Dental Purrs Needed

Old December 3rd 08, 12:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Gandalf

Default Dental Purrs Needed

On Tue, 2 Dec 2008 10:33:17 -0600, "CatNipped"
wrote:

I noticed Jessie had bad breath last night and when I checked her teeth they
were in a horrid state - to the point that her gums were inflamed (OMG what
a bad mommy I feel like for not noticing this sooner!!). I got her in today
for a dental, and I'm very nervous about it. She's only 9 and she's in
better shape than Da Boyz (she chases the red dot greeble up and down the
stairs, running full out, 20 - 25 times in a row and doesn't even get
winded). But, of course, any time a cat goes under anesthesia there the
possibility of complications.

Some dental purrs for Jessie would be appreciated (hopefully she won't have
to have any, or not too many extractions), and some calming purrs for me
would also be nice.

I'm sure Jessie will be just fine.

I know exactly how you feel: Kenzie had a dental in the spring of this
year, and I was a nervous wreck.

Purrs are on the way for no problems.

~~~~~~~~~~~~ ^..^

- Robert Heinlein

Old December 3rd 08, 01:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"CatNipped" wrote in message
I noticed Jessie had bad breath last night and when I checked her
teeth they were in a horrid state - to the point that her gums were
inflamed (OMG what a bad mommy I feel like for not noticing this
sooner!!). I got her in today for a dental, and I'm very nervous
about it. She's only 9 and she's in better shape than Da Boyz (she
chases the red dot greeble up and down the stairs, running full out,
20 - 25 times in a row and doesn't even get winded). But, of course,
any time a cat goes under anesthesia there the possibility of
complications.

Some dental purrs for Jessie would be appreciated (hopefully she
won't have to have any, or not too many extractions), and some
calming purrs for me would also be nice.

Purrs for Jessie and for you. I always hate dentals for cats.
Unfortunately bad or dirty teeth are a big problem for most cats so we
have to live with the risk of anesthesia.

Wish they could come up with a way to prevent dental problems in cats.

Jo

Old December 5th 08, 08:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
cl

Default Dental Purrs Needed - Update

CatNipped wrote:
The vet just called, Jessie came through just fine and she didn't even have
to have an extraction. They said getting the tartar off should help the gum
inflammation, but that I need to regularly brush her teeth to prevent it
from coming back. My poor fingers! :O

Hugs,

CatNipped

Glad to hear that Jessie made it through ok with no major problems. I
use Petkin tooth wipes in lieu of brushing my cats teeth as one of them
is impossible to brush. You just wipe their teeth off, and gums with
them. The wipes contain enzymes which kill plaque bacteria. You can also
get petkin liquid oral care to add to their drinking water, and Petrodex
Dental Rinse Spray for dogs & cats which you spray in their mouth
between brushing or whatnot which cleans their breath and reduce tartar
buildup. Just a few options to look into.

cl

Old December 5th 08, 02:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"cl" wrote in message
CatNipped wrote:
[...]

Thank you! That does seem much easier than brushing would. Sammy will
fight me to the death over having her claws clipped or her hair brushed
(seriously, I have scars from her over that) - so I can't imagine her
sitting still for 5 minutes while I brush her teeth. I'm printing out your
note and sticking it in my purse for the next time I go to PetsMart.

Hugs,

CatNipped