Brown recluse got me

Old July 17th 07, 03:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat

Default UPDATE Brown recluse got me

wrote

| Pat,
|
| That site has all the hallmarks of a scam. "Finally, after much prayer
| they discovered a combination of ingredients which they applied
| topically to the bite wound. They began seeing results immediately."
| That's not the sort of language you should find on a respectable
| medical site.
|
| It's snake-oil. It's quackery. It *screams* it. Please don't waste
| your precious time by making up home-made witches remedies. Call 911
| and get yourself treated, before your arse falls off like Pam's did
| (*waves at Pam*).
|
| And please do it now.
|
| Alphonze
| (Yes, I know I haven't posted in donkeys years, but I still read the
| group every day. As an active member of a skeptical society devoted to
| investigating traditional Chinese medicine, I am *very* familiar with
| the hallmarks of the snake-oil web site...)

Traditional Chinese medicine saved my life on more than one occasion, so I
am a bit slower to be skeptical.

As to the brown recluse site, do you think the BBB report would reflect a
problem if one existed?

What I find at
http://www.theozarks.bbb.org/bindrre...&gen=0& lid=1

"a total of 0 complaints about this company in the last 36 months"

I've had serious insect-bite issues in the past and dealt with them
herbally. In fact once because I was traveling I waited too long to start,
and ended up with a deep hole in my leg, but within a few days using a blend
of traditional Chinese herbs, the wound started healing from the inside out.
This was almost 31 years ago, and I still have the scar from it. No skin
grafts were done.

My point is I've learned from personal experience not to be so easily
frightened by this kind of problem.

I appreciate everyone's concern, but I also think it's kind of silly to call
an ambulance over a spider bite - especially when there haven't been any
life-threatening symptoms. So far all I have is a sore spot on my leg. I'll
take care of it at home for now. If it gets much worse, I'll think about
getting to a hospital, but not before making proper arrangements for the
cats' care in my absence.

Old July 17th 07, 04:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Pat wrote:
wrote

Pat,

That site has all the hallmarks of a scam. "Finally, after much
prayer they discovered a combination of ingredients which they
applied topically to the bite wound. They began seeing results
immediately." That's not the sort of language you should find on a
respectable medical site.

It's snake-oil. It's quackery. It *screams* it. Please don't waste
your precious time by making up home-made witches remedies. Call 911
and get yourself treated, before your arse falls off like Pam's did
(*waves at Pam*).

And please do it now.

Traditional Chinese medicine saved my life on more than one occasion,
so I am a bit slower to be skeptical.

Pat, you'd better take a look at the photo I posted. You'd better look at
Pam's post about what she went through. You'd better stop being a fool
about this. It's been one day. Look at the photo I posted at day 10.
Wanna look like that?

Jill

Old July 17th 07, 04:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"Pat" wrote in message
et...

wrote

| Pat,
|
| That site has all the hallmarks of a scam. "Finally, after much prayer
| they discovered a combination of ingredients which they applied
| topically to the bite wound. They began seeing results immediately."
| That's not the sort of language you should find on a respectable
| medical site.
|
| It's snake-oil. It's quackery. It *screams* it. Please don't waste
| your precious time by making up home-made witches remedies. Call 911
| and get yourself treated, before your arse falls off like Pam's did
| (*waves at Pam*).
|
| And please do it now.
|
| Alphonze
| (Yes, I know I haven't posted in donkeys years, but I still read the
| group every day. As an active member of a skeptical society devoted to
| investigating traditional Chinese medicine, I am *very* familiar with
| the hallmarks of the snake-oil web site...)

Traditional Chinese medicine saved my life on more than one occasion, so I
am a bit slower to be skeptical.

As to the brown recluse site, do you think the BBB report would reflect a
problem if one existed?

What I find at
http://www.theozarks.bbb.org/bindrre...&gen=0& lid=1

"a total of 0 complaints about this company in the last 36 months"

I've had serious insect-bite issues in the past and dealt with them
herbally. In fact once because I was traveling I waited too long to start,
and ended up with a deep hole in my leg, but within a few days using a
blend
of traditional Chinese herbs, the wound started healing from the inside
out.
This was almost 31 years ago, and I still have the scar from it. No skin
grafts were done.

My point is I've learned from personal experience not to be so easily
frightened by this kind of problem.

I appreciate everyone's concern, but I also think it's kind of silly to
call
an ambulance over a spider bite - especially when there haven't been any
life-threatening symptoms. So far all I have is a sore spot on my leg.
I'll
take care of it at home for now. If it gets much worse, I'll think about
getting to a hospital, but not before making proper arrangements for the
cats' care in my absence.

Pat, I try to be patient because I know this is just who you are, but you
continually frustrate me. You've brought problems to this group dozens of
times (no complaint with that, I, and lots of others, do the same - and I
hope you'll continue to confide in us). However, I have never, ever, ever
seen you just accept the advice given without arguing back about why it
can't or won't work for you. I truly don't understand what you want from
us, or why you post these problems asking for help if you're not willing to
at least listen to words of experience from others. What's frustrating is
that we really want to help you, but our help is continually rejected. If
all you want is a sympathetic ear, then that's OK too, just say so rather
than asking for help you don't really want.

I'm sorry, I hope you don't take offense at this post, it was not meant to
be mean, I'm just frustrated by (as it seems here) a friend ignoring very
sound advice at the risk of her health and safety! I'm going to send mega
purrs that this was not a brown recluse and that the wound does not become
necrotic, and hope that if it does you'll get medical help before it's too
late.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old July 17th 07, 04:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew

"jmcquown" wrote in message
Pat wrote:
[...]

Pat to add to what Jill is saying
http://www.snopes.com/photos/bugs/brownrecluse.asp

Old July 17th 07, 05:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

CatNipped wrote:
"Pat" wrote in message
[...]

EXACTLY, Lori. I know I'm guilty of the same thing from time to time but
not about something as serious as a possible threat to my health. I'm
losing all patience (and sympathy) here.

Old July 17th 07, 05:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Default BBB (Was UPDATE Brown recluse got me)

Pat wrote:
[...]

NO. I know of very few people who ever report anything to the Better
Business Bureau (BBB) because they don't do a damn thing about what IS
reported. They just file a report, send you a letter saying they couldn't
resolve the matter or couldn't locate the business/person you reported and
that's the end of it. (I know this from personal experience and that of a
few friends.) The BBB has a a nice plaque or icon for a business to hang on
their wall/website, but that's about it. Oh, and said business pays to be a
member of the BBB so whose interests do you really think they serve?!

Jill

Old July 17th 07, 05:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew

"jmcquown" wrote in message
Pat wrote:
[...]

I agree with the statement about BBB. Here in Orlando, Florida with my
business the BBB contacted me with the statement we have been trying to
reach you; which was a lie. When I told them I was not interested they told
me that they would put me in bad standings since I did not want to file with
them. Here the BBB was a private organization I ended up filing a lawsuit
against them and won thru arbitration. They since have been taken over by
someone else and they even say they have no power to resolve problems only
list the complaints or good standing comments. All it is a glorified he
said she said

Old July 17th 07, 06:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"CatNipped" wrote in message
"Pat" wrote in message
et...

wrote

> [...]

cats' care in my absence.

Pat, I try to be patient because I know this is just who you are, but you
continually frustrate me. You've brought problems to this group dozens of
times (no complaint with that, I, and lots of others, do the same - and I
hope you'll continue to confide in us). However, I have never, ever, ever
seen you just accept the advice given without arguing back about why it
can't or won't work for you. I truly don't understand what you want from
us, or why you post these problems asking for help if you're not willing
to at least listen to words of experience from others. What's frustrating
is that we really want to help you, but our help is continually rejected.
If all you want is a sympathetic ear, then that's OK too, just say so
rather than asking for help you don't really want.

I've just got home from work and started reading this thread. I so agree
with you, Lori, and I have said this directly to Pat before, ISTR I said
something like "you are just like my mother, if there were only two
solutions to a problem, neither one would suit her."
However, if this truly was a brown recluse spider that bit Pat - and I
assume she has read about what Pam is still going through, and also
remembers that a member lost his beloved cat through a brs bite - there is
no time to argue. We are talking life-threatening here, there is no room
for herbal remedies in such a case.
Pat, if you are reading this, get your pig-headed self to hospital, no
matter how you do it. Phone an ambulance, or the police, bang on your
nearest neighbour's door whether you know them or not.
You are no good to your cats if you are dead.
I don't want to reply directly to you because I might say something I later
regret. To post a message like this to worry us all, then to say you won't
seek the appropriate treatment could be construed as trolling.
Attention-seeking.
It's your life that's on the line, Pat. Therefore your cats too, as they
depend on you. I'll leave it up to you. I will read the thread until I
find you have sought appropriate treatment. If you deliberately don't I
will killfile you. I don't need the worry.

Tweed

Old July 17th 07, 06:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
---MIKE---

Pat wrote:

If it gets much worse, I'll think about
getting to a hospital, but not before
making proper arrangements for the
cats' care in my absence.

Who will take care of the cats if you die? Waiting is the worst thing
you can do. Make arrangements for the cats NOW and call 911.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old July 17th 07, 07:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
mlbriggs

Default Brown recluse got me

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 19:57:33 -0500, Pat wrote:

"Pat" wrote

|I forgot about that brown recluse remedy that I found a while back, some
| herbal compound. What the heck was it again??? Made right here in Ava,
too!

Found it... http://www.brownrecluses.com/

Looks like it's made from a few simple herbs that grow locally, plus
activated carbon. I can get the herbs easily enough, they grow in my yard,
and I suppose Walmart has the carbon.

FYI They say a word to the wise is sufficient. Abscesses and infections
don't happen suddenly -- they creep up on you and before you even realize
it. A neighbor Had a bite that abscessed a month after the bite.
You have received a lot of "words" now let us see how wise you are.