Behaviour problems after 8 weeks

Old January 7th 04, 07:31 PM
Smith

Default Behaviour problems after 8 weeks

My lovely Felix died back in November and I got a new boy, a rescue cat
called Maurice who's around 3 years old. We know his history and he's not
been abused, just the product of a broken marrieage. He's been pushed from
pillar to post, before finally settling with us. He settled in well with the
other 3, and I rang my friend at the cat rescue on boxing day to tell her
how well he was settling in and what a softie he was.

Well the past 2 weeks he has become very unpredictable, and twice in the
last week he has scratched and bitten me quite badly. After he did it last
night I rang my friend in tears, as I don't know what to do. I yelled at
him when he did it, but then felt awful for yelling, but he can't be allowed
to scratch and bite like that.

He also has other strange behaviour developing. He lays on the floor and
crosses his front feet then kicks them with his back legs, and he sits quite
far back on his bottom and kicks himself under the chin. He's also started
attacking our girly cat, Millie, who is flighty at the best of times, but is
now not happy at all.

My friend suggested a few things to try, but wondered if anyone had any
ideas.

She said we had to ban catnip (I use it quite a lot on their toys and beds)
as in some cats it has the effect of making them like feral cats. She also
said let him play with his toys on his own. Both times he's attacked me,
it's been after we've been playing ball with him, and he's got himself a bit
wound up. Lastly she suggested that when I take the others for their
boosters next week I should take Maurice along too and get both his teeth
and anal glands checked.

Both times we've made friends again, and generally he's a friendly boy. I
read some other posts on here just now, and decided that after chastising
him, if he continues he'll go in the downstairs toilet (the slammer) for 10
minutes.

Any help appreciated.

--
=^..^=

Old January 8th 04, 02:55 AM
Karen

in article , Smith at
wrote on 1/7/04 1:31 PM:

[...]

I don't think it's the catnip. It can make them frisky but never heard of
turning them feral. Sounds like he was too wound up with play, however, I
agree that his anal glands might be bothering him. I notice my boy gets more
obstreperous when his are acting up. You might also look into a Feliway
diffuser. Ask your vet about that. Since you can pinpoint they
biting/scratching to right after heavy play, be sure to stop playing before
he gets too wound up. That is the most likely culprit. And as long as he
isn't bothering anyone else, if this happens, just instantly ignore him and
go do something else as SOON as he does it.

Karen

Old January 8th 04, 03:11 AM
Cathy Friedmann

I also highly doubt if the catnip's to blame, & concur that he should get
his anal glands checked in case they need expressing. And I also agree that
you might want to try the Feliway diffuser (works by releasing a pheromone).

Cathy

("The Boy in the Bubble") Paul Simon

"Karen" wrote in message
.. .
in article , Smith at

Old January 8th 04, 03:11 AM
Cathy Friedmann

I also highly doubt if the catnip's to blame, & concur that he should get
his anal glands checked in case they need expressing. And I also agree that
you might want to try the Feliway diffuser (works by releasing a pheromone).

Cathy

("The Boy in the Bubble") Paul Simon

"Karen" wrote in message
.. .
in article , Smith at

Old January 8th 04, 05:02 AM
Chris

Catnip makes one of my cats get very nasty! she is normally a very sweet &
loving cat but gets real aggressive with catnip--we call her a 'mean drunk'

Old January 8th 04, 04:30 PM
frlpwr

Smith wrote:

(snip)

She said we had to ban catnip (I use it quite a lot on their toys and beds) as in some cats it has the effect of making them like feral cats.

Mind explaining what "like feral cats" means? I think feral cats have a
tough enough time in this world without you implying they have ramped up
tendencies towards aggression. In fact, feral cats live by strict
social rules and their aggression is most often ritualized.

Old January 8th 04, 04:40 PM
frlpwr

Karen wrote:

It can make them frisky but never heard of
turning them feral.

This is misuse of the term "feral" Please don't use "feral"
as a synonom for "mean". This encourages people to regard feral cats as
menances and to eliminate them out of fear.

I interact daily with close to a hundred feral cats. You'd be hard put
to find housecats more intelligent, more noble or more tolerant of
change, including the presence of other animals of all species, than
these cats.

Feralpower!