Magical Names For Cats And Howthey Got Them

Old December 6th 08, 02:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tabbylover

Default Magical Names For Cats And Howthey Got Them

Okay here we go.

For those of you who do not know me I have 2 Tabby Cats.

1 is called Taffeta who is named after the type of material taffeta
bow. We rescued her when she was a kitten and she was named Taffeta
then because all the kittens were named after material there was a
kitten called Velvet, another called Harris after the material harris
tweed and a couple of others but I can't remeber what their names
were. Anyway you get the picture we liked the name Taffeta so much
that we kept it.

My other cat is called Pipsqueak. So named because when he was small
he would squeak instead of meowing and as he was small the name
Pipsqueak seemed to fit quite well.

Let's hear your magical names
Tabbylover
http://justbyjulies-cats.blogspot.com/
Old December 6th 08, 09:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Baird Stafford

In article
,
tabbylover wrote:

Okay here we go.

For those of you who do not know me I have 2 Tabby Cats.

1 is called Taffeta who is named after the type of material taffeta
bow. We rescued her when she was a kitten and she was named Taffeta
then because all the kittens were named after material there was a
kitten called Velvet, another called Harris after the material harris
tweed and a couple of others but I can't remeber what their names
were. Anyway you get the picture we liked the name Taffeta so much
that we kept it.

My other cat is called Pipsqueak. So named because when he was small
he would squeak instead of meowing and as he was small the name
Pipsqueak seemed to fit quite well.

Let's hear your magical names

Leila came from the shelter already named (although she's learnt a
couple mo "Get down from there!" and "Get out of that!" being to of
the most prominent, although "And just what do you think *you're*
doing?" is climbing fast in the charts). Her name is magical, though,
because she originally went to live with the Dowager who was then in one
of the early middle stages of Alzheimer's. "Leila" was also the name by
which everyone in the family called the Dowager's mother-in-law, my
paternal grandmother, so it was easier for the Dowager to remember. (My
grandmother's real name was Mary Elizabeth, but it morphed to M'Leila
when *she* was very small and just learning about things like names, and
the change stuck - she remained M'Leila to close friends and Mama Leila
to her children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren ever after).

I'd promised both the shelter and Leila that if (which turned out to be
when) the Dowager was no longer able to care for her, she would come
live with me - and have never even *tried* to persuade her to answer to
another name.

Her name still seems magical to me since it is, in a sense, a "family"
name, and it was already hers when she came to us.

Baird

--
Bumper sticker: "If you can't operate your turn signal,
what makes you think you can drive the rest of the car?"
Old December 7th 08, 01:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Steve Touchstone[_3_]

I'm one of the worst at coming up with names, so most of my cats have
ended up with names suggested by their appearance. Here's a few

Mittens (RB mid to late 60s) a polydactyl whose front paws looked like
.... Mittens

Tarheels (RB early 70s) a tuxedo girl with mostly white rear legs,
with black on the heels (elbow) http://tinyurl.com/5qhen2

Rocky (RB) a battle scared ex-feral. Rocky was originally called
Whitey because there were two feral toms in the neighborhood and he
had more white. Rocky was the named after Rocky Bolboa in the later
Rocky movies. He was an ex-fighter who appeared mentally slow - but
was actually pretty smart http://tinyurl.com/6c7okz

Little Bit - shortened from 'little bitty pregnant kitty' which is
what she was called by a neighbor when LB first showed up as a stray
http://tinyurl.com/5zsl87

Sammy - named by the neighbor who gave LB her name
http://tinyurl.com/6ddjbt

Spotty named ... well because she has spots http://tinyurl.com/6x5ypz

Princess because of her regal aristocratic bearing
http://tinyurl.com/693xt8

Furby shortened from furball. http://tinyurl.com/5bcwtu Being a
confirmed bachelor I wasn't even aware that Furbies were once the
'must have' toy one Christmas in the late 90s
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Furby
--
Steve Touchstone
Little Bit, Sammy, Spotty, Princess, Furby
Old December 7th 08, 03:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

O T Mahoney is an orange cat. The house we got his poor fleabitten self
from was inhabited by two very special needs persons who had no idea about
how to care for baby kittens. They just called him Orange Thing. The
Mahoney came from a book I once read. After learning Dan's last name I told
him I hoped he didn't mind a cat being names with his name. He said No he
didn't.

Miz Piglet who came to us as a too young baby was named Miz Piglet as my
husband wouldn't let me have a Vietnamese Pig so I named her what I did.
She isn't called by "here Kitty" but by Piggy, Piggy" and she comes running.

Willow sort of told me her name, not sure how. Lee and I added the
Whispering (Willow) Walker as we went to Oklahoma to meet Julie to get her.

I still get teased about my $400.00 free cat. Between gas, hotel, food and
vet, in case you were going to ask.

Old December 7th 08, 05:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

My two are named Dot and Buster, and they do seem to know and answer
to these names. Dot in particular, I can summon from any part of the
house by just saying, "Come here Dot" in a normal tone of voice.

But they have other things too. I call Dot "Love Cat", and Buster is
"Tiger Baby". Also, if they were named after their vocalizations, Dot
would probably be named "Eck" or "Eeek", and Buster would be "Mau" or
"Mrr".
Old December 7th 08, 05:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

tabbylover wrote:

1 is called Taffeta who is named after the type of material taffeta
bow. We rescued her when she was a kitten and she was named Taffeta
then because all the kittens were named after material there was a
kitten called Velvet, another called Harris after the material harris
tweed and a couple of others but I can't remeber what their names
were.

My Miranda also came from a litter where all the kittens were named
after types of cloth. Miranda was originally named Cashmere. It had
morphed into Mere when I got her, and when she was a bitty, that seemed
like enough of a name for her. But when she grew older I thought she
needed a proper name.

Now, long ago when I first read The Tempest, I'd thought that, one day,
I would get a tabby catgirl and name her Miranda. I speak Swedish to my
cats, and I thought I could 'cleverly' shorten it to Randi, as the
Swedish word randig means stripey. Whoa, what an elaborate plan.

Well, when thinking about what to name Mere, or Mir-mir as I'd also
started calling her, I thought I'd try Miranda on her, though she's not
stripey. I said it out loud when she was ambling around in the flat, and
she immediately looked at me and started walking towards me. So she
became Miranda. She's gained a surname now, Mills. Mir-mir morphed into
Mills-mills, so now she's Miranda Mills.

When I got Caliban, his name was Leo. I once knew an obnoxious person
named Leo, so I didn't want to keep that name. I decided to go with the
Tempest theme, but there were several male characters to choose from:
Ariel, Ferdinand, Caliban... But when I saw him in action, and how
Miranda hated him at first, I knew he could only be Caliban. They're
good friends now, but I'm glad I didn't name him after an airy spirit or
a handsome prince. It wouldn't fit him.

--
Marina, Miranda and Caliban.
In loving memory of Frank and Nikki.
Old December 7th 08, 03:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On Dec 6, 6:52*am, tabbylover wrote:

Speedy Joe wasn't named by us so I can't say where his name came from
but by the time he took up residence aged 5 months we didn't want to
confuse him by changing it , he answered to it anyway

Fugazi is a Vietnamese word meaning "Chaos" and as she never mastered
the idea that cats were supposed to be graceful (she could demolish
the kitchen by walking along a wide worktop- her approach to things in
her way was to knock them down rather than walk round them. If we
ever heard anything going crash in the house we'd both call out "Gaz!"
without thinking- on a couple of occasions she wasn't the guilty
party) things could get chaotic around her

Isis got her name when the day we got her she sat like the classic
Egyptian cat statue and Dave wanted to name her after the cat goddess
but when told that would make her name Bastet he wasn't keen but he
said "Wasn't there a goddess called Isis?" and I said "Yep the top
goddess" and he said you could see she was going to be top ruler of
her domain (our flat- she did not do outside!) so what better name
than Isis?

Originally he was going to call Isis, Redunzel but chose Isis then 16
years later when he couldn't think what to call one of the new
arrivals I mentioned Redunzel and he declared she was a Redunzel (we
name one kitten each Fugazi and Sarrasine were my suggestions).
Originally spelt RDNZL but we've got used to putting the vowels in, in
that order as that's how its pronouced- it's a Frank Zappa track. The
story was that he got a small black kitten, which he called RDNZL but
Dweezil his then 3-year old son insisted the cats name was Fightey-
Bitey. Zappa then wrote a very beautiful instrumental peice called
RDNZL inspired by the sight of the kitten tumbling all over the place
as he played. Now our Redunzel even now falls off things through she
has gradually got a bit more sense as she;s got older. The problem is
she likes high places like the top of the bookcase and she also likes
to be skritched whilst up there she rolls over and sticks her head
down for skritchies but she's always hard to reach so she edges closer
and closer to the edge then falls off....I got very good at catching
her when she was a kitten. She once dragged an old pillow to the foot
of the bookcase and Dave said wasn't it sweet she made a little bed
there and I expressed the opinion she had put it there for a soft
landing!

Sarrasine is the title of a Balzac short story although I first ran
into it reading a supplement for the Vampi the Masquerade RPG then
a friend told me it's a corruption of the French medieval word
Sarrasin which in turn comes from the much older Saracen and simply
means a dark skinned person. And she's a black cat and even as a
kitten she was very much her own person so it suited her.

Of course around the house all cats who have ever owned me have it
some time or another been called "Soppy littl'un aren;t you?"
"Beautiful kitten" "Stop that NOW" "Get down from there you little
sod!" amongst other things

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs