Orange kitty's arrival delayed

Old January 24th 08, 03:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Baha via CatKB.com

Default Orange kitty's arrival delayed

I hope this message makes it...seems some of my recent posts have not shown
up, and I'm starting to feel like I've been booted or something. but anyway...

We will be picking him up from Marilyn's tomorrow after her service, and from
there to the vet to get his routine screenings. I understand she was happier
than anything to learn that someone would take the venerable fella, who for
some reason was called Orangie or Rocky-Stallone on his papers. He'll be the
only one here without a two-legged name, but that's okay. we also understand
that while friendly, he is also his own law. His reaction to our swaggering
Stosh will be interesting to say the least.

I shall post, albeit nervously. I hope all are well...Marilyn is where she is,
anyway.

Blessed be,
Baha

Old January 24th 08, 10:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

Baha via CatKB.com wrote:
I hope this message makes it...seems some of my recent posts have not
shown up, and I'm starting to feel like I've been booted or
something. but anyway...

We will be picking him up from Marilyn's tomorrow after her service,
and from there to the vet to get his routine screenings. I understand
she was happier than anything to learn that someone would take the
venerable fella, who for some reason was called Orangie or
Rocky-Stallone on his papers. He'll be the only one here without a
two-legged name, but that's okay. we also understand that while
friendly, he is also his own law. His reaction to our swaggering
Stosh will be interesting to say the least.

I shall post, albeit nervously. I hope all are well...Marilyn is
where she is, anyway.

Blessed be,
Baha

Purrs for a successful integration to your family.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy & Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old January 24th 08, 02:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_3_]

[...]

Well, I missed an initial posting about you getting the orange guy (lucky!
I've always wanted an orange cat), but we'll be keeping up the crossed
fingers and purrs that all goes well for all of you.

Old January 24th 08, 09:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Baha via CatKB.com

Kreisleriana wrote:

Well, I missed an initial posting about you getting the orange guy (lucky!
I've always wanted an orange cat), but we'll be keeping up the crossed
fingers and purrs that all goes well for all of you.

Sometime back i did post. Probably in November or thereabout. the discussion
had arisen of how Marilyn wanted her cats to be cared for after she passed.
and she told Michelle she wanted me and Louie to take one. We elected to take
the guy known as Pumpkin, AKA Orangie, AKA Rocky Stallone, depending on what
papers you look at; if we end up with him I think he'll be known as William
of Orange. We said we'd take him because he's the oldest and would be the
hardest for the shelter to place. Now today we just learned that one of
Marilyn's cats is FIV+ and the others will have to be sequestered or a while;
they will be all tested tomorrow, Louie and I footed the bill for it. The
positive ones will go to Michelle (the Tenth Chance president) who keeps a
wing of her house set off as a sanctuary for FIV cats. The negative ones will
be retested after 8 weeks to make sure they're negative, or until the vet
says it's okay to move them to different homes, single-cat or multiples like
us. So it is ultimately a medical decision now whether we'll be getting this
guy, and a moral ecision on all parties involved. As much as I want to keep
to Marilyn's wishes, it would be irresponsible to allow the potential of
transmission of FIV to the other cats. So i'm in kind of a bind. We will take
another one from the shelter, at least, if all these cats end up with FIV.
Sebastian, the fella we learned today was the carrier, was for some reason
not sequestered. So we could have 9 others with the virus, some or none. And
if none show up now, some could show up in two months.

Will anyone here know if, you test and it turns out negative, how long before
it could show up positive if a cat's been exposed?

Blessed be,
Baha

Old January 25th 08, 12:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_3_]

"Baha via CatKB.com" u18616@uwe wrote in message news:7eb48a87f88c5@uwe...
Kreisleriana wrote:

[...]

Thanks for catching me up. I am so sorry for the loss of your friend and
the hardships she had to suffer. We are purring for you and all the
kitties, and hope you find a solution that will work for all.

Old January 25th 08, 07:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On Jan 24, 1:16*pm, "Baha via CatKB.com" u18616@uwe wrote:

Will anyone here know if, you test and it turns out negative, how long before
it could show up positive if a cat's been exposed?

See the other posts

The test used in vets can throw up false positives so if a cat tests
positive they need a second test (IFA? ELISA? Help me here people!) to
be sure. Also if I remember test will show negative between 4-6 weeks
after initial infection and that FIV tests in small kittens are
unreliable because they can pick the virus up from their mothers and
clear it from their systems later

You might want to know that a survey of FIV+ versus FIV neg cats done
by the University of Glasgow Department of Veterinary Medicine found a
higher mortality in the FIV neg group! Commonest cause of death in FIV
+ cats the survey found? Road accidents

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old January 25th 08, 08:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On Jan 25, 11:36*am, Lesley wrote:
Useful stuff here including the Glasgow Study

http://www.catchat.org/fiv.html