"Outdoorsy" cat suddenly scared of EVERYTHING...???!!!

Old May 12th 04, 03:13 AM
Ron M.

Default "Outdoorsy" cat suddenly scared of EVERYTHING...???!!!

We adopted Skeeter, a really sweet 2 year old orange tabby, a neutered
male, about 6 months ago. He's a really sweet cat, very passive, loves
to be petted. The idiots who owned him previously declawed him,
unfortunately.

Skeeter has always SCREAMED to go outside, so about 3 months ago, we
started letting him out, and he became one happy kitty. He always
toileted outside, and loved to wander around the house, NEVER far, and
usually slept inside at night.

About a week ago, he ran up on the porch begging to get inside. Since
then, he has been scared to death of everything. He spends almost all
of his time sleeping under the bed or hiding in some far corner of a
closet. We tried taking him just out on our large deck/patio, where he
always LOVED to hang out with us, and the instant we put him down, he
dashed to the door and started pawing at it trying to get back in,
almost in a state of panic.

THEN... after he got back in, he ran to a back bedroom and started
pawing at a closet door, trying to get in there, as if the devil
himself were after him.

I'm assuming he was terrified by some dog or something. This has been
going on for a week now. Any advice would be MOST welcome.

Thanks,
Ron M.
Old May 12th 04, 03:56 AM
minerva nine

Ron -- Please consider keeping Skeeter inside. Even if he screams. Over
time he *will* get used to it, and you will never have to worry about him
being killed by a car or a dog or a jerk neighbor like the one I have who
traps cats and throws them off his boat dock in the trap. If he gets really
inconsolable, he might want company -- if you're away all day at work, get
him another cat for company. -- M9

om...

Old May 12th 04, 03:57 AM
Gee

"Ron M." wrote in message

I'm assuming he was terrified by some dog or something. This has been
going on for a week now. Any advice would be MOST welcome.

Thanks,
Ron M.

Unfortunately, since we don;t speak the same language as our cats, you can;t
explain to him that is OK,and that the danger is gone. So the only thing you
can do is give him lots of reassurance, petting, nice tone of voice, and
lots of bribes. Do not under any circumstences force him to go out, as you
will just reinforce the panic. Just let him do what he wants for now, even
if that means being in the cupboard where he feels safe. You';ll see, in a
few weeks he'll start coming out as cats are naturally very curious. For
now, you just reassure him that as long as he is at home nobody will hurt
him. He has created a negative association with the outside for whateva
reason, and that will need to be broken, but extremely slowly, by helping
him grow back his self-confidence. Saying that, it's probably better he
stays indoors, where he will be safe from other animals people and cars.

Whot happened outside, yeah could;ve been a dog, or another tom that he had
a fight with. We have a local bully Barney who although nice to humans,
hates any male cat! He will fight them to death! The amount of times I had
to rescue a scared kitty from top of a tree, while Barney guarded it from
underneath. So yeah you may have a local bully there who knows. Just don't
force him. He'll be fine.

This is a good time for the bribe and lots of petting him.

Gee

Old May 12th 04, 04:21 AM
Karen Chuplis

in article , Ron M. at
wrote on 5/11/04 9:13 PM:

[...]

I'd sure let him stay in. Don't push him. Consider getting some Feliway to
calm him. Try to play with him inside and build his confidence up. If he
ever wants to go out on the deck with you, he will. I wouldn't let him out
to wander, especially declawed that's for sure. But mostly, don't push him.

Karen

Old May 12th 04, 06:12 AM
Dennis Carr

On Tue, 11 May 2004 19:13:57 -0700, Ron M. wrote:

I'm assuming he was terrified by some dog or something. This has been
going on for a week now. Any advice would be MOST welcome.

One thing I recall is that a change in behavior tends to warrant a trip to
the vet. It can be many things, and only the vet can find out.

--
Dennis Carr - | I may be out of my mind,
http://www.dennis.furtopia.org | But I have more fun that way.

Old May 12th 04, 07:45 AM
Mary

"Ron M." wrote in message
om...
We adopted Skeeter, a really sweet 2 year old orange tabby, a

You just do not let a declawed cat outside. Period. Something frightened him
because he is not stupid--he knows his defenses are not what they used to
be. What are you thinking? Are there no dogs or cats etc. where you live?

---

My cat scared me Mary Cat anecdotes 42 October 2nd 04 02:09 PM
Cat suddenly pooping outside the box without reason Lashton Cat health & behaviour 12 April 10th 04 01:36 AM
Cat got scared and keeps attacking wife and other cat L.S. Cat health & behaviour 128 February 7th 04 09:15 PM