Cat names

Old May 1st 07, 09:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default Cat names

From: "Flippy"
Subject: A Pair of Cat's Names
Date: 29 April 2007 06:33

One of our rules for pet naming, especially cats, is how we would feel
about standing and yelling that name out our front door at 11 PM, or
walking around the neighborhood calling it.

Jo

I always wondered what the neighbors used to think when I stood at the back
door at 11 PM yelling "ROMEO!!, Romeo! Where are you??"

For best effect you should have called "Romeo, Romeo, where art thou,
Romeo?" ;-)

Tweed

Old May 2nd 07, 12:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

From: "Flippy"
Date: 29 April 2007 06:33

One of our rules for pet naming, especially cats, is how we would
feel about standing and yelling that name out our front door at 11
PM, or walking around the neighborhood calling it.

Jo

I always wondered what the neighbors used to think when I stood at
the back door at 11 PM yelling "ROMEO!!, Romeo! Where are you??"

For best effect you should have called "Romeo, Romeo, where art thou,
Romeo?" ;-)

Tweed

Depends on which part of the play you're referring to! If it's when his
band of friends are calling for him, it's just "ROMEO!" If it's Juliet on
the balcony doing a soliliquy then you may add "wherefore art thou, Romeo?"

Jill

Old May 2nd 07, 02:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Will in New Haven

From: "Flippy"
Date: 29 April 2007 06:33

One of our rules for pet naming, especially cats, is how we would
feel about standing and yelling that name out our front door at 11
PM, or walking around the neighborhood calling it.

Jo

I always wondered what the neighbors used to think when I stood at
the back door at 11 PM yelling "ROMEO!!, Romeo! Where are you??"

For best effect you should have called "Romeo, Romeo, where art thou,
Romeo?" ;-)

Tweed

Depends on which part of the play you're referring to! If it's when his
band of friends are calling for him, it's just "ROMEO!" If it's Juliet on
the balcony doing a soliliquy then you may add "wherefore art thou, Romeo?"

Which doesn't mean "where are you" but "why are you."

Will in New Haven

--

"I'm not pompous, I'm pedantic. Allow me to explain the difference" -
NancyButtons on rec.arts.sf.written

Jill- Hide quoted text -

Old May 2nd 07, 02:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

From: "Flippy"
Date: 29 April 2007 06:33

One of our rules for pet naming, especially cats, is how we would
feel about standing and yelling that name out our front door at 11
PM, or walking around the neighborhood calling it.

Jo

I always wondered what the neighbors used to think when I stood at
the back door at 11 PM yelling "ROMEO!!, Romeo! Where are you??"

For best effect you should have called "Romeo, Romeo, where art
thou, Romeo?" ;-)

Tweed

Depends on which part of the play you're referring to! If it's when
his band of friends are calling for him, it's just "ROMEO!" If it's
Juliet on the balcony doing a soliliquy then you may add "wherefore
art thou, Romeo?"

Which doesn't mean "where are you" but "why are you."

Will in New Haven

True... because it's followed afterwards by "Deny thy father and refuse thy
name" since who he was prevented them from hooking up But I still like
Romeo & Juliet as good names for a pair of male & female kittens!

Jill

Old May 2nd 07, 02:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Will in New Haven

From: "Flippy"
Date: 29 April 2007 06:33

[...]

They are good names. I am not considered an expert at naming cats,
since Feather (RB) was the only cat I ever named and people thought it
was an AWful name. At least many people. I was part of a group that
named Winthrop and Edgewood, feral kittens captured at the corner of
Winthrop and Edgewood. Other than that, I have let other people name
cats and then critiqued the names. It is far easier.

Will in New Haven

--

Jill- Hide quoted text -

Old May 2nd 07, 04:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kathy[_2_]

From: "Flippy"
Date: 29 April 2007 06:33

One of our rules for pet naming, especially cats, is how we would feel
about standing and yelling that name out our front door at 11 PM, or
walking around the neighborhood calling it.

Jo

I always wondered what the neighbors used to think when I stood at the back
door at 11 PM yelling "ROMEO!!, Romeo! Where are you??"

For best effect you should have called "Romeo, Romeo, where art thou,
Romeo?" ;-)

Tweed

At least you have the correct word in there, Tweed....
I found out, rather late in life, that wherefore means/meant WHY, not
where, as Juliet obviously knew where he was... But everybody does seem
to think it means where.
Kathy
Old May 2nd 07, 04:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kathy[_2_]

From: "Flippy"
Date: 29 April 2007 06:33
[...]

Sorry, all - my news reader has the posts in order that I did not read
all the wherefore parts before I posted the other....
Kathy
Old May 2nd 07, 07:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

From: "Flippy"
Date: 29 April 2007 06:33

One of our rules for pet naming, especially cats, is how we would feel
about standing and yelling that name out our front door at 11 PM, or
walking around the neighborhood calling it.

Jo

I always wondered what the neighbors used to think when I stood at the back
door at 11 PM yelling "ROMEO!!, Romeo! Where are you??"

For best effect you should have called "Romeo, Romeo, where art thou,
Romeo?" ;-)

Actually it's "wherefore (Elizabethan English for "why") art
thou Romeo" - Juliet's not looking for him, just sad because
fate should have put him in the "enemy" camp.
Old May 2nd 07, 08:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

From: "Flippy"
Date: 29 April 2007 06:33

One of our rules for pet naming, especially cats, is how we would feel
about standing and yelling that name out our front door at 11 PM, or
walking around the neighborhood calling it.

Jo

I always wondered what the neighbors used to think when I stood at the
back
door at 11 PM yelling "ROMEO!!, Romeo! Where are you??"

For best effect you should have called "Romeo, Romeo, where art thou,
Romeo?" ;-)

Actually it's "wherefore (Elizabethan English for "why") art thou Romeo" -
Juliet's not looking for him, just sad because fate should have put him in
the "enemy" camp.

I know, I altered it because I thought it sounded more suitably
Shakespearian to go with his name ;-)
Being British, I was "Shakespeared to death" at school. I can still
remember off by heart whole tracts of it. E.g. Now fair Hypolleta (sp?)
our nuptial hour draws on apace...ad nauseum.

Tweed

Tweed

Old May 2nd 07, 09:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Will in New Haven" wrote in message
oups.com...
On May 2, 9:35 am, "jmcquown" wrote:

snip
But I still like
Romeo & Juliet as good names for a pair of male & female kittens!

They are good names. I am not considered an expert at naming cats,
since Feather (RB) was the only cat I ever named and people thought it
was an AWful name. At least many people. I was part of a group that
named Winthrop and Edgewood, feral kittens captured at the corner of
Winthrop and Edgewood. Other than that, I have let other people name
cats and then critiqued the names. It is far easier.

I am a terrible namer too. I can never think of anything suitable at first,
end up nicknaming them temporarily and then it sticks.
I would never have named a cat "Boyfriend" on purpose. It just seemed that
he must be Kitty's boyfriend or she would never have allowed him on the
place. I tried to change it to Gideon, but it didn't work. Neither is
Kitty an imaginative name. It's what you call a cat when you don't know
their name and I didn't know her name as I thought she belonged to someone
else.
So I did dignify her a bit by adding a surname.

When Nüle was here visiting from Germany, she told me that the equivalent in
German was Meitze. I may have the spelling wrong here, Inge? Bettina? When
we call "here, kitty, kitty" they call for "meitze, meitze" She claimed
that all cats will come if you call this phrase, and yes, mine did, if "I"
called it. Kitty came if Nüle called it, but for some reason Boyfie had a
deep distrust of her.
I know it hurt her feelings, as she is kind and she loves cats. She wanted
to be his friend but he certainly didn't want to be hers.
I wasn't bothered at first as Boyfie hates visitors but after three weeks he
was still the same. He spent a lot of time outside the house and would only
come in when she had gone to bed. 30 seconds or so afterwards he would
trill at the door, so he was watching.
N used to say "But why does he hate me so much?" with such pathos in her
voice.
I could not offer any explanation at all. She certainly looks very
different from me. I am small, 5 ft 4, and have darkish greying hair,
medium build. N is 5 ft 10, yellow blonde spiky hair and as thin as a
stick. And ok, her accent is different. Maybe the lad just doesn't like
change.

Tweed

need cat names scullycat Cat health & behaviour 27 September 26th 05 01:29 AM
Trying out names Marina Cat anecdotes 14 July 28th 05 11:44 PM
Cat names Mognusticat Cat anecdotes 10 June 24th 05 09:00 PM
OT Fun with names Cheryl Cat anecdotes 111 December 14th 04 04:39 AM
Ban Those Names! Jeanne Hedge Cat anecdotes 228 November 8th 04 06:36 AM