Mad kitty!

Old October 22nd 04, 02:54 AM
Singh

Default Mad kitty!

Odessa has been throwing a holy tantrum since we found her last night.
Usually a sound daylight sleeper, she was awake when Louie came home for
lunch, prowling about the computer room, knocking books off the shelves,
tearing up the bed, and saying very unprintable things. She's been
snotty since we found her under the dresser last night, and Louie
figured she might need another couple of days sequestered, and a more
controlled introduction to the other kids. Roxie has been ****ed as
well; she has been the one spending the most time camped out by the
door, and has been itching to discuss philosophy with her new sister.
She showed her displeasure by telling my husband to do something that is
only possible with latex appliances and smacking the food out of her
bowl.

I spent the night with Odessa last night, and she took her displeasure
out on me by continually pulling the blankets off me, or at least making
a valiant attempt at it. There is nothing like a cold wet nose on the
feet at 5 in the morning to get one's attention.

Everyone was right; yesterday she did indeed pull a b@st@rd cat trick,
and I think she's having a hissy fit because we found her hidey-holes! I
really can't blame her for needed some peace and quiet though. She'd
been through a lot with the shelter, and going through a few owners;
it's no wonder that trust is going to be hard-earned with her.

Just to be on the safe side, Louie rigged up the dresser so she can't
get beneath it now. So at least if she does go down cellar, we have some
idea of how and where to find her. And he also apologized for making
cracks about irresposnsibility. He's one of those who, when panicky, is
not happy until everyone else around him is freaked out too.

Blessed be,
Baha

Old October 22nd 04, 10:46 AM

I'd like to pause for just a moment, to have a tangential linguistic
discussion.

Singh wrote:

Just to be on the safe side, Louie rigged up the dresser so she can't
get beneath it now. So at least if she does go down cellar, we have
some idea of how and where to find her.

Oh, *WOW*!! I haven't heard the phrase "go down cellar" for years! (It
means "go down to the basement", for the uninitiated.) But that's how my
mother always said it. I just had a childhood flashback!

I'm from Boston. My parents are from Boston. All of their parents were
born in Boston, too. So I'm thinking maybe "down cellar" is a Boston-ism.
Or maybe a New England-ism?

Where're you from again? (Sorry, I can't remember at the moment.)

We now return you to our cliff-hanging story of Odessa, the magically
disappearing and reappearing kitty-brat.

Joyce

Old October 22nd 04, 01:37 PM
Yowie

Singh wrote:

Just to be on the safe side, Louie rigged up the dresser so she can't
get beneath it now. So at least if she does go down cellar, we have
some idea of how and where to find her.

Oh, *WOW*!! I haven't heard the phrase "go down cellar" for years! (It
means "go down to the basement", for the uninitiated.) But that's how my
mother always said it. I just had a childhood flashback!

I'm from Boston. My parents are from Boston. All of their parents were
born in Boston, too. So I'm thinking maybe "down cellar" is a Boston-ism.
Or maybe a New England-ism?

I always find it weird to hear the American term "I'll write you" rather
than saying "I'll write *to* you". I don't know when the dropped "to" or the
"to the" in your case above first started to be thought of as correct
grammar in American English, but to these Commonweatlth English ears, it
always sounds wrong.

But being quite ancient in terms of cuber-life, I've learnt that even
"English" has distinct sub-languages, and no one particular dialect is any
more "correct" than any other - just that some are "older".

Ye Olde Yowieth

---

Old October 22nd 04, 02:20 PM
Singh

Singh wrote:

Just to be on the safe side, Louie rigged up the dresser so she can't
get beneath it now. So at least if she does go down cellar, we have
some idea of how and where to find her.

Oh, *WOW*!! I haven't heard the phrase "go down cellar" for years! (It
means "go down to the basement", for the uninitiated.) But that's how my
mother always said it. I just had a childhood flashback!

I'm from Boston. My parents are from Boston. All of their parents were
born in Boston, too. So I'm thinking maybe "down cellar" is a Boston-ism.
Or maybe a New England-ism?

Where're you from again? (Sorry, I can't remember at the moment.)

I'm from Buffalo NY, but I think I see your thing about regional dialect. My
father always said "down cellar" and up until now I thought it was maybe a
Polish thing. But I've never heard other Polish immigrants use it. I now
remember that when my father was liberated from the camps and came to the US,
he spent several years in New England doing farm labor until finding steadier
work in Buffalo.

We now return to Odessa, who at this moment is in a screened in room, having
a supervised integration period with the other kids. No one has pulled a
Houdini yet, and I only heard three cusswords so far.

Blessed be,
Baha

My 24 hour kitty O J Cat anecdotes 39 August 20th 04 10:23 AM
A Gift from Mai Kitty David Cat anecdotes 20 May 2nd 04 09:50 PM