indoor cats & flea's??

Old September 23rd 06, 04:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
ensoul

Default indoor cats & flea's??

How does that happen? The housing Mangment here doesn't allow pets
outside unless on leash, I never bothered doing that. I don't eve aloow
Moe & Rudy out on my balconey, I know they'd jump off (I'm on the 2nd
floor). They about a year & half old, neutered.

There is big flea problem in my area, anybody I know that has outdoor
pets are having major problems with flea's, you can see them jumping
around! Not that bad here, I did get get them both flea collor's,
brand name one's, try to get a head start before they get to the vet.
They are both long hair cats, too.

So how the heck do indoor cats get flea's? I haven't had to deal with
flea's, my last cat was immune to them, Sam went outdoors and never,
ever had flea's, maybe it's karma, LOL

And our flea collars enough?

ensoul

Old September 23rd 06, 05:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Niel Humphreys

"ensoul" wrote in message
ups.com...
How does that happen? The housing Mangment here doesn't allow pets
outside unless on leash, I never bothered doing that. I don't eve aloow
Moe & Rudy out on my balconey, I know they'd jump off (I'm on the 2nd
floor). They about a year & half old, neutered.

There is big flea problem in my area, anybody I know that has outdoor
pets are having major problems with flea's, you can see them jumping
around! Not that bad here, I did get get them both flea collor's,
brand name one's, try to get a head start before they get to the vet.
They are both long hair cats, too.

So how the heck do indoor cats get flea's?

On people's clothes/shoes.

And our flea collars enough?

Nope you need to treat with proper flea treatment from your vet.

Niel H

Old September 23rd 06, 05:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

"ensoul" wrote in message
ups.com...
How does that happen? The housing Mangment here doesn't allow pets
outside unless on leash, I never bothered doing that. I don't eve aloow
Moe & Rudy out on my balconey, I know they'd jump off (I'm on the 2nd
floor). They about a year & half old, neutered.

There is big flea problem in my area, anybody I know that has outdoor
pets are having major problems with flea's, you can see them jumping
around! Not that bad here, I did get get them both flea collor's,
brand name one's, try to get a head start before they get to the vet.
They are both long hair cats, too.

So how the heck do indoor cats get flea's? I haven't had to deal with
flea's, my last cat was immune to them, Sam went outdoors and never,
ever had flea's, maybe it's karma, LOL

And our flea collars enough?

ensoul

Fleas can be transported on your clothing, especially shoes (or brought in
by friends who have pets with fleas).

Please don't use flea collars. They can be hazardous to your cats' health.
Instead, pick up some flea treatment (*if needed*) from your vet --
Advantage, for example. Advantage, Frontline, and Revolution only need to
be applied once a month if you have fleas (and not at all if you have not
detected a problem).

MaryL

Old September 23rd 06, 05:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda

ensoul wrote:
How does that happen? The housing Mangment here doesn't allow pets
outside unless on leash, I never bothered doing that. I don't eve aloow
Moe & Rudy out on my balconey, I know they'd jump off (I'm on the 2nd
floor). They about a year & half old, neutered.

There is big flea problem in my area, anybody I know that has outdoor
pets are having major problems with flea's, you can see them jumping
around! Not that bad here, I did get get them both flea collor's,
brand name one's, try to get a head start before they get to the vet.
They are both long hair cats, too.

So how the heck do indoor cats get flea's? I haven't had to deal with
flea's, my last cat was immune to them, Sam went outdoors and never,
ever had flea's, maybe it's karma, LOL

And our flea collars enough?

Flea collars emit a continuous poison -- they are not a good idea for
cats. Long ago that's about all there was, but now there are much easier
and safer things. We've used Advantage from the vet, just one drop on
their shoulder blades.

If you have people taking pets outside on leashes, they could be picking
up fleas. Fleas also ride in on people's clothing.

Good luck,

Rhonda

Old September 23rd 06, 06:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
ensoul

Please don't use flea collars. They can be hazardous to your cats' health.
Instead, pick up some flea treatment (*if needed*) from your vet --
Advantage, for example. Advantage, Frontline, and Revolution only need to
be applied once a month if you have fleas (and not at all if you have not
detected a problem).

MaryL

I used flea collars in the way past before they stuff like advanatage,
Peabody couldn't handle it burned her skin so I got the type that a tag
hanging down, the collar it's was just a plain plastic collar...I check
dailey for any burns....they are going to the vet I just thought I
could get a head start on the problem...cost is major factos now since
my husband died my income has dropped by 3/4.....I'm trying to borrow
money for it

ensoul

and TY all for the info

Old September 23rd 06, 06:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
The Polish-Kraut

How does that happen? The housing Mangment here doesn't allow pets
outside unless on leash, I never bothered doing that. I don't eve aloow
Moe & Rudy out on my balconey, I know they'd jump off (I'm on the 2nd
floor). They about a year & half old, neutered.

There is big flea problem in my area, anybody I know that has outdoor
pets are having major problems with flea's, you can see them jumping
around! Not that bad here, I did get get them both flea collor's,
brand name one's, try to get a head start before they get to the vet.
They are both long hair cats, too.

So how the heck do indoor cats get flea's?

On people's clothes/shoes.

And our flea collars enough?

Nope you need to treat with proper flea treatment from your vet.

One thing that I found over the years is that IMHO flea collars are
aout useless. I use topical flea treat such as Advantage.

My furbabies

http://members.aol.com/larrystark/

Old September 25th 06, 01:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

Advantage, Frontline, and Revolution only need to
be applied once a month if you have fleas (and not at all if you have not
detected a problem).

MaryL

I thought they should be used for prevention. I hardly overuse it,
generally I give one dose in early July and that's about it. The boys
only go in the backyard, but I know it's possible for them to get
fleas there even though it's pretty well sealed off from other
critters. Squirrels certainly are all around.

I once had fleas in my apartment and it was a major mess getting rid
of them. I'd have to burn down the house.
Old September 25th 06, 11:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

"dgk" wrote in message

Advantage, Frontline, and Revolution only need to
be applied once a month if you have fleas (and not at all if you have not
detected a problem).

MaryL

I thought they should be used for prevention. I hardly overuse it,
generally I give one dose in early July and that's about it. The boys
only go in the backyard, but I know it's possible for them to get
fleas there even though it's pretty well sealed off from other
critters. Squirrels certainly are all around.

I once had fleas in my apartment and it was a major mess getting rid
of them. I'd have to burn down the house.

I wouldn't see anything wrong with that. I just meant that I would not like
to see anyone use *any* of these flea products on a routine basis unless
there was an actual need -- it's just not good to overmedicate, but once a
year (such as you described) doesn't sound harmful to me. On the other
hand, I also do not have a background in medicine.

MaryL