Tips for Drinkwell Fountain Owners

Old June 21st 07, 10:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Default Tips for Drinkwell Fountain Owners

Christina Websell wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
KMP wrote:
CatNipped wrote:
"Victor Martinez" wrote in message
CatNipped wrote:
They also make cleaning kits especially to fit Drinkwell
fountains. I got this one
http://www.thecatconnection.com/Drin...aning-Kit.html but
you
Hmmm... I just put mine in the dishwasher... except for the pump,
of course.

We don't run our dishwasher enough to be sure the fountain is
cleaned and then put right back out ;

Hugs,

As far as I can see, our Drinkwell doesn't come apart. I rinse the
dish and the feeder section out every other day. Woodgie don't play
in the water, just drinks from the fountain occasionally. The pump
isn't exposed to the air or the water - why would it need to be
cleaned? For that matter, how? I don't get it...
Kathy

What are you, 12? You obviously haven't looked very closely. The
fountain
part where the filter is comes off from the top of the basin. Um,
you do know what a filter is, don't you? And the motor is attached
through the base. As for the why... why do you wash glasses you
drink from? Because they get dirty.

Jill

That's a really rude post, Jill, what got into you?
Let's start this again: Your Drinkwell fountain comes apart to clean
and as I have one I can tell you how...
Blimey, I thought I was in a bad mood on the group recently (sorry,
all) but that is probably because I am awaiting news from my blood
test to see if my cancer has returned or not. What's your excuse?

Tweed

Let's say I'm under a lot of stress since my nephew was run over by a drunk
in a truck who has a revoked drivers' license and no insurance. No one is
likely to pay his hospital bills. They just put a titanium pin in his leg
and he's in a back and arm brace.

My father went to the cancer center again this morning; he's still being
treated for his 2nd bout of lymphoma and they are trying to determine
whether or not its come back. Me, I still can't seem to find a job and I
have another brother who is a total ass calling me on the phone screaming at
me about going to make sure my parents have a WILL and by the way, why does
he care?

And by the way, the Drinkwell fountain comes with instructions about how to
take it apart and clean it. I'm not going to read the manual to this
person. Sorry if I was rude but it's a simple matter to read the
directions.

Jill

Old June 21st 07, 10:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

jofirey wrote:
"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...

"Victor Martinez" wrote in message
Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:
I got them a 'freshflow' fountain not a Drinkwell (that was what
the Pet Supermaket sells...) it doesn't actually 'waterfall' the
water, it slides it down a chute so it doesn't make any noise, but
aside from that they're probably identical inside...

That's the one we had! It just recently started making a lot of
noise, so we bought a new one, different brand.

OK, so I am going to have to ask. Why do you all buy these
"fountains" for your cats? What is wrong with "a bowl of fresh
water"? puzzled

Tweed

I bought one because our cats were so into running water. Their
preferred water source being a dripping faucet in the kitchen sink.
And because I really like to make sure they drink enough water. Its
a problem for Jake.

The fountain was more trouble for me to maintain than it was value to
the cats. Since I couldn't hear it, I would forget to fill it. And
it is difficult to clear properly and often.

I gave it to my daughter, and we let the sink drip. As well as a
faucet outside. (That one has a thing that is just supposed to drip
when a pet licks it, but it drips a little bit all the time as well.
We just keep a water bowl under it and have some very happy maple
trees that like the moisture)

I'm now in the market for a water bowl to put there that Kayla can't
tip or move. But not so big she can get soaking wet in it. She
seems to think one of her ancestors is a spaniel.

Jo

Persia kept sticking her head under the running water when I was brushing my
teeth. The bathroom counter was the only counter I ever saw her get up on
but man did she want to drink from that running tap! So I got her a
fountain and she loves it.

Jill

Old June 21st 07, 10:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ketzl's Dad

Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:
I got them a 'freshflow' fountain not a Drinkwell (that was what the
Pet Supermaket sells...) it doesn't actually 'waterfall' the water, it
slides it down a chute so it doesn't make any noise, but aside from
that they're probably identical inside...

That's the one we had! It just recently started making a lot of noise, so
we bought a new one, different brand.

OK, so I am going to have to ask. Why do you all buy these "fountains" for
your cats? What is wrong with "a bowl of fresh water"? puzzled

Tweed

I can't answer for everyone, of course, but there were a couple of reasons I
bought one for Ketzl.

1.) I'm a sucker for him.
2.) I read that they keep the water fresher and more palatable.
3.) He is drawn to moving water and really likes drinking from it.

It's a FreshFlow Deluxe, not a Drinkwell, but they're similar.

I don't know that I would replace it if it broke.

They are a pain to clean -- weekly -- in order to keep them working right and
from growing bad bugs.

He also has two glasses from which to drink that I refill twice daily.

He also tries very hard to drink from mine, which is almost always at my
side.

The ultimate insult is that he prefers the toilet (I keep the lid down,
though, so he can't get at it.)

Maybe I'll just put in another bathroom that I'll never use for my own
purposes. That way I can be sure the water in the bowl is clean enough for
him to drink. :-)

(No, I'm not *that* much of a sucker.)

--
Joey Dee from NYC

Remember: It is To Laugh

a few Ketzl pix
http://tinyurl.com/2a5u8b

Old June 22nd 07, 12:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Victor Martinez

Christina Websell wrote:
OK, so I am going to have to ask. Why do you all buy these "fountains" for
your cats? What is wrong with "a bowl of fresh water"? puzzled

You only have to refill it once a week or so (depends on humidity) and
wash it once a month or so? It has a filter, so the recirculation helps
keep it clean.
And it's fun.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old June 22nd 07, 07:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:
I got them a 'freshflow' fountain not a Drinkwell (that was what the
Pet Supermaket sells...) it doesn't actually 'waterfall' the water, it
slides it down a chute so it doesn't make any noise, but aside from
that they're probably identical inside...

That's the one we had! It just recently started making a lot of noise, so
we bought a new one, different brand.

OK, so I am going to have to ask. Why do you all buy these "fountains" for
your cats? What is wrong with "a bowl of fresh water"? puzzled

Tweed

I've never had one. I've always been curious about them, but lordy, I
spend so
much on the cats already that a fountain is just one of those "extras"
that I
always figured we could do without. I don't have a handy place to plug
one in, either.

Sherry

Old June 25th 07, 04:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

. net...

Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:
[...]

I think they like the toilet because the porcelain keeps the water so cool.
Try throwing a couple of ice cubes into his fountain - I think he would
enjoy that, mine do.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old June 25th 07, 04:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:
I got them a 'freshflow' fountain not a Drinkwell (that was what the
Pet Supermaket sells...) it doesn't actually 'waterfall' the water, it
slides it down a chute so it doesn't make any noise, but aside from
that they're probably identical inside...

That's the one we had! It just recently started making a lot of noise, so
we bought a new one, different brand.

OK, so I am going to have to ask. Why do you all buy these "fountains"
for your cats? What is wrong with "a bowl of fresh water"? puzzled

Tweed

It encourages them to drink more water (and since CRF is the number one
killer of cats, this can never be a bad thing) because: a) the water is
filtered through charcoal and is aerated as it falls into the bowl, so the
filtering and extra oxygen make it taste much better than water in a bowl;
b) cats eyes can only detect motion and they have trouble seeing the surface
of still water - a lot of times they'll try to get a drink, "miss", and get
water up their nose and this *DIS*courages them from drinking water (always
a bad thing); c) since the water is in constant motion it never gets
stagnant.

I first got my Drinkwell because Bandit was getting older and her kidneys
were not working as effeciently (and she *hated* getting water up her nose
so wouldn't drink enough from her bowl). Especially after she became blind,
the Drinkwell was a blessing for her - she could hear where the water was.
She drank much more than she did before I got it.

I don't find it that tedious to take care of - I just give it a thorough
washing once a week (and since we have *VERY* hard water here in Houston I
soak it in vinegar about once every 3 nonths to disolve the minerals that
build up on it).

Hugs,

CatNipped