Another Persia story: Persia & the Milk Jug Ring

Old September 1st 14, 05:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Another Persia story: Persia & the Milk Jug Ring

This has got to be one of the cheapest improvisational cat toys around.
The milk jug ring.

It didn't take but a split second of my tossing it on the floor before
Persia was batting it all over the place. She played with it over the
course of a couple of days and I'd toss it for her, too. Eventually she
batted it under a small bookcase in the living room with a sort of
scrolled skirt at the bottom. (IOW, my hand won't fit under there.) The
milk jug ring was promptly forgotten. Or so I thought...

Fast foward a couple of years. Persia knew it was there. One day she
decided it was time to play with it again. She fished the milk jug ring
out from under the bookcase. I was sitting here at my desk when I saw
her playing with it.

I couldn't help but laugh. *I'm* the only one who had forgotten the
milk jug ring was under the bookcase. My hand won't fit but her paws
did.

Jill
Old September 3rd 14, 08:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

I always wished that my cats would play with things that most of the rpca
cats seemed to. Neither of them ever did.
When I was fairly newbie cat owner, empty boxes were very popular with cats
on here so I got one and put it in my living room expecting them both to
jump in and out of it. Both said "what's that thing in the way? get it out
of here"
Neither of them played and Boyfie just gives me a strange look if I try to
encourage him to do so. Like "what the.? are you doing, are you mad or
something?"

KFC was immune to catnip and it only has a slight effect on Boyfie. Maybe
their previous lives as "cats divorced from their previous owners" made them
take things more seriously. Or maybe as they both hunted that was enough to
not need to play? I don't know.
I would describe Boyfie as "earnest" he worries.
I'd really like him to enjoy himself with a catnip spree or playing with all
the things I bought him, any toy I bought, he ignores: which is not to say
he isn't happy here, he is.
Very much so.

Tweed

Old September 5th 14, 01:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jane[_3_]

On Wednesday, September 3, 2014 3:44:31 PM UTC-4, Christina Websell wrote:
[...]

Rita's not a box cat either. I put a box down for her the other day, and she climbed in it, then looked around as if to say, 'Now what?', then she climbed back out and jumped on the couch and settled down on her blanket. Oh well. At least she settles down on her blanket now when I set it up on the sewing/work-from-home table when I'm working, so she's not climbing all over the laptop when I'm trying to work now.
She does love catnip, but she's a quiet drunk. She just cuddles the toy and licks it soggy, then lays there dazed.

Jane
- owned and operated by the Princess Rita

Old September 5th 14, 02:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 9/5/2014 8:55 AM, Jane wrote:
Rita's not a box cat either. I put a box down for her the other day, and she climbed in it, then looked around as if to say, 'Now what?', then she climbed back out and jumped on the couch and settled down on her blanket. Oh well. At least she settles down on her blanket now when I set it up on the sewing/work-from-home table when I'm working, so she's not climbing all over the laptop when I'm trying to work now.
She does love catnip, but she's a quiet drunk. She just cuddles the toy and licks it soggy, then lays there dazed.

Jane
- owned and operated by the Princess Rita

Persia loved da nip! She had a little plush toy with a velcro closure
and I'd fill it with dried catnip. She, too, was a quiet drunk.
She'd lick that toy to pieces and then nap with her head right next to
it, if not on it.

She also liked boxes but I think it was more that she was checking to
make sure there wasn't something in them for her. She also could not
resist sticking her head into the grocery bags I brought into the house.

Jill
Old September 7th 14, 04:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Judith Latham" wrote in message
In article , jmcquown
wrote:
On 9/5/2014 8:55 AM, Jane wrote:
[...]

Sootie likes Nip. I put it on a dark blue towel on the siting-room carpet
(the carpet is pink and the nip was beginning to colour it). She loves to
roll in the nip and rub her head in it. It doesn't seem to affect her much
except that she get a little over excited if you give her some skritches.

Judith

You could try putting it in a old sock and tying the top.
That's what I used to do but it had to be really fresh to have any effect on
Boyfie. Like Sootie, he would roll on the sock and rub his head on it,
with a little bit of drooling
if it was premium stuff, then he would fall asleep with
a goofy look on his face. Getting overexcited is not him.

Maybe I should grow some on my veggie plot which is down in the village so
I can pick it fresh. I don't want to grow it in my garden at home for 2
reasons. 1. It would attract the neighbourhood cats and I don't want any
more fights 2. He might not want to come in preferring to spend his time
lolling amongst the catnip ;-)

There's a look-alike Boyfie-cat that spends a lot of time on my veggie plot.
It used to run away when I arrived, but recently she allowed me to pet her,
she has a collar on and is in good condition, and I saw her washing herself
on the path of the bungalow nearby so I think she lives there. But my
veggie plot is 1/3rd acre of peace for a cat in a fairly built up area,
quite a lot of it overgrown with a chance for hunting so I guess she likes
to chill out there. Next time I saw her, she ran off having said hello once
she thought that was enough. Indeed it was because I had thought she might
be feral as I'd had feral kittens born there once. I found them just after
their eyes opened and also trapped the mother, all ended well. They were
reunited at a shelter where the mum reared her kittens, was spayed and
returned, and all the kitten found good homes.
So this was not the case with the-cat-that-looks- like Boyfriend. She just
likes being there on the plot (as I do). It's very peaceful.
And if I grow catnip there, even more so for her..

Tweed

Judith Latham
Stourbridge, West Midlands. UK.