I Brought Persia Home

Old August 26th 14, 06:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default I Brought Persia Home

Today I was finally able to bring myself to make the trip back to the
vet to pick up Persia's ashes. They kindly transferred her ashes to the
small urn for me.

I had thought I'd set the urn on the fireplace mantle, then I had a
change of heart. There's a two-tier antique round table in the front
entryway. I've set her urn on the top tier. I'll see it each time I go
in/out that door or walk past by the door.

Jill
Old August 26th 14, 06:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
JJ[_2_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message
Today I was finally able to bring myself to make the trip back to the vet
to pick up Persia's ashes. They kindly transferred her ashes to the small
urn for me.

I had thought I'd set the urn on the fireplace mantle, then I had a change
of heart. There's a two-tier antique round table in the front entryway.
I've set her urn on the top tier. I'll see it each time I go in/out that
door or walk past by the door.

Jill

Jill, we've never met, and far be it from me to tell you what to do, but I
think you did the right thing by bringing Persia home. This is where she
belongs, near you, and I think this is a sign that you are healing from the
deep mourning which affects us all when we lose a loved one.

My son and his live-in girlfriend lost a dog, a 10-year-old British bulldog
which she had raised from the time he was born. I have never met such an
intelligent dog. He died on the operating table while having a diseased
kidney removed (and, like many a bulldog, he had a lot of other health
problems). He adored my son. I have NEVER seen my son in such agony as he
mourned over the loss of the dog. Now they have a new bulldog, a puppy,
hardly as intelligent as the old one, but they love him, and on the mantle
are the remains of Boris, the old dog, who was cremated and is always
remembered fondly. One does not negate the other.

When you feel you're ready, in a week or a month or a year, go out and look
at some cats at a shelter. You don't have to adopt right away. Look, think,
deliberate. Give yourself time to decide (or let an irresistible kitten or
cat decide for you).

Thank you so much for sharing the story (stories, actually) of Persia with
the rest of us. Please continue to do so.

Jay

Old August 27th 14, 01:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 8/26/2014 1:57 PM, JJ wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
Today I was finally able to bring myself to make the trip back to the vet
to pick up Persia's ashes. They kindly transferred her ashes to the small
urn for me.

I had thought I'd set the urn on the fireplace mantle, then I had a change
of heart. There's a two-tier antique round table in the front entryway.
I've set her urn on the top tier. I'll see it each time I go in/out that
door or walk past by the door.

Jill

Jill, we've never met, and far be it from me to tell you what to do, but I
think you did the right thing by bringing Persia home. This is where she
belongs, near you, and I think this is a sign that you are healing from the
deep mourning which affects us all when we lose a loved one.

I always intended to bring her ashes home. It just took me a couple of
weeks for me to work up to it.

[...]

There were a couple of cats up for adoption in a three-tiered cage in
the vet's office. One was a big orange tabby boy. The other was a tiny
little black girl-cat. (When I took Persia in for her final visit the
kitten in the cage with him was a calico; she has been adopted.) An
employee told me the orange tabby is much happier when there is a
younger kitten to keep him company, so now they have the little black
kitten.

The black kitty was batting at me through the bars. Then she started
crying a little bit. The tabby got up and murrped at her, like "What's
wrong?" It would be nice if they could be adopted together. But no,
I'm not at all ready to think about getting another cat, much less two.

Thank you so much for sharing the story (stories, actually) of Persia with
the rest of us. Please continue to do so.

Jay

I will, Jay. Thanks.

Jill
Old August 27th 14, 01:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 8/26/2014 2:26 PM, Judith Latham wrote:
In article ,
jmcquown wrote:
Today I was finally able to bring myself to make the trip back to the
vet to pick up Persia's ashes. They kindly transferred her ashes to the
small urn for me.

I had thought I'd set the urn on the fireplace mantle, then I had a
change of heart. There's a two-tier antique round table in the front
entryway. I've set her urn on the top tier. I'll see it each time I go
in/out that door or walk past by the door.

Jill

She's where she belongs and i think where you've put her urn is a great
place.

Judith

Yes, she's back home where she belongs. When I went to bed last night I
touched the top of the urn as I walked by and said goodnight to her.
(Of course I'd say goodnight to her either way.)

Jill
Old August 28th 14, 08:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley Madigan

On Tuesday, August 26, 2014 10:26:03 AM UTC-7, jmcquown wrote:
Today I was finally able to bring myself to make the trip back to the vet to pick up Persia's ashes.

There's a bit of me that wishes I had Sarsi's ashes but I know they'd just around until someone knocked them over and I had to vacuum them up (it's a family trait my brother had both my mum's and his MIL's ashes in the garage until last year) I have made a donation to the local cat shelter in her name instead but if I'd been thinking straight at the time I think I would have cut some of fur off to keep

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furball
Old August 28th 14, 09:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 8/28/2014 3:35 PM, Lesley Madigan wrote:
On Tuesday, August 26, 2014 10:26:03 AM UTC-7, jmcquown wrote:
Today I was finally able to bring myself to make the trip back to the vet to pick up Persia's ashes.

There's a bit of me that wishes I had Sarsi's ashes but I know they'd just around until someone knocked them over and I had to vacuum them up (it's a family trait my brother had both my mum's and his MIL's ashes in the garage until last year) I have made a donation to the local cat shelter in her name instead but if I'd been thinking straight at the time I think I would have cut some of fur off to keep

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furball

They trimmed a bit of her fur before the deed was done and gave it to me
in a little heart-shaped stone memory box - taped shut. I wasn't
expecting that but it was a nice touch. (I won't be removing the tape.)

As for the urn, it has a screw-top lid. Even if it got knocked over she
wouldn't spill out. I was also told the ashes inside are enclosed in a
plastic bag in the urn so if I ever opened it (I can't think of a reason
why I would!) there's no chance of her ashes spilling out.

I'm still so very sorry about Sarsi. I know how much it hurts.

Jill
Old August 29th 14, 06:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"jmcquown" wrote in message
Today I was finally able to bring myself to make the trip back to the vet
to pick up Persia's ashes. They kindly transferred her ashes to the small
urn for me.

I had thought I'd set the urn on the fireplace mantle, then I had a change
of heart. There's a two-tier antique round table in the front entryway.
I've set her urn on the top tier. I'll see it each time I go in/out that
door or walk past by the door.

Jill

It does take a while to gird your loins to get the ashes.
It's up to you what you do but myself I wouldn't want to see it on the table
quite yet.
But that's your choice. You only just lost her
Hugs for your heart
Tweed

Old August 29th 14, 06:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message
Today I was finally able to bring myself to make the trip back to the vet
to pick up Persia's ashes. They kindly transferred her ashes to the small
urn for me.

I had thought I'd set the urn on the fireplace mantle, then I had a change
of heart. There's a two-tier antique round table in the front entryway.
I've set her urn on the top tier. I'll see it each time I go in/out that
door or walk past by the door.

Jill

It does take a while to gird your loins to get the ashes.
It's up to you what you do but myself I wouldn't want to see it on the table
quite yet.
But that's your choice. You only just lost her
Hugs for your heart
Tweed

The fireplace mantle is above my head. Persia was was rarely ever above
my head. I thought, no, she doesn't belong up there. Out of sight, out
of mind. Nope!

Persia never was much of a jumper/climber. That's why I decided to put
the urn on the table where I can see it when I walk by. I say goodnight
to her and good morning to her. I'm happy where it is.

Jill
Old September 2nd 14, 03:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Thu, 28 Aug 2014 16:02:34 -0400, jmcquown
wrote:

[...]

I kept the ashes of Nico and Espy, because they were so special to me.
But I also know that it's silly; what's important are the memories.
Someday I'm going to die and their ashes will get thrown out, probably
along with mine.
Old September 2nd 14, 06:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

wrote:

[...]

I have various things from my past that I can't bear to get rid of. My
kids periodically come over to help me clean out a closet. About those
things I tell them, "I can't give these up, but when I'm not around I
don't care what you do with them."

--
Joy Unlimited
Colorful Crocheted Critters