Would you clone your pet if possible?

Old September 25th 07, 04:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.pets.rabbits
James

Default Would you clone your pet if possible?

Most pets are fixed so you can't even have their children.

Old September 25th 07, 07:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.pets.rabbits
Meghan Noecker

On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 20:42:28 -0700, James
wrote:

Most pets are fixed so you can't even have their children.

No. The clone would have the same genetics, but their experiences
would be completely different. It would not be the same pet. It would
just be a continual disappointment as they wouldn't live up to my
expectations.

I would still have pets, and each new pet would be special in their
own way. And I can rescue pets in shelters rather than waste money
trying to recreate the one I lost.

Old September 25th 07, 01:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Jean B.

wrote:

Most pets are fixed so you can't even have their children.

No. The clone would have the same genetics, but their experiences
would be completely different. It would not be the same pet. It would
just be a continual disappointment as they wouldn't live up to my
expectations.

I would still have pets, and each new pet would be special in their
own way. And I can rescue pets in shelters rather than waste money
trying to recreate the one I lost.

I agree. While in ways it would be tempting, since I adore
Mingy, the personality would be totally different. Also,
there are lots of cats on this earth who need homes.

--
Jean B.
Old September 25th 07, 01:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.pets.rabbits
dgk

wrote:

Most pets are fixed so you can't even have their children.

No. The clone would have the same genetics, but their experiences
would be completely different. It would not be the same pet. It would
just be a continual disappointment as they wouldn't live up to my
expectations.

I would still have pets, and each new pet would be special in their
own way. And I can rescue pets in shelters rather than waste money
trying to recreate the one I lost.

The firm that did that went out of business. Out of the seven cats
that I've had (four now passed), only for two would I even consider
it. Nico (the wonder cat) was just completely special. Espy, still
alive and pretty young, is of that ilk as well. Both very smart and
interesting animals. The others were also all special in their own
way, but these two are really something else.

But if I had cloned Nico, I wouldn't have had Espy maybe. And who can
tell what the next one will be like?

No, there are just too many other cats waiting for homes. Like
breeding, cloning just isn't for me. I'm hoping, if there is a heaven
or a rainbow bridge, Nico will be waiting for me. Along with Bushky
and Luckyboy and Jackie. Hey, there are even a few people that I'd
like to see again.
Old September 26th 07, 05:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.pets.rabbits
bookie

On 25 Sep, 04:42, James wrote:
Most pets are fixed so you can't even have their children.

no, whole idea is totally wrong and anyway clones can have problems
with early cell death and ageing (see dolly the sheep)
if your current cat passes away then just give a home to one of the
hundreds of thousands of already living homeless animals out there in
shelters just desperate for someone to take care of them

i have to stop now or I might start to get really angry about this
whole issue

bookie

Old September 26th 07, 07:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Gandalf

wrote:

Most pets are fixed so you can't even have their children.

No. The clone would have the same genetics, but their experiences
would be completely different. It would not be the same pet. It would
just be a continual disappointment as they wouldn't live up to my
expectations.

I would still have pets, and each new pet would be special in their
own way. And I can rescue pets in shelters rather than waste money
trying to recreate the one I lost.

I agree. While in ways it would be tempting, since I adore
Mingy, the personality would be totally different. Also,
there are lots of cats on this earth who need homes.

The shelters are full to bursting in most places. Wonderful kitties who
need good homes.

Yes, some idiots like Paris Hilton or Brittany Spears will almost
certainly clone a pet, but then, they aren't too bright.....
Old September 26th 07, 04:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.pets.rabbits
Sheelagh >o

On 25 Sep, 04:42, James wrote:
Most pets are fixed so you can't even have their children.

No, I don't think I could morally agree with that idea. The whole
thing goes against the grains of life. The very fiber of what makes,
you, you, is a unique thing. To try & clone or capture that spirit in
cat, that has the same genetic make up, will not necessarily have the
same characteristics that your prior cat did. This would lead to
disappointment, not to mention the kinks that haven't been ironed out
of the process yet.

(ie: if kitty1 enjoyed lying around your neck & that was part of what
made her speacial, then how would you feel if kitty 2 Rather's
standing next to your feet?)
Also, there are phyical kinks that occur during the life of the cat,
such as arthritis, & dying young too, as with the same experiment with
Pigs.

I think it would be a disappointing & if you are trying to resurrect
the spirit of the cat that you had, you are chasing a lost dream. That
unique cat was a one off, & there is no way that anyone can capture
the essence of that kitty. Of course this is just IMHO. Others might
feel differently. It would be interesting to talk to someone who has
already taken that step just to hear what their experience is of this
procedure & how they feel it has worked for both them, & the cat too
of course.

Interesting concept, bad idea in IMHO- a summary!

Sheelagh "o"

Old September 26th 07, 09:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
yngver

wrote:

Most pets are fixed so you can't even have their children.

No. The clone would have the same genetics, but their experiences
would be completely different. It would not be the same pet. It would
just be a continual disappointment as they wouldn't live up to my
expectations.

I would still have pets, and each new pet would be special in their
own way. And I can rescue pets in shelters rather than waste money
trying to recreate the one I lost.

I agree. While in ways it would be tempting, since I adore
Mingy, the personality would be totally different. Also,
there are lots of cats on this earth who need homes.

--

While there may be other reasons to choose not to clone a pet, the
argument that the clone would not have the same personality is not

Cloning is much more common with livestock, and clones can display
almost uncanny similarities in personality.

If someone is expecting the clone to be exactly like the original pet
in every way, that may result in disappointment. But if the goal is to
have another pet that is a lot like the first one, that is not
unlikely.
-yngver

Old September 26th 07, 10:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.pets.rabbits
Kate[_2_]

I seem to have missed the original post on this subject so I will jump in
here I would not clone. I believe each and every one of my beloved pets
are "one of a kind" you may be abe to clone a body, but you can't clone the
spirit My beliefs anyway.

Regards Kate and the 2 madams
"bookie" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 25 Sep, 04:42, James wrote:
Most pets are fixed so you can't even have their children.

no, whole idea is totally wrong and anyway clones can have problems
with early cell death and ageing (see dolly the sheep)
if your current cat passes away then just give a home to one of the
hundreds of thousands of already living homeless animals out there in
shelters just desperate for someone to take care of them

i have to stop now or I might start to get really angry about this
whole issue

bookie

Company to clone cats Marie Griffiths Remove Rubbish Cat community 3 May 4th 04 02:08 AM
Clone? bewtifulfreak Cat community 11 September 5th 03 04:50 PM
The Clone is unhappy! Julie Cook Cat anecdotes 5 August 16th 03 10:56 PM