Is it just me, or...

Old December 4th 08, 04:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

Default Is it just me, or...

On Dec 4, 8:27*am, "CatNipped" wrote:

It's not illogical that more suicides are committed at Christmas than any
other time of year combined.

Reminds me of something that happened to me years ago, I mean it was
in those happy days before I met Dave although there were no cats in
my life at the time so one thing cancels out the other!

I was the station a week before Xmas and there were a lot of police
about so I asked the ticket guy what happened and got told someone had
jumped under a train (At the inquest it came out she was from Kenya,
visting her family over here for the first time and apparently in
Kenya where the train runs maybe 3 times a day and the ground is so
flat you can see for miles so people regularly cross the tracks. She
had only been here a day and got on the wrong platform and the verdict
was withouth thinking she crossed the tracks not realising the express
to Southend was coming through so it was misadventure rather than
suicide)

Anyway at the time I said to the ticket guy how sad and Fag Ash Lil
joined the conversation- I don't know what her real name was or who
called her that to begin with but she was an elderly lady tramp who
bumed fags (begged for cigarettes for our American readers) off
everyone and she starts going on about how Xmas is a bad time, people
realise they've lost people or they haven't got anyone and it's worse
being lonely at this time of year so a lot of people kill themselves
and I nodded politely because yes, the suicide rate is highest round
about Xmas.

But the finale was when she grabbed my arm and said (wait for it!)

"And if you're not careful dearie you'll end up the same way!"

Charming

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Old December 4th 08, 05:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"Lesley" wrote in message
[...]

Wow, what an experience, and how tragic!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old December 4th 08, 09:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

hopitus wrote:

For those who have nothing else to do while staying inside out of the
nasty weather....like me this evening, here is something we've been having
fun with.....

http://www.greenies.com/seasonsgreen....aspx?csid=660

Read the rules first; we're stuck at Level 7.

That one is too CPU-intensive for my ancient computer! It didn't crash
the browser, but everything happened in slow motion, which made the game
sort of incomprehensible.

sigh The world is moving on with out me. Time to upgrade. Actually,
it's well past the time to upgrade, but I haven't had time to do any
shopping for one, and I don't want Vista. (I do have to get a PC
because I have hopes of working at home someday, if/when my corporate
masters ever allow me to do so. For that I will need a Windows system,
but I'd vastly prefer XP.)

--
Joyce ^..^

Old December 4th 08, 09:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

hopitus wrote:

On Dec 4, 2:06 pm, wrote:

hopitus wrote:

http://www.greenies.com/seasonsgreen....aspx?csid=660

That one is too CPU-intensive for my ancient computer!

No problem, why should you? You might have a nicer setup than many
people, but on the other hand, very few people have as poor a setup as
I do.

Is it really impossible to buy a new XP computer?? So annoying.

--
Joyce ^..^

Old December 4th 08, 11:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

hopitus wrote:

Is it really impossible to buy a new XP computer?? So annoying.

No, I got it this way when I put stuff together shortly after I got
here
to MileHigh (for one thing, trip up here from south FL in truck bed
ruined that hard drive, LOL)

Yeah, but that was a few years ago. Microsoft stopped selling XP
computers this past summer. At least, that's what they said. Maybe
there was such an uproar from their customers that they changed their
mind? I don't know anyone who wants Vista.

But Joyce, I've seen a lotta ads not online (tons of stuff there) but
in
local ad sections of newspapers where tiny fine print states if you
don't want the Vista, they'll substitute XP for you! [snip]
so many people
really have animosity to Vista I think maybe that's why the dealers
offer XP choice just to get their PCs sold.....

That's good to hear!

--
Joyce ^..^

Old December 4th 08, 11:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

wrote in message
hopitus wrote:

[...]

Vista isn't nearly the monster people make it out to be. I think (for a
price) you can still order a few XP machines from Dell... at least you could
when I got here last January. Not sure if that's true anymore.

Jill

Old December 5th 08, 12:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Flippy[_4_]

"Yowie" wrote:
I know its supposed to be a special time of year, but I really really
don't like Christmas.

Me neither. I just can't wait for it all to be over for another year.

Old December 5th 08, 12:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Lorraine" wrote in message
On Wed, 3 Dec 2008 22:15:59 -0600, ":-\)Liz"
wrote:

I wish I could be around..... I could sure use the support, humor and just
getting some time to myself...but since my Mother passed away on Oct
26th...I've been stuck trying to handle everything alone...and there are
MAJOR problems with the estate, my brother and Disability...his
bankruptcy
...his meds... my sister issues... Just total C*ap...If anyone has a spare
purr I desperately need one!... Huggs and purrs to all those in
need...I've
not got to read anything since the 27th...So I'm Clueless...I Miss You
Guys!

(((((Liz)))) I know how hard it was handling my mother's estate that she
had well organized with help, and no other problems at the time. Lots
of purrs coming your way. I hope you're able to take out some time for
yourself in the coming weeks. You deserve it.

L.

I somehow missed your original post, Liz. Hugs and purrs from me, too. I
agree with everything Lorraine said.

Joy

Old December 5th 08, 01:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Flippy wrote:

"Yowie" wrote:

I know its supposed to be a special time of year, but I really really
don't like Christmas.

Me neither. I just can't wait for it all to be over for another year.

I've come to enjoy the season. Of course I can't stand all the buy, buy
frenzy, but I don't know anyone who likes that. I don't have strong
childhood memories associated with Christmas or high expectations about
it, so I don't crash if I have nothing special to do. I just sit back
and enjoy the pretty lights, music and occasions for eating chocolate.

I have a harder time with New Year's Eve - I'm always worried that I
won't have anything to do and will spend the evening alone. That would
depress me. But it hasn't happened since high school, and even then, I
baby-sat, so it wasn't so bad. I don't know why I worry so much!

--
Joyce ^..^

Old December 5th 08, 02:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

hopitus wrote:

and NYE ( a hellish worknight never failing, starting nonstop when the
sun sets) the non-Jewish or non-religion coworkers reciprocated in
kind.
If you got in the right mood for it, though, I didn't mind being there
at work
as hospital management always saw we had plenty of food goodies in our
break room to enjoy between *big red bus* landings at our door. NYE
means different things to different people, doesn't it?

Some people see it as a night for big parties, other see it as a
romantic night for two. I prefer something in-between, and prefer
a small, intimate gathering of friends. And some people see it as a
time to get completely plastered, but as you can imagine, that doesn't
appeal to me much.

I also prefer to be close to home. Last year, a friend who lives a
few blocks away from me had a NYE party, and it was a total joy to be
able to *walk* home. I'm terrified of the roads on that night.

--
Joyce ^..^