about -

So, I guess I am just hoping for a little something that can
help alleviate the dry skin that causes the dandruff.

Thanks!!!
--
Christi

What type of cat food do you use? Holly used to have a lot of dandruff, and
it was very noticeable because she is a black cat. Just as you described,
her vet was not concerned -- he said she was in excellent condition, and her
fur was well lubricated. At that time, I was feeding dry food (Iams
hairball control), but it was just about that time that I was given a lot of
information about the benefits of premium canned food. I switched to
Wellness canned (several varieties) and Felidae (since changed to a couple
of other canned foods for variety). My decision had nothing to do with
dandruff -- but I suddenly realized that Holly's dandruff had completely
disappeared. Moreover, she seldom has hairballs now, although they have not
been completely eliminated. She had always been a beautiful, healthy cat;
but her condition improved noticeably following the change to canned food
even though I had never detected any other problems before the change in
diet. I know there are some supplements you can add, but diet is certainly
one possibility to consider.

MaryL

My cats --
Duffy: http://tinyurl.com/cslwf
Holly: http://tinyurl.com/9t68o

Old August 19th 05, 10:24 PM
Christi Conley

"MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER wrote in message news:0t9Ne.2687$Ix4.1811@okepread03...
What type of cat food do you use? Holly used to have a lot of dandruff, and
it was very noticeable because she is a black cat. Just as you described,
her vet was not concerned -- he said she was in excellent condition, and her
fur was well lubricated. At that time, I was feeding dry food (Iams
hairball control), but it was just about that time that I was given a lot of
information about the benefits of premium canned food. I switched to
Wellness canned (several varieties) and Felidae (since changed to a couple
of other canned foods for variety).
MaryL

My cats --
Duffy: http://tinyurl.com/cslwf
Holly: http://tinyurl.com/9t68o

Hi Mary!
I would have never thought about the canned food! I feed my furbabies a very good
dry food, called "Life's Abundance" by HealthyPetNet - here is the link incase you,
or anyone, wants to check it out (not affiliated - just a happy customer)
http://www.healthypetnet.com/home.asp?realname=

As for wet food, I just get the regular, store bought food - May I ask where you get
the preminum canned cat food?

Thanks!
--
Christi
Art Without Anxiety

Have Stuff to Sell? Looking for Stuff to Buy?

Old August 19th 05, 11:44 PM
MaryL

[...]

Hi Christi,

Premium cat food is available at a number of pet supply stores. Unfortunately, it is not available near me, so I order it through the Internet. I buy mine from www.petfooddirect.com, and I have had excellent service. Once you register your email address with them, they frequently send good discounts. I watch for the 22 percent off (and most recently was able to get 25 percent off), but 13 percent discount is more routine. The discount basically covers my cost of shipping. You need to order immediately once you receive one of these ads because they are usually only valid for a couple of days.

MaryL

Old August 27th 05, 05:27 AM
Linda Terrell

Hi Mary!
I would have never thought about the canned food! I feed my furbabies a very
good
dry food, called "Life's Abundance" by HealthyPetNet - here is the link
incase you,
or anyone, wants to check it out (not affiliated - just a happy customer)
http://www.healthypetnet.com/home.asp?realname=

As for wet food, I just get the regular, store bought food - May I ask where
you get
the preminum canned cat food?

Thanks!

Look round and see if there are any Feed Sores near you.
They often carry premium cat food.

I started my cats on Chicken Soup for Cat Lovers Soul
and saw dandruff disappear in a couple of cats in a few weeks.

There are feed stores near me but fortunately there is also
a Pet Nutrition store in m town so I can get a variety of brands
there.

LT
Old August 27th 05, 05:41 AM
-L.

Christi Conley wrote:
[...]

Omega-3 fatty acids will help. If they have dandruff mainly along the
spine and base of the tail they may have what is called "stud tail".
(Google search and you will find a ton of info on it.) It's nasty and
hard to control, although it can be treated. Either way I would have
them groomed in a soothing oatmeal-based shampoo, and start
supplementing their diet with Omega-3's.

-L.