What Price For Kitty?

Old February 14th 05, 05:43 AM
Glarb

Default What Price For Kitty?

I've been thinking about this. I have spent huge sums of money on the cat I
have had for the past seven or eight years. But I have money, and I don't
think about it. But if I didn't have money -- let's say living from
paycheck to paycheck -- and the vet came in and said, "$850 for labwork and
surgery." Forgive me, but I would probably have to draw the line there and
have the poor thing put to rest. I know this makes me a bad person, but
come on y'all, what is your true limit on such matters?

Glarb

Old February 14th 05, 06:06 AM
kitkat

Glarb wrote:
I've been thinking about this. I have spent huge sums of money on the cat I
have had for the past seven or eight years. But I have money, and I don't
think about it. But if I didn't have money -- let's say living from
paycheck to paycheck -- and the vet came in and said, "$850 for labwork and
surgery." Forgive me, but I would probably have to draw the line there and
have the poor thing put to rest. I know this makes me a bad person, but
come on y'all, what is your true limit on such matters?

Glarb

I have lots and lots of credit. As long as I wasn't putting my cat
through unnecessary treatments that would not actually improve his or
her quality of life...I would not put a price limit on their heads. Keep
in mind, I am only a school teacher. I am not a rich woman. But, I love
my cats like children and if I had children, I certainly wouldn't
euthanize them if the bills got high!

Your question is a tough as well as very personal one though...because
certainly not everyone is able to fork up indefinite amounts of money.
This kind of thread could definitely lead into some flames and
judgements...which I would personally not like to see.

if only it were easy...
pam

Old February 14th 05, 06:13 AM
Mary

"kitkat" wrote in message
om...
Glarb wrote:
[...]

I would take out a second mortgage on my house for my cats.
Or an equity loan. And I would ask relatives for money if need be--
which is something I have done maybe twice in my life. I would ask
friends for money, something I have never done. I would sell
all my collectables to pay for my cats' health needs. I would do
everything I could, as long as I was not, as you say, Pam, putting them
through hell when they did not have a good chance at a decent
recovery. I am their caretaker, and it is my responsibility to not
only get them health care but also to see to it that they do not
suffer unnecessarily.

Old February 14th 05, 06:14 AM
Mary

"Glarb" wrote:

I know this makes me a bad person, but
come on y'all, what is your true limit on such matters?

What the hell is wrong with you?

Old February 14th 05, 06:22 AM
kitkat

Mary wrote:

I am their caretaker, and it is my responsibility to not
only get them health care but also to see to it that they do not
suffer unnecessarily.

This is so key. I hope that if and when the time should come that I have
to make "big decisions" I am strong enough to do what is right by the
cat...I simply can not imagine life without my Luna! I don't like to
imagine life without Jasper either, but I kinda feel like he came to us
on borrowed time as it is and I feel grateful to be able to give him a
comfortable happy home to live out his senior years, however long that
may be. Luna I have had since she was 6 months old...so it is
just...*different*.

I simply can not put a price on my cats. When Luna looks at me with her
big round eyes and she is just full of wonder and contentment...well I
could just float away! As for Jasper, when he squeaks with excitement
because we are home and near him...that is what it is *all about*.

pam
Old February 14th 05, 06:25 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-02-14, Glarb penned:
I've been thinking about this. I have spent huge sums of money on the cat I
have had for the past seven or eight years. But I have money, and I don't
think about it. But if I didn't have money -- let's say living from
paycheck to paycheck -- and the vet came in and said, "$850 for labwork and
surgery." Forgive me, but I would probably have to draw the line there and
have the poor thing put to rest. I know this makes me a bad person, but
come on y'all, what is your true limit on such matters?

I don't know, and I hope I never have to find out. But then, I have it easy;
my husband and I both work, and we have no children, so Oscar is my only
dependent. It must be a lot harder for people who have children, parents, or
others depending on them for care.

--
monique, roommate of Oscar the (female) grouch
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old February 14th 05, 07:24 AM
Rhonda

Very hard decisions must be made at that point.

Our diabetic, pancreatitus cat had a very bad year a few years ago. The
vet bills were $4,000 in 6 months. After a couple of months of good
health, he had an intense pancreatitus attack at Christmas. At that
point, we had a horrible discussion of money vs. cat care vs. quality of
his life.

It ended with me not being able to face losing him at Christmas, and not
being able to give up hope.

After a few days in the hospital being treated by an internist, he as
home again. I was never so glad that we spent the extra few hundred, he
had a long, beautiful, healthy year after that. It was a joy to have him
that extra time, and I never would have forgiven myself if we would have
let him go without another try.

It's a very personal and tough decision. I believe for animal-lovers
that most times the money is a problem is after you've spent tons
already and are not certain of their quality of life. For people who
just say that they won't spend a certain amount on their pets, I don't
think they understand the commitment they've made by bringing them home.

Rhonda

Old February 14th 05, 11:08 AM
sarah

When anyone takes on a pet they should consider whether they can afford it
if it became chronically ill - but many people never do.

By the time it happens - the emotional bond is there.

Despite the best of intentions, circumstances can change - and perhaps
someone who would have willingly spent hundreds or even thousands - suddenly
cannot.

Part of pet ownership is planning for the unexpected - i.e. insurance or
savings. But even these may not be enough. If the money is not there then it
is not there - and unfortunately the pet, who may have made a full
recovery - ends up being put to sleep.

The very high cost of pet treatment means you are not a bad person. If you
have to draw the line and not spend any more on it then so be it. If pet
treatment were less expensive - this discussion may not be taking place.

Pets are not always an unnecessary luxury. For many people they are valuable
companions who give their owners hope in a bleak and lonely life and
something to live for. Pets have a recuperative part to play in the lives of
many humans - we owe it to our pets to develop schemes and find ways of
treating them when they are ill - without it breaking the bank.

sarah

Old February 14th 05, 11:22 AM
Phil P.

"Mary" wrote in message
.com...

"Glarb" wrote:

I know this makes me a bad person, but
come on y'all, what is your true limit on such matters?

What the hell is wrong with you?

Nothing! That's perfectly normal behavior for an asshole.